skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Gluten free box mix?
Created On Tuesday July 12, 2011 1:01 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

AwsmCakeDecorator123
Posted: Monday July 18, 2011 9:47 PM

I've been reading all of this because my aunt has to eat GF food so i want to make a special birthday cake for her i found out about betty crocker GF cake mix and i was wondering does it taste good? does it taste the almost the same as normal cake mix? I heard it has a different texture but im wondering about taste so my uncle and aunt and cousins and my parents will like it Thank you guyz

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday July 19, 2011 6:44 AM

Welcome AwsmCakeDecorator123! So far, Spooky is the only one that has commented on the taste. She said the flavor was good! I haven't baked it yet and plan on reading up on it a little to see if the taste can be "doctored up" like a regular cake mix can.

Report Violation

Bottom

GFinTX
Posted: Thursday July 21, 2011 1:02 AM

When baking a GF cake you should be aware of cross contamination issues. Wheat flour from your baking can stay airborne for 48 hours & it will settle on everything. Also, if you have put a spoon that you used to stir or measure flour with into your sugar canister, your sugar is now cross contaminated with wheat. That will make some of us very ill. Not to mention just the fact that your sugar is left uncovered while cooking with wheat flour.

Also, all of your baking pans will be cross contaminated with the wheat/gluten residue. It is always best to check with the person that you are baking for about how sensitive that they are to cross contamination.

Putting a GF cake layer on top of a gluten layer will not work for most of us. There again it is better to check with the person that you are baking for. We all have different levels of sensitivity.

As far as the Betty Crocker cake mixes go I have heard that they taste fine. My dil sometimes uses them, she and my grandson are also GF. I bake everything from scratch. Most people cannot tell the difference in my baked goods from baked goods with wheat flour. Good luck with your GF baking & I would be interested to know how your experience turns out.
jeannine

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Thursday July 21, 2011 7:13 AM

Hi Jeannine!

You are absolutely right for the majority of gluten intolerant people!! My friend that I am baking for has allergy symptoms to gluten....stuffy nose, sinus congestion, etc. It took 10 years for doctor's to figure this out! She doesn't have Celiac's.

She will indulge in a few slices of regular pizza or have cake here and there, but she always "pays" for it later with the allergy like effects. Gluten isn't life or death for her, thank goodness!

I'm glad you think the BC GF mix is okay taste wise.

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Saturday July 23, 2011 9:11 AM

I just finished baking the BC gluten free vanilla cake mix this morning. The texture of the cake is definitely like homemade cornbread. It does have a pleasant enough taste. I found the cakes to be heavy though and they took forever to get done. I baked 2-6 inch, 1-5 inch, and 1-4 inch layer with 2 cake mixes. These cakes produced a higher than normal dome and the tip of the dome never completely got done. They were baked at 325 degrees. I think next time I will add more flavorings. I used McCormicks vanilla and I'm not a big fan of their flavoring. For the frosting, I had to used the GV brand all vegetable shortening, as it is gluten free. High ratio does not contain gluten, but it is processed in a plant where gluten present so that was out. Oh how I love my high ratio. This icing consistency is definitely not up to par. I used LorAnn's amaretto flavoring along with some vanilla. It tastes very good so maybe it will help masked the difference in the cake. Customer is picking this up for a party tomorrow, so I'll let you know how they liked it.

Report Violation

Bottom

GFinTX
Posted: Saturday July 23, 2011 5:10 PM

Beanie the larger cake pans are hard to bake with GF, as you can see the dough does not cook well in the center. Also, I forgot to tell you that you need to let the cake batter "set" for about 15 to 20 minutes before you put the batter in the cake pans. The GF flours need that time to absorb the liquids. You will notice a marked difference in texture after you let the batter "set". You have to have a good homemade GF recipe to make a 6" layer. I do bake some of my cakes in the regular oblong pans but those would be the easy chocolate cake recipes, carrot cakes, banana bread that type of thing. Also good to use in GF cakes is applesauce.

I am not sure if I mentioned that I sub in coconut oil for the crisco in my icings. But there again I am not selling them and only making them for my family. The coconut oil is about $10.00 & you get maybe 2 cups.

oh, I am sure that they are going to be thrilled with it. We that are GF have a different "taste" than people do that eat wheat. Most of us cannot stand the taste of wheat anymore. Plus we have forgotten how the texture is etc. Some of do have a heightened sense of taste though because wheat will actually mask your taste buds, ofr those of us that have issues with it. Some of us get a pervasive metallic taste that never goes away. When my grandson went GF we just laughed because he kept going on and on about how good his GF food tasted.

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Saturday July 23, 2011 10:27 PM

GFinTX, are these cakes suppose to have an odd odor? I know they're not going to smell like the regular cakes, but it's really strong or I have a really sensitive nose.

Report Violation

Bottom

GFinTX
Posted: Saturday July 23, 2011 10:42 PM

LOL, yes the mixes probably smell different. I do not notice a different small but I only use sorghum flour, potato starch flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour and sometimes for a crisp buttery type cookie some sweet rice flour. If there are any bean flours or any of the other flours like teff, quinoa, etc they tend to have a stronger smell/taste. But do not worry, it is just because you are not used to the GF baking !! They are going to love the cake - take my word for it. They will probably re-order from you!!!

If anyone else bakes GF you can always google "gluten free chocolate cake" or whatever type cake you need and get lots of responses. There are also some professional type bakers that have GF food blogs.
And all the celiac forums have recipe sections.

As an experienced baker any of you will be fine with the recipes. Just read the recipe like you would a regular recipe and look for one that is high in sugar, eggs, butter or oil & it will be perfect. Also good is any cake that has added ingredients like carrot cake etc.

I have printed out Melissa's Sugar cookie on here & see if I can convert it to GF. If I can quit shopping long enough to get to baking...

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Saturday July 23, 2011 10:44 PM

Thank you so much for replying! I've made my husband and daughter taste the cake and icing and they reassured me it was fine. I baked a 4 inch for us to test. Thanks again!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 10:55 AM

GFinTX, thank you so much for the tip on letting the batter rest first!

I love using 1/3 cup of applesauce in place of 1/3 cup of oil in my regular baking. How would I convert one stick of butter to applesauce instead? I'm using the BC GF yellow cake mix.

Or are you saying add some amount of applesauce in addition to (not replace) the fat in the recipe?

Report Violation

Bottom

GFinTX
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 12:20 PM

Chasey, I guess I was not clear on the applesauce, I sometimes use it if I am converting a recipe or if it is a large cake. I only bake from scratch. I would use the butter in the BC GF cake mix. The butter keeps it moist and it also adds flavor. Both very important things with the GF flours. The GF cakes are not as forgiving with changing ingredient proportions as the regular wheat flour recipes are. So it is hard to adjust the recipes...

If someone was dairy free & you could not use the butter, I might use half coconut oil and half applesauce.

Some of your recipes are easier to convert like banana bread and apple cake etc. You can even adapt a banana bread recipe & use applesauce instead of bananas. (I work with a lot of people that have additional allergies). For a person that cannot have sugar I converted a banana bread recipe and used chopped dates cooked to be mushy with some applesauce, while still using the mashed bananas - it got rave reviews.
hope this helps
jeannine

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 12:50 PM

Ahh, I see. I'm afraid to mess with the chemistry of this GF mix! Straight from a box it is then.....

Report Violation

Bottom

marym.
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 2:19 PM
View users profile

My Mom does gluten free and we used the betty crocker and doctored it with some pudding and an extra egg. Tasted good just had a different texture.

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 2:26 PM

marym, what pudding mix did you use?

Report Violation

Bottom

GFinTX
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 6:44 PM

MaryM, There is a recipe for adjusting the yellow cake mix to a pineapple upside down cake. IT has gotten a lot of good reviews. IThe recipe is on the Betty Crocker web site.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakeace
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 10:19 PM

Gluten-Free Yellow Cake By Amy Here is the link: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/gluten-free-yellow-cake/detail.aspx You will need no other recipe. Read the reviews and see how others have changed the recipe. It is very versatile.

Buy the ingredients. Pay the price. You will have repeat customers for sure. The most expensive item is the xanthan gum but it lasts.

Report Violation

Bottom

GFinTX
Posted: Monday July 25, 2011 10:45 PM

I highly recommend EnerG brand of xanthan gum. You can put it in a freezer bag & keep it in the freezer forever. I just put the whole package in a bag & keep it stashed on the door of my freezer.

Report Violation

Bottom

achj48168
Posted: Thursday January 26, 2012 1:17 PM

Thanks for the tip about glutenfreely.com!

Report Violation

Bottom

achj48168
Posted: Thursday January 26, 2012 1:22 PM

I have been trying to make a gluten free cake from scratch. Do you have a good recipe that you could share? Mine always turn out flat as a pancake!

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

auzzi
Posted: Sunday January 29, 2012 8:02 PM

Try this one:

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/1312/vanilla-pound-cake-gluten-free-recipe

Instead of purchasing individual GF flours plus xanthan gum to make a GF blend, purchase any commercial blend that includes xanthan gum.

Re-emphasizing the point: be very aware of cross-contamination issues when you are baking. Levels of sensitivies is a point for gluten intolerances and sensitivies> When you are allergies or coeliac, a minimal amount will cause a reaction. Glutened is glutened ..

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: