skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Bunny's Rolled Buttercream (RBC)
Created On Monday November 01, 2010 11:34 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 11:34 AM

Hello my fellow cakers!!!

The wait is finally over!!! The RBC Challenge is completed! A HUGE, HUGE thanks to all of the participants who responded. I had 28 participants with 15 responses back to me. Thank you for taking the time to not only attempt this recipe for me, but to also provide me with your feedback. What I might not have thought about, you all certainly have therefore making this a very informative thread. I bow to thee.

I included just some of the responses below by the participants, not naming anyone by name. For the most part this was a HUGE SUCCESS!!!! I am just tickled pink! You all have shown that even a brand newbie to seasoned veterans can get this to work! WOO HOO!!!!!! Gonna have to rub this in to my "Master Sugar Artist's friend" who could not get it to work. TEE! HEE!

Enjoy all and thanks again,
Bunny

Bunny’s Rolled Buttercream

¾ cup Crisco (or 3 grams trans fat shortening)…….160g
¾ cup light corn syrup
1 tsp butter flavoring
1 tsp vanilla flavoring
1 tsp almond flavoring
½ tsp popcorn salt
1 small box instant white chocolate pudding
2 pounds pure cane powdered sugar (I like C&H brand)
1 Tbsp water (optional)

Mix the corn syrup and shortening of choice in a KA stand mixer with the standard paddle attachment. DO NOT USE THE BEATER BLADE!!!! Add in the flavorings. Sprinkle the salt evenly throughout the bowl while the mixer is running. DO NOT dump the salt in just one spot! Mix on speed 4 on a KA stand mixer for about 5-7 minutes.

STOP the mixer and then:
Add the instant white chocolate pudding and the full 2 pounds of powdered sugar all at once. DO NOT attempt to shake the powdered sugar in the bowl with the mixer running like you would making buttercream. This does not work.

Using a piece of saran wrap cover the mixing bowl. Using both hands, hold onto the bowl and the saran at the same time. Turn the mixer on speed 4 and blend well. When the mixer starts to bog down let it go around 3 turns. Then SHUT IT OFF!!!!!! (Your mixer will make a funny sound, turn hard and move slightly on the countertop. This is when it is “bogging down or laboring hard.”)

Empty contents onto a powdered sugar vinyl mat or a powdered sugar countertop. Knead well by hand.

Roll between two pieces of vinyl for best results.

Store any leftovers in a Ziploc baggy with the air squished out in the frig.

Yield: This will cover a 10” round cake with a little left over for some decorations rolled at ¼” thickness.

BUNNY’s NOTES:
• This will keep well in the frig for about 6 months.

• It did not leave a huge oily residue in the bottom of a Ziploc bag or when placed on the cake.

• Can use any flavoring combination of your choice. This is very versatile. Lorann Oils has a wide variety of flavors that you can mix and match to your liking. If you decide to use the Lorann flavorings then use DROPS only. I have found that 6 drops of any combination of flavors for this recipe is plenty of flavorings. A popular combination is 3 drops of lemon oil and 3 drops of orange oil.

• I rolled this to about 1/8” thickness for cut-out sugar cookies. I rolled it to about ¼” thickness for a cake covering.

• I have used the 0 trans fat Crisco and 3 grams sat fat Wal-Mart shortening. Both have worked very well. May use hi-ratio shortening as well.

• The white chocolate pudding adds stability and a touch of flavor. It does not change the color. This is the only pudding (that is available to me) that will keep the white color of the RBC.

• Can use chocolate instant pudding to achieve a chocolate rolled buttercream. Then add Lorann chocolate flavoring as well for n intense chocolate flavor OR Sub out 1 cup of the powdered sugar and replace it with 1 cup of cocoa powder. May need to add in 1-2 teaspoons of water to the mixture because cocoa powder tends to be drier in texture.

• Can use a lemon or vanilla instant pudding, but then note that the color will be a yellowish color.

• This repairs easily. Pinch together slightly with your fingers and then rub it and the tear goes away.

• Any powdered sugar residue absorbs right in with a little rubbing of your finger across it.

• If you try to roll without being in between two sheets of vinyl then roll only in one direction only. Powdered sugar your rolling pin well. It has a tendency to want to roll back up on your rolling pin. The vinyl works the best for this. Parchment paper can be used as well. I prefer the vinyl mat.

• Smoothing it out on a cake worked better to use an offset spatula. Fondant smoothers work too, but you have to get the hang of it. It can smash it if not careful. I used a Viva towel on top of it when I used my fondant smoothers initially.

• When cutting out shapes for cookies just use your same cookie cutter as you did for the cookies. Run your offset spatula underneath the shape to loosen it from your rolling surface. Use the offset spatula to transport it to your cookie. Can use a Wilton chocolate bottle filled with corn syrup to attach the shapes to the cookie OR place them on the cookie right as they are coming our of the oven. The heat will melt it slightly and make it adhere to the cookie.

• RBC is much softer in texture and not really good for modeling like fondant or gum paste. I have never tried tylose powder or gum tex in this as of yet. ………I will in the future.

• I have used the Wal-Mart powdered sugar and it did come out just fine too. I just prefer the pure cane version of powdered sugar instead of the beet variety. I stick with pure cane C&H for my frostings so I just keep with it here too.

• This does work better using a powerful mixer like a standing Kitchen Aid model. Hand mixers will burn up and one report back of a Sunbeam stand mixer couldn’t hold the power for this.

• I haven’t attempted the dough hook for this. It only takes me 1 minute to knead it together by hand so I have just not tried the dough hook. It is fast and easy to knead by hand.

• This is moist dough. It looks DRY & CRUMBLY in the mixing bowl after it is all mixed with the KA stand mixer. This is normal. This is what it is suppose to look like. It looks like it will never come together, but it does. I promise! Dump it out onto your powdered sugar vinyl mat/countertop and start kneading. You should be able to grab a handful of the dough and squeeze it and it should hold together.

• Adding an additional 1 TBSP of water is optional. DO NOT add more Crisco or corn syrup. This will make it appear greasy.

• Have used 80 grams shortening and 80 grams of butter with great results. It tastes awesome!!!!!! I do weigh this on my kitchen scale too for accurate results.

CHALLENGE LADIES REPLIES & FINDINGS:

• “I used a 50/50 blend of shortening and butter and it rolled out like a dream! I like it better on cookies rather than cakes. I thought it ripped easier than fondant”
• “I made cut-out with this for cupcakes. It was FAB-O!! The shapes transferred easily without tearing right off of my parchment paper. I used 2 pieces of parchment paper to roll mine and it worked great. DO NOT USE A BEATER BLADE!!!!!! It broke mine.”
• “No oily residue in the bottom of a bag after sitting in the frig for over a week. No oily residue on my cake either. Made a cake and shipped it to Boston with the RBC on it. The cake made it in one piece and my niece loved it.”
• “Definitely needs a stronger mixer for this. I only have a hand held and it couldn’t do the job.”
• "It was drier in texture on the cake and had a tearing problem, but my cookies came out GREAT!”
• “ I enjoyed working with this. It repaired easily. I had a problem getting all of the powdered sugar added in, though. My friend wants the recipe!!!!!”
• “I LOVE IT! I put it on an anniversary cake for my boss. She says the pictures I sent her helped her tremendously.”
• “It had a drier texture to it than I was expecting. (I told her to add a little bit of water to help this.) I tried it on some pumpkin cut out cookies and it worked fabulously! It was dry at first, but then I placed it in a Ziploc and popped it into the frig due to time constraints. Brought it back out of the frig the next day and let it come to room temp and the dryness was GONE!”
• “Bunny I had major problems. The stars must not be aligned. I need to call you.” (I talked her through it on the phone.)

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 1:22 PM

Thank you for your all inclusive first round of Q and A! LOL! You know they'll be more questions and I have the first one (which is pretty ignorant of me, but here goes....)

Could you tell me when you would want to use RBC on a cake versus using fondant? It appears from the commenters that it works fabulous on cookies and was a little more difficult on a cake.

Is the texture or taste vastly different from the MMF? The whole "rolled" thing is throwing me off. I can't figure out what this is just yet!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 2:37 PM

TEE HEE! Leave it to you, Chasey!!! LOL!

RBC and fondant are almost interchangeable. I say ALMOST because there are a few more things you can do with fondant that you can't with the RBC, like making flower petals, using tappits, making bows, etc. etc. etc.

RBC is a buttercream only in a "rolled form." It remains soft all the way through and never gets a hard crusty exterior to it. Tastes fabulous! MM Fondant is a cake icing that gets hard on the exterior but remains soft and pliable underneath.

When would you use it? It is a toss up for either for me. I like them both. It just depends on the project that I am making.

Understand?

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 2:39 PM

******NOTE*******

For the CHALLENGE PARTICIPANTS......

The above recipe is slightly changed from the one I sent you all. I changed it due to the comments that came back in. The above works much better. Please print this out for your records.

Report Violation

Bottom

sallij
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 4:35 PM

Which one is the beater blade versus the paddle attachment for the KA? I'd hate to use the wrong one, and I'm sure what I call them is completely incorrect

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 5:22 PM
View users profile

sallij, the beater blade did not come with your mixer. You would have purchased it separately. If you are asking, you probably don't have one.

The beater blade has a scrapers on the edges of the beater that scrape your icing, batter, etc. as it mixes. It eliminates the need to stop and scrape with a spatula. Do not use it until the warranty on your KA is expired or your warranty could be invalidated. Just a warning!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 5:26 PM

Kitchen Aid Paddle attachment

Click on the link above. This is what it looks like. Mine actually is white in color, but it looks just like this one. USE THIS ONE!!!!

The Beater Blades have a rubberized/spatula type attachment to the outer perimeter of the flat beater. This is what a Beater Blade looks like below:

Beater Blade attachment

DO NOT USE THE BEATER BLADE!

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 6:02 PM

Thanks for posting it Bunny!! I might just try it tomorrow, if I do, I will let you know how it turned out!!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 6:32 PM

Love to hear your results ladies!

Good luck!

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

sallij
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 6:55 PM

Excellent! I was on the right page, then

I'm definitely putting this towards the top of my "recipes to try" list. I was planning to make some fall cookies, so I may give it a whirl.

Report Violation

Bottom

m_mckinney1
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 8:15 PM

Thought I'd add the "in progress" photos you sent out......

Crisco & Corn syrup 1.jpg Crisco & Corn syrup 1.jpg  (33 KB)
crisco & corn syrup 2.jpg crisco & corn syrup 2.jpg  (32 KB)
dough ball.jpg dough ball.jpg  (30 KB)
On a cake.jpg On a cake.jpg  (29 KB)
Pwd. sugar & pudding 1.jpg Pwd. sugar & pudding 1.jpg  (42 KB)
Pwd. sugar & pudding 2.jpg Pwd. sugar & pudding 2.jpg  (43 KB)
rolled out.jpg rolled out.jpg  (29 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday November 01, 2010 10:12 PM

Oh BLESS YOUR HEART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HUGE HUGS to you Missy! Thank you soooooooooo much!!!!!!!

I have no idea how to get them reduced in size to fit on the board. You saved me a ton of e-mails!!!

Bunny

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday November 02, 2010 7:14 AM

Thanks for the reply Bunny, I think I just figured out my first use of your RBC. I'm going small and trying it on two separate one layer 6 inch rounds I am doing for 7 year old twins. I bet they would like the taste/texture of this better than MMF.

Question #2 from me: Piping with buttercream on top of RBC doesn't cause bleeding does it? Just wondering what piping black on top of light pink RBC would do. Seems like the fat content is so much higher in the RBC than the MMF so I'm worried it will leach from the black piping I want to do on top of it.

Question #3. Darn, thought I only had 2, LOL! I plan to make a bandana covering, complete with folds and a knot. Do you think the RBC would behave with that application? Or do you think folding it a little would make it tear? The "knot" and tails seem like they would work if it was just a ball of RBC and cut outs.

Report Violation

Bottom

m_mckinney1
Posted: Tuesday November 02, 2010 8:45 AM

I wish I could take the credit bunnywoman, but I only used the pics from your original email & renamed them. Guess they were automatically resized when you sent out the email, but you're very welcome anyway!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday November 02, 2010 8:56 AM

TEE HEE Chasey is at it again..........LOL!

Question #2 from me: Piping with buttercream on top of RBC doesn't cause bleeding does it? Just wondering what piping black on top of light pink RBC would do. Seems like the fat content is so much higher in the RBC than the MMF so I'm worried it will leach from the black piping I want to do on top of it.

I personally have not had any bleeding issues thus far. I have used MMF accents on the top of this or I have used my regular buttercream recipe and made roses and other decos. Knock on wood.....no problems yet

Question #3. Darn, thought I only had 2, LOL! I plan to make a bandana covering, complete with folds and a knot. Do you think the RBC would behave with that application? Or do you think folding it a little would make it tear? The "knot" and tails seem like they would work if it was just a ball of RBC and cut outs.

I knew another question would pop into your head!!! LOL! Just teasing ya!
For what you want to do for your project at hand the RBC should work. Reason I say that is because it is going to lay flat. It is not going to stand up or have to hold a shape in an upright position. The RBC is much, much softer in texture and will not hold a shape like a bow loop for example. (Or at least I have never been successful at it anyway.)

Good Luck,
BW

Report Violation

Bottom

ponyjockey
Posted: Tuesday November 02, 2010 12:53 PM

I was able to try the RBC and it is really good!! I do have 2 questions...
1) How did everybody put the saran wrap on their mixing bowl? Mine fell in and powdered sugar flew everywhere. I resorted to using a towel but I would like to know what every one did.
2) When I kneaded it, it became extremely oily. Is this supposed to happen or did I do something wrong?
Thanks in advance for the help and a BIG thanks to Bunny for this recipe!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

german_girl_with_curls
Posted: Tuesday November 02, 2010 2:20 PM

I have been away from the forum for quite a while...but I was going to try and find your MMF recipe, Bunnywoman. I am doing some cakes for my 'niece's' 1st birthday. I am doing a Princess Tiana theme but always wanted to use my number ONE Wilton pan and cover it in fondant. I'm glad I came across this thread...I'm going to try your rolled butter cream. I've had it on cakes before, and it tastes much better than fondant. So thank you for posting.

I do have a question that I do not think was addressed above...is there a way to get an edible image to adhere to this? I would like to put a small picture of my niece on top of the cake. Thanks!!

--Trish--

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday November 03, 2010 7:31 AM

Ponyjockey,

1) How did everybody put the saran wrap on their mixing bowl? Mine fell in and powdered sugar flew everywhere. I resorted to using a towel but I would like to know what every one did.

You place it around your bowl covering the top of the bowl. You have to hold onto the bowl and the saran at the same time. You can not let go or like what happened to you ......it falls inside of the bowl. I did state in the recipe to hold onto both. Have another look at the recipe. I use the saran so that I can see what is happening inside of the bowl and yet not wear the powder sugar.

2) When I kneaded it, it became extremely oily. Is this supposed to happen or did I do something wrong?
Thanks in advance for the help and a BIG thanks to Bunny for this recipe!!!!

It does not get "extremely oily." That is why I like this recipe. The other recipe that is posted on this board does get and stays extremely oily. If you have ever tried that one you will know what I mean. That is the main reason why I was experimenting for a loooooooong time trying to get the right amounts and ingredients for my RBC recipe. I had to get away from that greasy appearance and texture.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday November 03, 2010 7:34 AM

Trish,

It should stick to the cake just fine if you place it on fairly soon after applying the RBC covering to your cake. Remember, RBC does not get a hard exterior like MMF (or any fondant for that matter). The RBC remains soft on the outer exterior and stays soft throughout.

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday November 03, 2010 9:02 AM

Oh great, now I have another ignorant question, LOL! It just dawned on me that we haven't talked about the prep of the cake so I was assuming you put a thinner coat of buttercream on the cake, just like you would for MMF. However, since this IS buttercream, is that overkill? Or does the RBC need the buttercream to stick to? That was my plan, to crumbcoat and then lay on MORE buttercream in the rolled form!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: