skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Frostings that DO NOT need to be refrigerated.
Created On Monday May 09, 2011 2:28 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

vaniroel
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 2:28 PM

Hello Everyone,

I am making a three tier graduation cake on June 4th. The picture the graduate found online is attached.

The graduate I am making it for wants a Chocolate cake layer with pecans, choc. chips and caramel chips in the batter filled with chocolate frosting, strawberry layer filled with strawberry frosting and a lemon cake filled with lemon or vanilla frosting.

I know which cake recipes I am using, but do not know what frosting/Filling recipes I am using. I usually use Hersehy's Perfectly Chocolate frosting for filling, but am not sure if this needs to be refrigerated. Does anyone know?

Also, I want to try something different than buttercream made with shortening, butter and powdered sugar.

Do you all have any other ideas for the fillings I can use that DO NOT need refrigeration? Thank you.

Grad Cake18.jpg Grad Cake18.jpg  (29 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

vaniroel
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 2:29 PM

Thanks in advance.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 3:31 PM
View users profile

vaniroel, I love that cake, should be fun to do..
As far as icings, I use bunnywoman's vanilla and chocolate recipes. They do not require refrigeration, bu they do use a combination of shortening, butter and powdered..just like ALL icings have...some may be just butter, others all shortening..the only one I can think of is perhaps boiled frostin..but it to has butter.
Have you tried doing a search in the recipe section? There a many there...but am sure they have the ingredients you don't want.
ginnyl~~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

vaniroel
Posted: Monday May 09, 2011 3:37 PM

Hey Ginnyl,

Thanks so much for the response.

Well, I guess I really do not want the shortening. I made some cupcake bouquets this weekend with Wilton's Buttercream icing and it was greasy as it always is.

I was thinking maybe swiss Meringue buttercream or italian Meringue buttercream. Does that have to be refrigerated? Can that be used with Fondant?

I wish I could use cream cheese icing, but i know I cannot unless I have it refrigerated and this cake will be out at room temp.

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Tuesday May 10, 2011 7:25 PM
View users profile

Am not familiar with swiss meringue and italian meringue but think they need refrigeraton that's oe reason I use bunnywoman's recipes
ginnyl~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

xina19
Posted: Tuesday May 10, 2011 8:23 PM

I absolutely love swiss meringue buttercream - the silkiest frosting ever, but I am a butter lover. That said, because you've cooked the egg whites and with the sugar in it, you are ok leaving it out for 1-2 days (this is from reading article after article online where there seems to be some contention about this and personal experience). You are going to be covering it with fondant, so you won't necessarily need to worry about it droopping (I wouldn't use SMBC with the grass tip here in Georgia right now - I am sure the grass would look trampled. ;-) ).

Oh, and I love BW's BC too (it is my kids' favorite). Its great under fondant, and not as sweet as the wilton or other buttercreams. I haven't made the hershey's frosting so I'll leave it to someone else to answer whether it needs refrigeration. Have you looked into sleeve fillings for the strawberry and lemon? Those definitely don't need refrigeration.

Good luck and do post pics of your cake when you are done!

Report Violation

Bottom

vaniroel
Posted: Wednesday May 11, 2011 9:35 AM

@xina19, thank you for your response. I will be filling the cake and finishing it on Friday night and the party is Saturday so I think it will be fine then if it can stay out a day or two.

I have never seen the sleve fillings. I have decided to go ahead and use SMBC in lemon, strawberry and chocolate for the fillings and then probably use regular buttercream under the fondant.

I will post pictures of my actual cake when I am done with it on June 4th. Thanks again for all of your help.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: