skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Looking for old-fashioned wedding cake frosting recipe
Created On Saturday May 14, 2011 10:01 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

toothsometreats
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 10:01 PM

Hi everyone! Although I am new to this forum, I am not new to baking as I have been doing so since I was a teen. I have taken ALL the Wilton courses and am starting up my own business.

To get to the point, I don't now how old everyone else is in here but I am 57 years old. Growing up in SW PA, we had a lot of weddings in the family and the one thing I always enjoyed was the cake, especially the frosting. I haven't had anything like it since. It wasn't the 7-minute cooked variety - that reminds me of marshmallow creme. The only way I can describe it was that it had a very slight crust to it and was slightly fluffy. It wasn't too sweet - it was just right. I also remember all the dragees on it (which seem to have fallen out of favor nowadays).

Does anyone else remember a frosting like this? Can anyone help me find a recipe like it?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Report Violation

Bottom

toothsometreats
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 10:03 PM

I should also mentioned that the consistency did not indicate any Crisco being used. As for the taste, there was no butter or almond flavoring used.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday May 14, 2011 10:11 PM

I've been decorating about 35 years and the frosting recipe we used back then included no butter....just Crisco. It did form a slight crust and we used only vanilla flavoring. It was light and actually tasted good...even though it doesn't sound good. Remember .....that was before Crisco changed their formula and left out the transfats. That made a big difference.
This doesn't sound like the one you're describing but it was the one all the decorators in our area used.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Sunday May 15, 2011 5:30 PM
View users profile

Have you tried bunnywoman's buttercream recipe as yet.
It is the closest one to the old fashion one I remember from my wedding.
It is a great recipe..used it yesterday for my nephew's communion cake and they were fighting over the buttercream..everyone wanted the end slice with the most buttercream..
In fact my perpetually on a diet brother-in-law only wanted buttercream...LOL
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

Baker_Rose
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 9:28 AM

Could it be like the Gob Filling? The one that is milk and flour cooked on the stove, cooled and then shortening or butter is added and then it is beaten until very light and fluffy?

Tami

Report Violation

Bottom

NonnaCindy
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 12:51 PM

I have a Wilton Way of Decorating Book (from 1974) and it has several different recipes for frosting in it. One has butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and milk or cream in it. There is also Boiled Icing, Royal Icing (Meringue or Egg White,) Whipped Cream, and Stabilized Whipped Cream. If any of these seem to be one that sounds like what you are looking for, please let me know and I will get it to you. Cindy

Report Violation

Bottom

toothsometreats
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 1:18 PM

Tami,

I think that's it!! I couldn't figure out exactly how to describe it but it was definitely "fluffy" but not in a marshmallow-y way. Now I know what to search for.

Report Violation

Bottom

toothsometreats
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 1:21 PM

Cindy,

I would appreciate the Whipped Cream and Stabilized Whipped Cream recipes whenever you can post them. They might prove suitable as well.

Peggy

Report Violation

Bottom

toothsometreats
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 1:22 PM

Thank you to everyone for your help!!

Report Violation

Bottom

NonnaCindy
Posted: Monday May 16, 2011 3:23 PM

Peggy
This is from a 1974 Wilton Way of Decorating Book.
(After looking at book noticed that it is one recipe.)

Whipped Cream Icing
A light and luscious touch for any cake, especially the delicate variety such as angel food or sponge. If you "stabilize whipped cream as described here, the cake you decorate with it will keep nicely for a day or two in the refrigerator. Or you can pipe out rosettes and flowers and freeze them on a cookie sheet, then keep them frozen in a plastic bag for weeks, to be used for decorating cakes, puddings and other desserts. (Don't thaw before arranging on desserts. They will soften in just a few minutes.) If decorating, use immediately after whipping. If filling or topping cakes, you can let it stand or several hours first in the refrigerator. Recipe to follow:

Whipped Cream Icing
1 teaspoon plain gelatin mixed into 4 teaspoons cold water
1 cup heavy whipping cream (at least 24 hours old and very cold)
1/4 cup confectioners sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla

Add gelatin to cold water in a small metal or pyrex cup. Set in a small pan of boiling water and heat until gelatin dissolves and looks clear (do not stir.) You must now cool gelatin to room temperature and since this happens very quickly, begin at once to whip cream. (make certain bowl and beaters are also very cold, especially in summer.) When cream is whipped to a medium consistency, pour dissolved gelatin into center all at once and continue beating. Add confectioners sugar and vanilla also at this time. Beat only until cream stands in stiff peaks and clings to side of bowl. (This will happen just a few seconds after you add all ingredients.) For best decorating results, do no over whip. Makes 2 cups.

To vary whipped cream:
Use above recipe and vary flavor by folding in 2 tablespoons sifted, unsweetened cocoa, or 2 tablespoons shredded toasted almonds or 1/4 cup sieved ripe fruit-peaches, apricots or fresh berries.

Hope this helps
Cindy

Report Violation

Bottom

Miss LJH
Posted: Thursday May 19, 2011 6:03 PM

Toothsometreats, I was looking for a recipe that sounds much like what you describe, tasting "marshmallowy" this is what I found:

1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup hot water
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
6 large marshmallows, cut into pieces
1/2 tsp cream of tartar

Combine sugar and water, heat over medium heat, stirring constantly, until clear. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites on low until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt; beat on medium until soft peaks form. Increase to high speed and add hot syrup in a heavy stream. Add the marshmallows a few pieces at a time. Beat until stiff peaks form.

Now, I haven't used it yet, so I can't vouch for it. I found it with a coconut cake recipe, so I'm going to use it for a coconut cake that I need to make next week. I'll just add the shredded coconut on top of the icing. Good luck to you, hope this helps.

Report Violation

Bottom

Bobbi
Posted: Thursday May 19, 2011 7:32 PM

Hi Toothsometreats!
My Grandmother lived north of Pittsburgh. Here is her recipe. (I believe this was used during the sugar rationing era.)

1 cup milk
5 TBSP flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup crisco
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla

combine milk and flour and cook to paste. cool (I put in corningware and pat down with plastic wrap to prevent a crust from forming. I toss in the freezer at this point to chill quickly, but not freeze.)

Cream butter, crisco, and sugar. add cooled paste and continue beating until light and fluffy. Add vanilla. (I switch to my KA wisk after the paste was added to whip up the icing.)

Granny frosted home made yellow cupcakes with this frosting and sprinkled chopped black walnuts on top. (which I had gathered and shelled, wearing rubber gloves.) yum!

I use hi-ratio shortening
In the past I have used "I can't believe its not butter" in place of the butter.

Bobbi

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Thursday May 19, 2011 7:50 PM

baura also posted a recipe similar to this. I tried it and it was delicious! baura???

Report Violation

Bottom

toothsometreats
Posted: Friday May 20, 2011 1:31 AM

Thank you NonnaCindy, Miss LJH and Bobbi. I'm going to try each of these to see which one is closest to what I remember.

Bobbi, I live in the South Hills area of Pittsburgh Back when I was a kid, I spent weeks at my grandmother's house in the Tarentum/New Kensington/Natrona area. She was very well known there for her catering. She didn't make cakes but did make numerous Slavic pastries (cream horns, kolaches, etc.). Some bakery always made the wedding cake. Had I the foresight ... I'm trying to keep some retro recipes as there is always someone looking for that.

Again, thank you to everyone for your responses and help. I really appreciate it!!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Friday May 20, 2011 7:28 AM

Sorry...it was Yofjab...not baura..and it's made from a "roux"
here's the post about it:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=144569&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Report Violation

Bottom

lilsista
Posted: Saturday May 28, 2011 10:18 AM

Toothsometreats, I had also been looking for "that" icing from childhood days. I was such a tomboy and it was the only thing worth putting on a dress on a Saturday to go to a wedding! I recently got a library book (Spectacular Cakes by Mich Turner). It spoke of Royal Icing (pp 28-29) as a 1950's cake icing and gave a recipe for piping and for covering cakes. It does need to be placed on a marzipan covered cake, and is layered on, therefore more time-consuming. I will give it a try when I have the time. Please keep us posted on any trials you do and results! Thanks for posting! (hope this helps) lilsis

Report Violation

Bottom

toothsometreats
Posted: Saturday May 28, 2011 10:23 AM

Thanks for sharing about the library book lilsista! Don't know why I didn't think of checking out that part of the library myself as I spend a lot of time there.

Indeed I will keep everyone posted.

Report Violation

Bottom

lupini
Posted: Sunday May 06, 2012 10:28 PM

Oh my goodness! You sound like me!!! Did you ever find this recipe? I have searched for years for it. I too am 57 and from SW Pennsylvania. You describe Paul's Bakery icing to a T!! I use the Wilton buttercream recipe but it is not that icing from the wedding cakes with the silver dragees on it! I HOPE we find it!

Report Violation

Bottom

lupini
Posted: Sunday May 06, 2012 10:29 PM

what is bunnywoman's recipe?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday May 06, 2012 11:04 PM
View users profile

Welcome to the forum, lupini. Bunny has two great buttercream recipes posted here: Bunnywoman's Mock Shack's buttercream and Bunnywoman's buttercream icing

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: