skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Gluten free box mix?
Created On Tuesday July 12, 2011 1:01 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday July 12, 2011 1:01 PM

Can anyone recommend a gluten free box mix that you actually like the taste of?

I am baking a one time GF cake and don't want to invest in xanthum gum, tapioca and rice four, etc.

Thanks for sharing any store bought mixes you may have tried!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday July 12, 2011 3:36 PM
View users profile

I made the Betty Crocker yellow GF cake mix as cupcakes. The flavor was good (I didn't doctor it with anything - just followed the recipe as called for). The way I'd describe the texture is like a fine textured corn muffin. Again, the flavor was pleasant, but the texture was not like a regular cake. But from what I understand from people who have to eat GF, they are used to it.

Perhaps you can add GF vanilla to it to get a more vibrant taste.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 7:47 AM

Thanks, Spooky! I've never looked on the shelf for GF baking options, but I'll search for the Betty Crocker one. Adding more flavor might compensate for that cornbread texture perhaps. Wonder if I can use my applesauce instead of oil trick? My friend doesn't have Celiac's, but an allergy to gluten that manifests in sinus problems as well as GI issues.

GF vanilla extract?! I had to look that up as I couldn't imagine distilled alcohol and vanilla beans being off limits. It appears as though people were concerned that the Madagascar Bourbon location was actually the alcohol Bourbon and therefore not gluten free.

From Gluten-Free girl and the Chef's blog: "Since the distillation process in hard liquor and vinegars seems to kill the gluten proteins in the final product, it is safe to assume that the same is true for vanilla extract. Therefore, it should be that all vanilla extracts are gluten-free."

No worries about vanilla!

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 7:50 AM
View users profile

The BC GF cake mix doesn't use oil, it uses a stick of butter, so I'm not sure if I'd substitute it or not. Those mixes are aboout $4.50 a piece and only make about 12-16 cupcakes, so I wasn't very willing to experiment as that is an expensive experiment if it goes wrong.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 9:22 AM

Wow, I didn't even think about what the price of the mix would be! Yikes. Thanks again for the info.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 2:24 PM
View users profile

What I did for a recent bday party for a girl who must have GF is I made 1 dozen GF cupcakes for her and her mom who is also eating GF, then 4 dozen non-GF cupcakes, so that the rest of the guests could enjoy them without breaking the mom's bank. Something to think about if you are doing this for a party. Just be sure you box the GF cupcakes separately from the non-GF cupcakes and clearly mark the box which is which.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 2:30 PM

This cake will be for a very small baby shower luncheon. I know I will have leftovers, but my plan was to make a 6 inch tier from the GF cake mix and the 8 inch tier WASC or something. That way every one's tastebuds are covered. So looks like I will investing in one $$ mix and one regular mix.

I think there will be 10 ladies there and only the mom- to- be eats GF for health reasons. Her hubby (who joins in the GF because she does) will be there as well so the two of them can take home the top tier leftovers and I guess we'll figure out what to do with the rest!

Maybe the Mexican staff where the luncheon is held would like leftover cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 2:31 PM

Hmmm, would one mix make 2 layers of 6 inch rounds? Or just one layer with an extra cupcake or something?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 3:03 PM
View users profile

It might make 2 thin 6" layers. I think it said it would make 1 8" or 9" round. I don't honestly remember as I was looking at it for cupcakes rather than a cake. Here is a copy of what the front of the box looks like along with the nutrition info. The picture shows a single layer cake. Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 3:04 PM
View users profile

Sorry, that link takes you to the list of products. You'll need to scroll up to the Gluten Free offerings then click on the Yellow Mix.

Report Violation

Bottom

rhondascakes
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 6:47 PM

I'm sure any nationality of staff would appreciate the leftovers, just thought that was kind of an odd thing to mention.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 9:46 PM
View users profile

I just went to Albertson's this evening (local grocery store) and their BC GF cake mixes are $4.99 (they went up since last time I was there). It said it was enough for one 8" or 9" round single layer cake. So if you are wanting to make a 6", then I'd recommend going with the 3" deep pan, then torting it.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2011 9:46 PM

My friend, Carleen, at work has to eat gluten free. She is constantly looking for decent recipes. In talking with her she says she can buy a few items at our local health food store, but in a day everything is moldy. She said a loaf of bread goes moldy in a day. I was just shocked. She said she bakes a loaf, slices it, places it in freezer bags and freezes everything to prolong its life. She says it is really hitting her pocketbook hard.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Thursday July 14, 2011 6:54 AM

rhondascakes, I bet ANY nationality would love leftover cake, LOL! What I meant was that the luncheon is being held at a Mexican restaurant. That's how I should have phrased it. Layer cake isn't something you usually find on a Mexican menu around here. My point was I didn't want to take home the leftovers and I wasn't planning on bringing supplies to individually box up the leftovers for the guests....and the guest of honor won't eat the regular cake.

Bunny, that stinks for your friend to have to freeze bread products constantly. Wonder which ingredient is so prone to mold? Yuck. Or yuck to our gluten containing bread that can last longer for some reason, ha! I agree that eating GF would be a pain in the pocketbook.

Spooky, I did find the BC GF mix on the shelf at Walmart last night and it was close to $5.00. Kinda spendy for a little cake, but it will have to do!

Report Violation

Bottom

dreemer107
Posted: Friday July 15, 2011 9:53 AM

I have celiac disease & am on a strict GF diet.
Betty Crocker is the way to go for something tasty. It's by far the best. Pricey? YES! I'm in NY & have seen it as "cheap" as $3.29 in some Targets.

Beware - it doesnt rise quite like a regular box cake.

(BTW: Someone mentioned GF vanilla - McCormick is safe to use)

Any specific questions..feel free to ask!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Friday July 15, 2011 11:28 AM

Thank you, dreemer107! The pic on the box suggests the same thing you said, that it doesn't rise much or make much. Do you think one 6 x 2 inch round is all I will get? Just wondering if I could fill that pan up 3/4 full if it doesn't really rise much. Or is it more like a 6 inch and some cupcakes?

Thanks for the info!

P.S. I have Neilsen Massey vanilla. I am assuming from the blog post I read that it's safe as well. Luckily, my friend doesn't have Celiac's, but she does have an allergy that causes congestion/sinus issues if she were to eat, for example, a couple slices of pizza.

Report Violation

Bottom

dreemer107
Posted: Friday July 15, 2011 2:45 PM

Yea, it should be fine for 1- 6x2 cake & some left over for cupcakes.

(In my opinion, the chocolate is tastier than the yellow)

If you go to glutenfreely.com (betty crocker's GF site), they have different recipes to doctor up the cake, brownies & cookies

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Friday July 15, 2011 2:55 PM

Awesome! Have you doctored up the yellow mix? How did you and did you like it better? I bought the mix, but don't have to bake it until next month.

My Walmart didn't have the chocolate BC option. Boo! I did see another GF brand that came in a bag instead of a box. Maybe a silver/grey bag? Not sure. Have you tried those? They were a touch more $$$ than BC.

Report Violation

Bottom

auzzi
Posted: Sunday July 17, 2011 1:19 AM

$4.99 per box for $1.52 ingredients with xanthan gum being the most expensive item ..

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Monday July 18, 2011 10:17 AM

I noticed Walmart had a small bag of Tapioca flour and a small bag of Xanthum gum, each around $4.99 if I remember right.

I don't need to invest in the "from scratch: supplies though. I didn't realize they would be so pricey!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: