skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Bunny's Pumpkin Pie Cake
Created On Sunday October 24, 2010 7:18 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday October 26, 2011 8:16 AM
View users profile

When I made this, in my first batch, I forgot the nutmeg, as I was going to use freshly grated, and just plain out forgot. Then, when I whipped up the second batch, I used the nutmeg, but I think I went a bit crazy with it, as I just grated it right into the bowl and didn't actually measure it. BIG MISTAKE! I couldn't really tell Sunday when I ate it that it had a very strong nutmeg flavor, but when I ate a piece last night, OH. MY. GOD! I could feel the "sting" of the nutmeg for several minutes after eating it.

Moral of the story, always measure your spices out, and if using fresh nutmeg, use less than actually called for as fresh nutmeg is a lot stronger than nutmeg from a can.

Oh, and I got lots of compliments yesterday on the PP cake I decorated using Cami's un-named dot and drag technique (oh, maybe I just named it?). See attached photo. I iced this cake in Mmumsie's cinnamon buttercream.

pumpkin pie cake with cinnamon buttercream1.jpg pumpkin pie cake with cinnamon buttercream1.jpg  (137 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday October 26, 2011 2:10 PM

Looks scrumptious!!!

I agree on the fresh nutmeg. That is very powerful and must be measured. Cloves is another spice that is powerful. When I make this for my parents my Mom always comments on for me to hold back on the spices as it has an adverse effect on her.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday October 26, 2011 2:30 PM

Spooky - YOUR CAKE LOOKS FANTASTIC!!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

runnrchic
Posted: Saturday November 12, 2011 2:26 PM

This cake is so delicious! Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm making it for the 2nd time. First time was with canned sweet potato and this time with canned pumpkin. Thanks again!

Report Violation

Bottom

sunshinehobbyist
Posted: Saturday November 12, 2011 4:55 PM
View users profile

Oh my! Maybe this is what I should use instead of making a pumpkin pie! Definitely going to try this! Cinnamon Buttercream...mmmm

Report Violation

Bottom

kboogie007
Posted: Tuesday November 15, 2011 9:21 AM

I am fairly new to baking and cake design. I am planning on making my first two tier cake for Thanksgiving and I already plan on one tier being a chocolate cake and I want the other to be something seasonal. With this being a "wet" cake do you think it would be ok to be filled and used as either the bottom or top tier?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday November 15, 2011 12:27 PM
View users profile

As long as you are using dowels or bubble tea straws for supports of your upper tier and have your upper tier be sitting on its own cake board, you should have no problems with this cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday November 15, 2011 12:29 PM
View users profile

Has any body used this cake to make a pumpkin roll? I'm thinking of doing an experiment this weekend with it. If not, I've got another recipe I can use, just thought I'd throw the question out there.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday November 15, 2011 1:30 PM

Spooky,

I have not tried this for a pumpkin roll but it might work. If not I have a recipe for a pumpkin roll.

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

Bella Daisy Cakes
Posted: Wednesday November 16, 2011 9:50 AM
View users profile

I have a question...maybe someone out in cakeland has an answer.

Ok so you use the dowels or straws & the board between the layers. How do you keep the frosting from sticking to the board & leaving your bottom layer naked on that spot?

Report Violation

Bottom

PattyDif
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 8:56 PM
View users profile

This cake sounds fabulous! I'm planning on making a pumpkin shaped cake and would like to use this recipe. I'm going to make my "pumpkin" using the sports ball pans.

Bunnywoman, since this cake is a very moist cake, do you think it would work ok using the sports ball pan set?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 10:10 PM

I don't have the sports ball pan set, but that is a 3D pan. You will have to bake longer.

I just made this cake on Saturday. I was hungry for pumpkin so I decided this is what I wanted. I actually baked it in a bundt pan. It came out fabulous! I just used a vanilla-powdered sugar glaze for the top. It is almost gone!!!

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 10:11 PM

Oh hey Spooky? Did you ever try this for a pumpkin roll?????

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 10:23 PM
View users profile

No I didn't, but maybe I will this fall. I actually thought about making this cake today but didn't have any of the milk on hand.

Report Violation

Bottom

PattyDif
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 5:02 AM
View users profile

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to give it a whirl. I'll just account for the depth of the 3D pan and bake it a little longer.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 6:27 PM

Keep me posted!
BW

Report Violation

Bottom

Bella Daisy Cakes
Posted: Sunday October 07, 2012 9:19 PM
View users profile

I made your cake for our Canadian Thanksgiving, this weekend & everyone really loved it.

I doubled the recipe & put it in a 12" round pan. I torted the cake & used cream cheese filling & BC frosting.
I'll use this recipe again.

Thank you

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 4:23 AM

Awesome!

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

Bella Daisy Cakes
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 7:59 PM
View users profile

I have a question...

Was that 4:23 am post a "just getting up post" or a "just going to bed post?"

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 8:46 PM

That is just right before I had to leave the house for work in this morning.

Normally, I have to be there by 2:40am. I leave the house at 2:30am and get there on time. My machine was down today so we got farmed out to other lines today. You are then at the mercy of the clock. So today I actually gor to sleep a little bit longer.

Not tomorrow though. I am back in at 2:40am!

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: