skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Jello in Buttercream Icing
Created On Tuesday January 04, 2011 7:33 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Foxeylady212
Posted: Tuesday January 04, 2011 7:33 AM

Just been thinking here...which maybe I should stop doing...LOL... but need to know if anyone has experimented with putting jello brand jello in buttercream icing to change color and flavor? If I was to do this, would it still have the same frosting consistency? If not, what changes would I need to make? Or, could I just put some buttercream in a bowl, stir in a small box of jello and it is ready to use?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday January 04, 2011 9:47 AM

Only way to find out if you like it is to try a little bit yourself! But I have to wonder what happens to the jello powder when your liquids mix with it? Does it get gelatinous, but then breaks up enough to mix in with the buttercream? Not sure what kind of texture you are going to get with that!

If you want to experiment with powder type flavor, what about trying Kool aid in your buttercream instead? That is Marie J's trick!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Tuesday January 04, 2011 11:18 AM

Have you considered using kool aid? Gelatin can be added easily to cream cheese, so I would think it would be okay in ccbc. I've also have added dry pudding mix with Wilton's whipped vanilla icing mix. Works great!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday January 04, 2011 3:39 PM

I have tried to add Jello instant pudding to my buttercream before.

Results: I guess I'll pass. It wanted to leave more of a gritty mouth feel to it. It did add some slight flavor to it, but I think if I want more of a flavor boost I am just gonna add in more extract instead. All in all it wasn't horrible, but I wasn't thrilled with the texture.

As far as jello gelatin goes????? I have never personally tired that one yet. It would give it color and flavor that is for sure, but as far as the texture would go???? Not sure if it would want to "set-up" over time. KWIM? I guess the only way to know for 100% sure is to just give it a whirl!!! It isn't gonna cost an arm and a leg to make up a small test batch just to see how it performs.

BTW? What flavor are you wanting to try?

Report Violation

Bottom

Foxeylady212
Posted: Wednesday January 05, 2011 6:20 AM

Thanks all for the suggestions.

BW...I was going for strawberry-banana. This was going to be a top tier for my grandaughters bday cake. My daughter-in-love (sorry...don't think of her as a law...LOL...she is awesome) and I talked about it and I think we are going with making a banana cake and I will add strawberry kool aid to the buttercream icing...think this way I will get the same flavor combination. What do you think BW?

Thanks again for all your help.

Report Violation

Bottom

Foxeylady212
Posted: Wednesday January 05, 2011 6:24 AM

Oh, forgot to ask. This is probably a question that should go on the fondant forum but will ask here and check that forum in a minute.

I have to make stars out of fondant to go on the sides of the round cake which will be covered in MMF. I was wondering if I should make the starts at the time I need to put them on the cake so that they curve to the sides of the cake or can I make them ahead of time but how do I dry them so that they will curved to the sides of the round cake. Seems that if I dry them flat, then when I go to put them on the cake they will break as they will not be curved.

Any suggestions? Thanks again for all yalls help!!! You are the greatest!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Wednesday January 05, 2011 7:52 AM

I've never used Jello, but I do use Kool Aid and it worked great !! It doesn't change the consistency of my icing, and I can do everything with it that I can without it !!

Report Violation

Bottom

eden1103
Posted: Thursday January 06, 2011 1:54 PM
View users profile

I decided to give it a try since I had to make a cake that weekend after you posted the question. It seemed to work for me. I was making a strawberry and white layered cake so I thought a strawberry buttercream would taste OK. I dissolved a package of strawberry jello in some boiling water and let it cool. I probably used about 1/2 cup to a small package of Jello. I used it in place of milk or water in the buttercream and it came out pretty good. I got compliments on it at least.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Friday January 07, 2011 11:24 AM

eden1103 - thanks for the info !! Good to know it will work well also !!

Report Violation

Bottom

BlackWidowNor
Posted: Saturday January 08, 2011 5:14 PM
View users profile

What about adding a packet of unsweetened Kool-aid for the strawberry banana?

Report Violation

Bottom

YellowBrickRd
Posted: Saturday April 09, 2011 12:55 AM

Okay tonight I tried the Jello gelatin trick to my BC-and it tasted good-one peach and the other orange....but the texture was VERY gritty. Any ideas on this ladies?

Report Violation

Bottom

cherit
Posted: Monday April 30, 2012 12:58 AM

I dissolve 2 tbsp raspberry jello into 2 tbsp boiling water then add 2 tbsp Crisco and 2 tbsp icing sugar (remember 2-2-2-2). Let it sit overnight on the counter then mix it up and add it to the Wilton Classic Buttercream recipe.

1 cup Crisco
7 teaspoons water
1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon Meringue Powder

There is no gritty texture and everyone loved it.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedecofun
Posted: Monday April 30, 2012 1:54 PM

You guys should get a prize for discovering this "powdered flavor" idea. Duncan Hines has a fairly new item on the market with this concept--purchase the tubs of icing, then add the flavor packet. I purchased a couple flavor packets to add to my buttercream but haven't tried it yet. I chose bubble gum and cotton candy--guess whose taste buds I'm trying to "tickle"?

Y'all are genius, ladies.
ml

Report Violation

Bottom

cakelady56
Posted: Monday April 30, 2012 2:53 PM

I have purchased some too but did not know if it can be added to our homemade buttercream??

Report Violation

Bottom

Mickeebabe
Posted: Wednesday May 09, 2012 9:28 PM

Foxeylady212 - I don't have an answer to your second question but I'm hoping someone does because I'd like to know too.

Foxeylady212 question was : "I have to make stars out of fondant to go on the sides of the round cake which will be covered in MMF. I was wondering if I should make the starts at the time I need to put them on the cake so that they curve to the sides of the cake or can I make them ahead of time but how do I dry them so that they will curved to the sides of the round cake. Seems that if I dry them flat, then when I go to put them on the cake they will break as they will not be curved. "

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Thursday May 10, 2012 3:14 PM
View users profile

Foxeylady212 - regarding the fondant stars, are they going to be that large that they will have a large curve then I would dry them on the side of a cake pan so you get that curved shape you are looking for..
Hope that helps..
Not sure about your Jello question..have never used it to flavor, color butter cream..
I my self am looking to flavor my butter cream to taste let cream cheese,not using real cream cheese as I need a shelf stable icing.. Thought I might use Jello cream cheese pudding powder or lorann cheesecake flavoring..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedecofun
Posted: Wednesday June 20, 2012 11:57 PM

ginnyl My granddaughter is allergic to dairy and I have used lorann to flavor buttercream so she can eat it, too.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedecofun
Posted: Thursday June 21, 2012 12:01 AM

Mickeebabe
What if you make your stars a day or so ahead of time and place them in a zip loc bag so they stay nice and pliable?
I went to a demo and the lady had all of her fondant and gumpaste sheets already rolled out and had them stored in zip locs.
Good luck

Report Violation

Bottom

ekmorris
Posted: Friday November 15, 2013 11:03 AM

I just tried it, and I love the results. I am teaching the color wheel to my interior design students, and I wanted to inexpensively tint ready-made frosting blue, so I thought I would try blueberry gelatin. I used 1 (3-oz) pkg gelatin to 1 tub white frosting. I didn't get the primary color I wanted, but the the taste is really fun. I would suspect the frosting would hold up better than it normally does because of the bulk of the gelatin mix. I'm waiting to see whether the color deepens as the granules dissolve more in the frosting. I was afraid it would be too sweet, but it is not at all. It has a nice tartness with the sweet frosting. I won't use it for this exercise, but I will definitely use it on something this weekend, and will try other flavors as well.

Report Violation

Bottom

Lyn221
Posted: Sunday November 17, 2013 5:32 AM

I don't like the taste of and don't use canned frostings. I have purchased Duncan Hines flavor packets that they recommend using with their icing base. I use it in my icing and it really boosts the flavor. I recently made apple carmel cupcakes and used one carmel packet in my buttercream. The icing was delicious ! I can also recommend the chocolate almond !

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: