skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Apple cupcakes with caramel buttercream and caramel glaze
Created On Friday October 21, 2011 11:22 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Spooky_789
Posted: Friday October 21, 2011 11:22 AM
View users profile

I had asked a question over in the General Information forum about freezing scratch batter and cupcakes. I thought I should share the recipe I'm making tomorrow.

It comes from the blog Half Baked - The Cake Blog.

Apple Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream & Caramel Glaze
(makes 24 cupcakes)

For the cake:

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon
3 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup sour cream
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups peeled, chopped apples (I used 1 Granny Smith and 1 Gala)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pans with cupcake liners.

In large bowl combine dry ingredients: flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

Add all wet ingredients to dry ingredients: eggs, vegetable oil, sour cream and vanilla. Mix well with wire whisk until well blended. Fold in chopped apples.

Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full with batter. Bake for 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks to finish cooling.

Once cupcakes are completely cool frost with Caramel Buttercream.

For the icing:
1 stick unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar

In saucepan over medium heat melt butter.

Stir in brown sugar and heavy cream and keep over medium heat until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.

Transfer mixture to mixing bowl. Gradually add confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time and mix with electric mixer until incorporated.

Frost cupcakes using an offset spatula.

For the caramel glaze:
1 (14oz) bag Kraft Caramels
2/3 cup half-and-half

Microwave caramels and half-and-half on High 3 to 3 1/2 minutes or until caramels are completely melted, stirring after each minute.

Allow caramel to cool for 1-2 minutes.

Dip top of frosted cupcakes into bowl of caramel.

For the garnish:
24 wooden popsicle sticks
sprinkles
candy corn
chopped pecans

Once cupcakes have been dipped in caramel, top with your favorite garnish before caramel sets.
Insert popsicle stick.

*Note: I recommend frosting all cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream first. Then melt your caramels and dip cupcakes one at a time immediately adding toppings to each before caramel sets. These cupcakes are kind of messy, so I recommend eating with a fork.

Report Violation

Bottom

auntpay
Posted: Friday October 21, 2011 11:03 PM

Thanks Spooky!!! Perfect for this time of year too, they sound amazing!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakecrazymom
Posted: Monday October 24, 2011 2:14 PM

i have been searching for a caramel buttercream frosting! the only problem i have is, i'm making a fondant covered wedding cake and i need a caramel frosting filling for one of the tiers. i don't want to refrigerate my fondant covered cake, but i can't find a recipe for the caramel frosting that doesn't have milk or heavy cream. do you think i could use evaporated milk instead or do you think that would have to be refrigerated as well? Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday November 02, 2011 10:40 AM
View users profile

I made these cupcakes again this weekend and instead of putting the brown sugar icing on using an offset spatula, I loaded my decorator bag with a plain round tip (forget the # but it's about 1/4" across), and piped on the icing. It went so much faster!

Then, when dipping in the caramel, be sure to apply sprinkles or candy corn or pecan pieces right away as the caramel does begin to set up quickly and you want your topping to stick.

I used the cookie pop sticks for these, the shorter ones that are about 6" long. They fit perfectly in the little goodie bags.

Oh, and if you have leftover caramel, it makes a great dip for your leftover apples!

P.S. You're not seeing double. I posted this over in seasonal too. I forgot where I was!

Report Violation

Bottom

sassygrass~sweets
Posted: Tuesday November 08, 2011 11:58 AM

Can this recipe be used in a cake pan...(not as cupcakes)???

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday November 08, 2011 12:46 PM
View users profile

Probably. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Sunday October 13, 2013 9:58 AM
View users profile

Bumping this recipe. I made it again yesterday. Just as awesome! If you haven't tried it, you ought to.

This time, rather than using the 14 oz of caramel that you have to unwrap individually, I used a 13.4 oz can of Nestle dulce de leche instead, with the half n half. Worked just as well and was a lot easier!

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Sunday October 13, 2013 6:06 PM

Oh good Lord these sound, and look, heavenly. Printing this one out now. I have a huge box of those popsicle sticks and was hoping to get a good idea to use them and this will do it for me!!! Thanks Spooky. You always have these to die for recipes.

Report Violation

Bottom

Staci13
Posted: Sunday October 13, 2013 9:08 PM

This sounds so awesome! Does it need to be refrigerated?

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Sunday October 13, 2013 11:18 PM

They DO sound GREAT!!! Just when I have a line up of recipes I want to try when I have time, you add one more to my long list! But that's a good thing!!

If anyone is wondering about using something to make the caramel buttercream instead of heavy cream, I made some of BW's BC with a vanilla caramel coffee creamer and it was great. Using it instead of the heavy cream here it would make this an icing that doesn't require refrigeration.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday October 14, 2013 12:13 AM
View users profile

I didn't refrigerate them as the cream and butter get heated to boiling. Of course, that doesn't mean that they shouldn't be refrigerated, I just didn't.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmoose
Posted: Monday October 14, 2013 4:33 PM
View users profile

All I know is that I just made these today for family as Im a huge caramel apple fan. I did 12 cupcakes and a 8 inch cake and have about 2 slices of cake left family and neighbors grabbed them very fast

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday October 14, 2013 8:26 PM
View users profile

Glad you all enjoyed it. I took the left over cupcakes to work today. I made these and some salted caramel pumpkin spice cupcakes with cinnamon SMBC. They were all gone by time I went up to get my pan.

Report Violation

Bottom

cycakes
Posted: Thursday October 17, 2013 8:16 AM

Spooky - I made this frosting recipe as well & would offer 1 suggestion let the butter cool (not solidify just cool I did this with my brown butter recipe as well) before incorporating the rest. I had to wait for the frosting to cool before I could put it in a bag and frost my cupcakes as it still warm and really soupy.

I was surprised that it did crust lightly after resting, in case anyone is interested in that.

p.s. I bet this frosting would be AWESOME on bunnywomans pumpkin pie cake recipe too!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Thursday October 17, 2013 8:40 AM
View users profile

For the icing? But then the brown sugar wouldn't totally dissolve. You actually need to cook this for a while with the brown sugar, butter and heavy cream, so that the sugar totally dissolves and to help develope that caramel flavor in the icing. Once you put it in your mixer, and start slowly adding the powdered sugar, it thickens up. In fact, I let mine sit almost too long and it was a witch to pipe out (using #12 tip) and my hand was sore for a couple of days afterward.

But I'm glad that worked for you.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmoose
Posted: Monday October 28, 2013 12:14 PM
View users profile

Spooky a friend wanted me to make this for thanksgiving but in a cake I know I can but what is your thoughts on our being able to stack

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday October 28, 2013 7:38 PM
View users profile

It should probably work. Are you talking just a two layer cake, or a tiered cake? I'd just take care to support the layers well while taking them out of the pans and then stacking them. Perhaps partially freezing them will help prevent any breakage. Let me know how it turns out.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmoose
Posted: Monday October 28, 2013 8:21 PM
View users profile

I figure I would do a two layer caramel apple cake for the top and a butter pecan for the bottom as I would hate to travel for an hr and they fall all to pieces

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday October 29, 2013 8:16 AM
View users profile

Proper support will help, but you should be good. Traveling with cold cake also helps keep them stable.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: