skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Does anyone add a box of instant pudding to your cake mix?
Created On Tuesday January 18, 2011 11:43 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

emmer_d
Posted: Tuesday January 18, 2011 11:43 AM
View users profile

If so, what flavor of instant pudding would you add to a red velvet cake mix?
Thanks so much!
Emily

Report Violation

Bottom

cq75
Posted: Tuesday January 18, 2011 1:18 PM

I've added both a chocolate fudge, and a vanilla (different cakes!) and both cakes came out just fine. I think it really depends on the cake "flavor" you are going for. Some people swear that red velvet cake is supposed to be a tangy buttermilk cake with chocolatey flavors. Others don't- I think it's a regional thing. And seeing as how when I was growing up in California... people would say "Red Velvet WHAT?"... I've only recently began experiementing myself.

I'd say if you really aren't sure... just add vanilla. Vanilla is not an overwhelming flavor profile to begin with, so you can add moisture to the cake and not have to fixate so much on the flavor. Next time, add the chocolate and see what you like better.

BTW- my husband prefered the chocolate... I preferred the vanilla. But still...no losers 'cause the cakes were both yummy.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Tuesday January 18, 2011 2:02 PM
View users profile

Ah...good idea about experimenting! Thanks for the advice. Emily

Report Violation

Bottom

chibikim
Posted: Tuesday January 18, 2011 3:42 PM

I put pudding in my cakes all the time. I tried it with a regular box cake mix and not only is it moist, but the taste is great! Vanilla, Chocolate or if im making a banana cake I use banana. If you get a chance I suggest you pick up The Cake Mix Doctor by Ann Byrne. I got it used for $4 on amazon. She uses pudding in all her box cake recipes and the cakes are so good you swear they came from a bakery.

Report Violation

Bottom

emmer_d
Posted: Tuesday January 18, 2011 4:05 PM
View users profile

CHIBI - so do you know off hand what she suggests for a red velvet cake mix? I'm planning on making the cakes this weekend and not sure I"ll have time to order the book. No problem if not, I'm also going to try to do a trial cake sometime this week playing around with both van. and choc. puddings. THanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday January 18, 2011 5:06 PM

If you want a more chocolate taste to the RV cake I'd add chocolate but if you want to retain the true "barely chocolate" taste of RV, I'd use vanilla. Red velvet isn't technically a chocolate cake....even though it has a little chocolate in it.
I never put a whole box of instant pudding in my cakes but some on here do.

Report Violation

Bottom

chibikim
Posted: Tuesday January 18, 2011 6:30 PM

Emmer_d

Yeah, she does! I have some recipes from her site right here

Simple Red Velvet Cake
http://www.food.com/recipe/simple-red-velvet-cake-152630

(I substituted a box of german chocolate and used red velvet cake and the results were just as good!)

Red Velvet Cupcakes with Peppermint cream Cheese Frosting
http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-white-chocolate-peppermint-cream-cheese-frosting/

The Best Red Velvet Cake
http://www.cakemixdoctor.com/recipe/the-best-red-velvet-cake/

I hope that helps

Report Violation

Bottom

psalm33_3
Posted: Friday January 21, 2011 9:37 PM

I frequently add pudding mixes to boxed cake mixes (as well as an extra egg) to get a more moist and sturdy cake. And if the flavor match isn't obvious (like chocolate and chocolate), I just use vanilla pudding.

Report Violation

Bottom

romansfamily
Posted: Saturday January 22, 2011 7:58 PM

Yes always add a box to every cake and instead of water milk. I had a customer wait 5 days after my fondant covered cake was baked to cut it and it was still just a moist as fresh baked.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: