skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: refrigerate German chocolate cake?
Created On Friday October 22, 2010 7:49 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

sweetgrandma
Posted: Friday October 22, 2010 7:49 PM

Just wondering..........do you all refrigerate or leave your German chocolate cake out on the counter once it's got the frosting on it?

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday October 23, 2010 6:32 AM

thanks Ilovecakes.....
I was wondering what other people do because all the years I've made these cakes I've never refrigerated them and even after a couple of days (which is the longest they've lasted) they're still good. But I was making one last night for a customer and thought about the ingredients in the frosting.............
I decided to put it in the fridge overnight just to be on the safe side. I wish I understood about how sugar works as a preservative...I know it does....I just don't know to what degree.............but you're right. It's always better to err on the side of safety.

Report Violation

Bottom

LisaH
Posted: Sunday October 24, 2010 12:01 PM

You can leave it out with NO problem. I leave sticks of butter out on my counter for days and it's fine. How many days you ask? I've left it out for a week with no trouble.
Disclaimer: I am not encouraging anyone to do what I do. I don't post much but if you have ever read my postings over the years you will see that I am a Human Science Experiment. I have 25 year old paste colors and I will leave it at that...

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday October 25, 2010 7:57 AM

thanks!!
After I refrigerated the customer's cake.............I kept out a couple of tablespoons of frosting.....left in a plastic butter dish so I could test it. It was fine the next day! (actually it tasted delicious!!!)
The following day it also tasted great...didn't make me sick either!
I'm not saying to do it........I just know it worked for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

Frosted Flake
Posted: Monday October 25, 2010 12:54 PM

Butter is made from cream.
That being said, it - and products made from it - should probably be refrigerated for taste and safety.

Do I do that?
Noooo. Because I like my butter spreadable when the toast is done, and when the pancakes are ready, or when I'm making sandwiches.

Would I leave a pound of butter out on the counter?
Nope! I store my butter in the freezer, and take out what I need a few hours ( to overnight ) in advance of prep.

For ME . . .
This counter-practice works best in cool-weather months.
If I try to do this in the summer-months, the butter usually separates due to the ambient temperatures, and I'm stuck with a oily mess to clean-up or wash off of the butter dish.

I have never noticed a difference in taste leaving butter on the counter. And, I've never poisoned me or my family do this, either. I've only needed to clean-up a mess when the temperatures are too high.

With regard to German Chocolate Cake and Pecan Caramel Frosting . . .
The thing never lasts more than a day in this household. I only refrigerate it to hide it from kitchen predators.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: