skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Tres Leches Cake
Created On Friday September 30, 2011 12:20 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View thread in raw text format

ShortSweetCakes!
Posted: Monday October 24, 2011 12:12 PM

Lisa - Tres Leches cake is very popular in many parts of latin america and is a absolutely delicious cake. If you have not tried this cake, you should and you might even be suprised as to how sweet and light the cake is.... It is a very light and fluffy cake with many air bubbles soaked in the 3 milks mentioned in Pastelitos lovely recipe below and keep in mind that there are several variations of this cake there really is no "one" way to make it. It can become messy if you do not bake your cake right I guess. Hopefully you will get the chance to enjoy a piece of the Tres Leches cake. I made a Tres Leches cake compliments of pastilitos recipe and attached a picture in this conversation. take a look at it.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday November 07, 2011 12:38 PM
View users profile

I see you made this as a sheet cake (which looks yummy!). Can it be made using round pans as well? Then stacked?

I saw on a commercial online where they made a two layer tres leches cake. They frosted it and put fresh fruit on top.

I like the idea of putting strawberries in the filling, then almonds on the side.

So my questions are:

1) Can you use round pans and stack this to make a two layer cake? Any tips for doing this?

2) What type of frosting do you use? Buttercream? Whipped? Something else?

3) Does the cake leak? Seems like a silly question but again, being a tres leches cake virgin, I want to know what I may be dealing with.

Thanks so much for your help!

Report Violation

Bottom

pastelitos
Posted: Monday November 07, 2011 5:30 PM

Spooky_79
1- You can most definitely make this into a round cake you can make it two layers,fill and stack.
2. I love the Bakers Pride or Pastry Pride I forget the name but I find it at Smart and Final..You could use any icing you like.
3. If won't leak if you don't poke holes. Like I mentioned if you take the thin layer of cake( don't know the proper name for it) you sort of unveil the natural holes of the cake so that will soak up the milks...
Another way you can do it is that you take out the cake, line the pan with plastic wrap, put the cake back in the pan, pour the milk over it, cover it and let it sit in the fridge overnight.
I hope this helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

vaniroel
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 3:59 PM

I am going to try this cake hopefully this weekend! I am going to try to make it in layer form.

Report Violation

Bottom

pasteles de inglaterra
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 4:23 PM

I live in southern mexico and tres leches is very popular.

I will be interested in seeing how it works with a layered cake. I have never seen that format presented here. Please post your results...thank you.

Report Violation

Bottom

vaniroel
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 4:29 PM

pastelitos, do you pour the milk mixture on when the cake is still warm or do you wait till the cake is completely cool? I read somewhere you bake the cake, cool it on a cooling rack, put it back in the pan face up, pour the milk mixture over it, stick in the fridge 6-8 hours or overnight, then remove the cake and put on a cake board, frost and layer as usual. Does this sound correct? This is how I plan on doing it.

pasteles de inglaterra, I will post my results if I make it this weekend. If not this weekend def. soon. I need to try it out so I can add it to my menu.

Report Violation

Bottom

LisaH
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 6:14 PM

ShortSweetCakes - I still have not tried this. I will one of these days. I'll check out your picture too. Any input on how to "bake my cake right"? Is it really a matter of baking or is it pouring the milk over it at the right time? Pastelitos - I never said it sounded "gross". Don't know where you got that from. I meant, having never made such a cake, I don't understand how a cake baked with only 3 cups of flour and a few other ingredients (including all those egg yolks which can make a cake "rubbery") can possibly suck up that much liquid. Simple as that.

Report Violation

Bottom

pasteles de inglaterra
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 6:56 PM

LisaH- the tres leches cake is wet...there is no other way to describe it. If you put it onto a paper towel , you will see a damp spot. There isnt much "sucking up" going on..LOL

My husband and I dont care for this cake due to its wetness.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday March 20, 2012 8:07 AM
View users profile

I made a tres leches cake, not this recipe, but one from scratch. The kind where you separate the eggs, beat the whites, and fold them in. After baking, I poured the milk mixture on right away for it to soak it all up. I did leave the cake in the 9x13 pan. Put it in the fridge over night, then whipped up some whipping cream then topped with a marachino cherry on each serving.

The texture of the cake, as best as I can describe it, was custard-like. It wasn't smooth like custard, but kind of like a bread pudding type custard. It wasn't too bad. And the longer it sat in the fridge, the tastier it got.

I don't know how this would be using a cake box mix. I'd think that kind of cake would get all mushy, and not in a good way.

Report Violation

Bottom

pasteles de inglaterra
Posted: Tuesday March 20, 2012 9:58 AM

Spooky-789-you are right on with your description.
I think using a cake mix with this type of recipe you will end up with a soup at the end.

I think this cake must have originated when the woman "baked" a cake over direct flame, so the cake was very tough. I think the adding of the milks gave the cake a sweet taste and softened what must have been a hard exterior. Otherwise it might have been not so tasty. Meringue and fruit to decorate due to their abundance.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 Previous ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: