skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Buttercream: How to make it less sweet?
Created On Monday May 09, 2011 9:38 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

bLeuZ
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 9:38 PM

Hi, I'm new to cake decorating. I've been trying a few icing/frosting recipes found in this website but all turned out to be very sweet. How can I adjust the recipe to be less sweet? I tried using whipping cream to decorate my cakes but because of the the humidity level is high in my country, it melt easily. I hope I can get some good advice from here. Thank you.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday May 10, 2011 2:23 AM

Add a teaspoon of dissolved popcorn salt. Dissolve it in hot liquids and then add it to your mixing bowl.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday May 10, 2011 4:19 PM

In addition to the popcorn salt, add extra almond flavoring and/or pineapple juice in place half the water.

Report Violation

Bottom

bLeuZ
Posted: Tuesday May 10, 2011 8:56 PM

@bunnywoman: Is fine salt considered as popcorn salt?

@sweetgrandma: Are there any juices other than pineapple juice?

More questions:
1. Is it possible to reduce the amount of sugar and replace it with meringue powder or some cornstarch?
2. Is there any other way to reduce the sugar content or do I need to use other types of frosting/icing?

Oh I forget to mention that some family members are diabetic, hence I'm trying not to use so much sugar.

Report Violation

Bottom

TaysTreats
Posted: Wednesday May 11, 2011 12:10 AM

I know mmumsie has a diabetic buttercream recipe on her website....www.slice-heaven.com it's under the free section.

I'm also wondering about cornstarch. My class instructor said that we could add cornstarch if we needed to to thicken up the BC without using powdered sugar. does it change the taste of the BC??

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday May 11, 2011 8:48 PM

Hi Bleuz...Welcome!
I've only used pineapple juice...the tartness of it "cuts" the sweet taste and most people don't realize it's pineapple but they really like it. The hints we've given you don't cut out any of the sugar..they just mask the sweet taste. For diabetics you'd have to use something else.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday May 12, 2011 9:44 AM

I would find a different recipe than a buttercream for a diabetic person. There are different "levels" (for lack of a better word) of diabetics. Some can have a little bit of sugar and others can't have any. I'd error on the side of caution here. Food allergies and other medical reasons are things that need to be taken very seriously when making cakes.

Report Violation

Bottom

bLeuZ
Posted: Friday May 13, 2011 1:48 AM

@TaysTreats: Thanks for the link. I went there to check out the recipe but it uses "sugar free vanilla instant pudding mix". I went to supermarkets/bakery store but can't find such item =(

@sweetgrandma: Oh I see, now I understand. Do you have any suggestion of what kind of frosting I should look for?

@bunnywoman: They can take sugar but not as much as the normal buttercream (1/2 c butter, 1/2 c shortening + 4 c sugar) as that is waaay too much sugar. So now im trying to find a ways to cut down the sugar content but still able to be pipe well. I guess if there's no other way, I'll just have them scrape the frosting aside and just eat the cake but that would be a watse!

Report Violation

Bottom

TaysTreats
Posted: Friday May 13, 2011 8:44 AM

maybe this recipe will help

http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/diabetic-recipes/Butter-Cream-Frosting/r5728.html

I don't know how it will taste. That stinks you can't find the sugar free instant pudding mix =(

Report Violation

Bottom

bLeuZ
Posted: Tuesday May 17, 2011 8:46 PM

thanks! i will try that soon and will update...hopefully it turns out good =)

Report Violation

Bottom

LmLM4L
Posted: Sunday May 29, 2011 8:36 AM

I'd love to know how it tastes. My husband's friend is diabetic but has an addiction to cake and has trouble maintaining his blood sugar level. So a diabetic friendly version would be great for him.

Report Violation

Bottom

zinger60
Posted: Sunday May 29, 2011 2:02 PM

It used to be said that diabetics had to be careful of how much sugar they eat. Now it is known that it's not only sugar or sweets but carbs. So even if a recipe is for a sugar free or low sugar cake or frosting, it doesn't mean that a diabetic can eat more of it. It is known now that carbs are turned into sugar in the body when eaten so foods such as rice, potatoes, bread, etc. can have the same effect on blood sugar that sweets have. My mom was a diabetic for years when I was growing up in the 70's and all everyone talked about then was for diabetics to stay away from sweets. There has been alot of research done recently that changed the way diabetics have to eat.

Report Violation

Bottom

bLeuZ
Posted: Wednesday June 15, 2011 7:50 AM

@LmLM4L I still havent got time to try it yet..but here, i found another recipe which taste ok and still able to pipe well. It's very simple; cream 150g butter & 50g icing sugar..though it couldnt last long in the hot humid country I'm in..oh well..

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: