skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Bunny's Pumpkin Pie Cake
bunnywoman 11/14/2010 10:17 AM
OOpsies.......let me try that again.....

Here is what NOT TO USE!
Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix
Barbara1212 11/14/2010 1:46 PM
Thank you Bunnywoman. I made the cake last evening; I used 8in rounds just to experiment with. Of course the cake didn't raise to the top but it made a decent layer cake just to try. I didn't have all the ingredients for cream cheese icing so I made cinnamon bc and put on it.
It is very good, hubby loves it. I think it will be better with the cream cheese icing. Thank you very much for sharing the recipe!
bunnywoman 11/14/2010 6:53 PM
My son made this again today and we ended up making 24 cupcakes and a "short" 6" round out of it.

The cupcakes were filled a little more than 2/3rds full. They were completely baked but once they cooled off they wanted to sink in the middle. This recipe is EXTREMELY MOIST!!! We put cinnamon buttercream on these today and my daughter says they ROCK!

For Thanksgiving I am going to make a 9x13 cake again but I am going to put a cake extender in it this time.
sassygrass~sweets 11/15/2010 9:45 AM
Hey Bunny do you think that it could be done as cupcakes????
bunnywoman 11/15/2010 9:59 AM
Actually, my son and I just made them into cupcakes yesterday. They are extremely moist!!!!! I filled them 2/3rds full and baked them for 20 minutes on 350*. They came out of the oven and I checked them for doneness. Fully baked, but after they set on my wire rack for 10 minutes they wanted to sink a little in the middle. Now mind you they were fully baked. I think this is just the nature of the cake due to the full can of pumpkin in them.

If you use only 1/2 can (of a 15 oz can that is) then they will still be moist but shouldn't sink. I was just experimenting to see just how it would go yesterday with the full can of pumpkin.

I swirled in the "sunken part" with some cinnamon buttercream and you would never know the difference that they sunk at all. The next time I make them into cupcakes I am cutting back to 1 cup of pumpkin (half a can).

Bunny
ppc03 11/15/2010 1:31 PM
Bunnywoman-

I made the cake yesterday in 2-9" round cake pans and used cream cheese icing with some cinnamon mixed in and it was sooo good. We had a church meeting yesterday and everyone raved at how moist it was. I waited until last night and had a slice with a cup of coffee before bedtime and it is the best pumpkin cake I have had!!
Well...dead even with my pumpkin roll!!

Thanks for the recipe.
bunnywoman 11/15/2010 4:47 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the update.
YOFJAB 11/16/2010 10:53 PM
Thank you Bunny for the information. I want to make it this coming weekend for work. Not sure what size pan I might use BUT for work I like using a one layer pan ( easy to carry to work since I take the train there. You said you used a 9 x 13 pan for it. Since it is only one box mix -- is the cake a very low cake? I was thinking of maybe using a 9 x 11 pan instead....
YOFJAB 11/16/2010 11:03 PM
Sorry Bunny --I was only reading page one --- I now see that you stated you used or will use a cake extender for a 9 x 13.. Is that easier or better for this type of cake instead of just mixing 1 1/2 the amount of batter? or if I doubled it I could do the 9 x 13 and have a few cupcakes for me! and if you feel the cake extender is better for THIS type of cake should I just use the one extender recipe I saw on here. I did a search here and saw a few.
Thank you as always.....
bunnywoman 11/17/2010 2:19 AM
I think it would be better for this particular cake to use the cake extender recipe and not double this. This cake is very, very moist as pumpkin is the moisture additive here.

I would NOT use the cake extender that has the sour cream in it for this. Stick with the one that has the baking powder in it to help it rise better.

1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup water
YOFJAB 11/17/2010 6:05 PM
As always --- your the best and have much patience ----- thanks
bunnywoman 11/17/2010 6:28 PM
Thanks
YOFJAB 11/20/2010 1:22 PM
Bunny --- when you make this cake WITHOUT the extender...... what size/kind pan do you usually use. You talked about trying two 9 inch pans once ( i assume without extender) but never said how you usually do it and what seems to be a good size or type of pan because of the richness of the cake . Do you always make layers or do you use a tube pan or bundt pan. I was thinking for home maybe using only using ONE 9 inch pan?
( would I need an extender for a 9 x 11 ( not a 9 x 13)
bunnywoman 11/20/2010 3:05 PM
I used a 9x13" pan. The first time I made this I did NOT use and extender. For Thanksgiving on Thursday I am going to add an extender recipe to it to give it more height.
YOFJAB 11/20/2010 6:51 PM
That is what I might try for work ( 9 x 13 ) -- does the extender dilute the pumpkin taste much or do you add more spices?
For home I was thinking of doing your regular recipe without an extender. Do you think two - 8 inch sqaure pans would work -- i am asking because of the way you say it could "sink" in the middle. I was thinking 8 inch may work better than 9 inches becasue the square pans take more batter in each
Thanks
bunnywoman 11/20/2010 8:11 PM
The 9x13 cake didn't sink in the middle. The cupcakes did. I don't think I will make this recipe into cupcakes again. I will have to experiment more on getting the cupcakes to perform better. I mean, they were very tasty, but I was not a fan of the slight sinking in the middle. They were completely baked through. Normally, if a cake sinks it is because it is under baked. This was definitely not the case here. It is just a heavy, dense, extremely moist cake.
bunnywoman 11/20/2010 8:13 PM
Two 8" pans should work just fine. I would try the extender in it though. Use the extender recipe I posted above. It has extra baking powder in it to help it rise better.
YOFJAB 11/20/2010 11:28 PM
Oh what a night --- before I saw your last POST i decided to stop be such a worrier, so I went ahead and did you recipe ( without the extender) because I decided to use two 8 in ROUND pans not square. I thought I checked all my ingredients earlier but when I went to use the ground ginger, I couldn't find any --so I used alittle more pumpkin pie spice. I mixed everything together , pored it into the pans and right into the oven. While cleaning up I noticed the bottle of Vanilla! I never added it. It had only been a minute after putting the pans in the oven, so I pulled them out added a little vanilla right into the batter in the pans and stirred it around.
They are still cooling in the kitchen but they look wonderful. They are a great height and smell good. I just hope they taste as good. Wish me luck! I willl icing them Sunday night for Monday. I will be using Bunnywomans whipped cream cheese Icing. I am thinking of adding some orange zest and/or some orange juice OR extract to it.........what do you think?
bunnywoman 11/21/2010 9:00 AM
Sounds wonderful!

I'll check back later on tonight for your results.

BW
YOFJAB 11/21/2010 10:25 PM
Well, FINALLY! I made Bunnywoman's whipped cream cheese icing and finished the cake tonight. Even though it is for tomorrow -- I had to try it myself tonight. It is very good ! As, Bunny said, it is a very dense cake but the flavor
is great. I made two 8 in layers and the height was good. I want to try this in a 9 x 11 or 9 x 13 pan next time.
I think a single layer with icing only on the top would be good for a dense and rich cake like this. I, who have a weakness for icing, have no problem with the layer cake.....yum
Thanks again Bunny for your help