skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Crumb Donut topping (and donut glaze)?
Created On Saturday October 15, 2011 10:31 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

KitKat79
Posted: Saturday October 15, 2011 10:31 PM

I'm pretty convinced that, collectively, all of you on here have the recipe to make everything baking-related in the world, so I'm betting that you guys will be able to help with this.

I may in fact be crazy, but I want to try my hand at homemade apple donuts. Last fall, I had an apple donut with crumb topping that was just amazing. I have a ton of candidate recipes for the apple donuts themselves, but I'm having trouble with the finishing touches. I don't know if I'm just putting the wrong search terms into google or what the deal is, but unless it's a baked donut (or one for a "raw food" diet :/), I can't seem to find a recipe for crumb topping or a good one for a very thin glaze. The donuts I had last fall were fried, dipped in a thin glaze (they were coated all over in this stuff--it wasn't thick like you'd find on something like a chocolate glazed donut), and had the crumb topping sprinkled on top. Cinnamon was definitely involved. I think there's a high probability that there were walnuts as well.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday October 16, 2011 6:17 PM
View users profile

Could the topping be like one found on an apple crisp? The glaze might just be powdered sugar and water or milk.

Report Violation

Bottom

KitKat79
Posted: Monday October 17, 2011 8:29 PM

I'd say it was closer to a streusel than what you'd see on a crisp. Maybe I could somehow bake streusel, crumble it up, and then sprinkle it on the donuts?

I may try to just water down one of the thicker glaze recipes until it's really thin and see how that goes.

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday October 17, 2011 9:22 PM

flour, brown sugar, tad bit of sugar, cinnamon, cold butter, crushed pecans...........

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday October 17, 2011 11:03 PM

Here's something I found, not sure if it's what you're looking for. It's a donut with a sugared walnut streusel.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2004/10/maple_glazed_sour_cream_doughnuts_with_sugar_walnut_streusel

Report Violation

Bottom

KitKat79
Posted: Sunday October 23, 2011 8:56 PM

Thanks! I think I'm going to try the streusal topping for my crumbs. I also found a recipe (as part of a cookie recipe) for baking regular streusel by itself: http://bakingbites.com/2009/01/oatmeal-streusel-cookies/. I feel that it may have a future application in (cup)caking.

I'm going to use this recipe for the donuts: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A8595-2004Oct5_2.html. I think I'm going to fry in shortening (per Smitten Kitchen) rather than vegetable oil though.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: