skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: White Almond Sour Cream Cake (WASC)
Created On Friday October 08, 2010 9:26 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday October 08, 2010 9:26 AM

White Almond Sour Cream Cake (WASC)
by Rebecca Sutterby

2 boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp salt

2 2/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil (= 4 Tblsp)
2 tsp real vanilla
2 tsp almond extract
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
8 large egg whites

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on a low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees until cake tests done.

This recipe makes:
One 14” round and one 6” round or
One 16” round or
One 12” round and one 10” round or
One 12 X 18” sheet cake or
One 12” round and one 8” round and one 6” round or
Two 9" squares

Half the recipe makes:
Two 8” rounds or
Two 6” rounds and 6 cupcakes

Double the recipe makes:
one 18" round + one 10" round
all 4 sizes in the Wilton petal pan set

One fourth the recipe makes:
two 5" rounds

For chocolate cake: use chocolate mixes, omit almond extract and substitute 6 whole eggs for the whites.

For liqueur flavors: substitute alcohol (such as champagne or Kahlua) for about 1 cup of the water in the recipe

For berry flavors: use frozen berries, thaw reserving the juice. Substitute the berry juice for part of the water in the recipe, and stir the berries in at the end.

(Now I do things a little differently than Rebecca does for the chocolate version. Here is my version below.)

Bunny's Chocolate Sour Cream Cake (BCSC)

2 boxes chocolate fudge (or Devil's Food) cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 ½ tsp salt

2 2/3 cups water
1 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp real vanilla
2 cups (16 oz) sour cream
3/4 cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey's cocoa.)
6 large eggs

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together with a wire whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and beat on a low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees until cake tests done.

****NOTE****

I am reposting this and getting rid of the old post because I made a mistake in my chocolate version so as not to confuse anyone. Just when I thought I had it all typed up correctly.....My bad......I am sorry. Hope this clears things up better.

Report Violation

Bottom

svenskaluv
Posted: Friday October 08, 2010 8:09 PM

You sweet thing, Bunnywoman. You must repost this at least 10 times a year.

Report Violation

Bottom

YOFJAB
Posted: Friday October 08, 2010 8:20 PM

Question on Pan sizes ??? Would I be able to use a 9 x 13 inch pan? Would that be just the full recipe? What about two 9 inch "round" pans?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday October 08, 2010 8:24 PM

The half recipe would make the 9x13.

The full recipe is ALLOT of batter. See what Rebecca recommends for coverage for those.

Report Violation

Bottom

YOFJAB
Posted: Friday October 08, 2010 10:12 PM

Thanks---- hope she reads this since your the nice person who posted it.... Once again I appreciate it

Report Violation

Bottom

YOFJAB
Posted: Saturday October 09, 2010 10:55 AM

Bunnywoman, I e-mailed Ms Sutterby and am shocked she responded so quickly --- she said:

"a recipe made with one cake mix isn't quite enough to fill a 9x13 correctly. Two mixes will just barely do a 12x18 -- could really use a bit more.

One cake mix will do two 7" rounds. Two mixes will do two 11" rounds -- so the 9" are somewhere in between.

So for example if I wanted to do:

two 9x13 and two 9" rounds

I would do 4 mixes. The excess that didn't get used in the 9" rounds would fill up the 9x13's nicely -- probably with a bit to spare. "

seriously surprised she had time to respond ---Bunnywoman, so do you think I would have to make a 9 x 13 AND two 9 in rounds at the same time with 4 box mixes OR do you think I could do 1 and 1/2 box mix and just do a 9 x 13 OR two 9 inch rounds --depending on my mood LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday October 09, 2010 5:17 PM

Rebecca is such a sweetheart. She responds when time permits. She is soooooo busy with her cakes and when she gets a free second her 3 boys keep her hopping with sporting events. I don't know how she does it, but she finds time for everything.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday October 09, 2010 5:23 PM

Oh and yeah she is right.....one mix isn't really enough for the 9x13 but if you make 2 mixes you will have leftover batter.

Your plan of attack to me seems like it will work for your combinations you want to try. I always say if all else fails and I have just a tad bit left over batter I make a couple 3" or 4" pans for consultations. Or I use the little cakes for gifts for a sick friend. Or I take it to my parents just because I love them.

The main thing here is to fill your pans about 2/3rds full. Don't over fill them and don't under fill them.

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

YOFJAB
Posted: Saturday October 09, 2010 5:42 PM

thank you ---mmmmm I might try the cupcakes

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday October 09, 2010 5:55 PM

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 10:43 PM
View users profile

Bunny,
Have you ever used coffee instead of the water in your chocolate WASC version posted above?
Also, I have BC triple fudge cake mixes I want to try. Do you think the pudding in the mix will be okay to make this recipe?
Thanks Bunny.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday October 15, 2010 10:59 PM

Cattitude,

I have not used coffee in this. I love the smell of coffee but to drink the stuff makes me gag. I have to add 20 little bags of sugar to make it taste half way decent to consume. (ok.....well might not be 20 actual little bags, but you get my drift anyway....LOL!)

As far as the Betty Crocker mixes with the pudding already added in them????? I find when I add in sour cream and pudding the cake texture is EXTREMELY MOIST almost to the point of it being wet. I don't care for that kind of a crumb texture. (That works great for cake balls though by the way.)

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Saturday October 16, 2010 11:28 AM

LOL Bunny! My husband is the same way. He says he loves coffee, but literally puts in 20 bags of sugar and about a 1/2 cup of cream.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to you Bunny and Ms. Sutterby!!!!!

I have had come across so many WASC recipes and have hear good/bad things about them. I really have been wanting to give it a try. I love the instructions on how to change this and the batter amounts.

I'm printing this out as I type this.

Report Violation

Bottom

mommymissa
Posted: Tuesday January 18, 2011 10:37 PM

Does this need to be refrigerated? I wanted to use it and cover it in Marshmallow Fondant. Might be a stupid question but i am new at all this! haha

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Wednesday January 19, 2011 8:28 AM
View users profile

I do not refrigerate my WASC cakes. And I have covered it with MMF.
This recipe makes a fantastic cake that tiers well and I have not found any one of my clients do doesn't rave about it taste.
The chocolate is to die for.~~~

Report Violation

Bottom

mommymissa
Posted: Wednesday January 19, 2011 8:55 AM

Thank you so much! I am going to attempt to make this for my sons birthday cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Brooklyn
Posted: Tuesday January 25, 2011 8:39 PM

Hi I am a new member, I have the Wilton Giant Cupcake mold.....I have read about all the issue and all the good stuff......I need to know in filling with regular box cakes you use 2 do I alter anything like extra eggs or milk??? How long to bake and what temp....I seem to think 325 works and how about filling the bottom first and baking for 15 minutes and than doing the top....or is it the other way...HELP I need to get this right before the weekend....Thanks Brooklyn

Report Violation

Bottom

MissTracey
Posted: Sunday February 20, 2011 12:52 AM

Hi Bunnywoman, this may sound a stupid question but I am slightly confused regarding the salt and the water. Should I be reading this as 1/2 a teaspoon of salt or 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Same with the water, should it be 2 and 2/3 cups of water (ie nearly 3 cups). I have a WASC cake baking in the oven and have a feeling I have mis-read the measurements and this will turn out to be a very dry cake! Thanks Tracey

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday February 20, 2011 4:53 PM

1 + 1/2 tsp salt

2 cups + 2/3 cup water

Report Violation

Bottom

MissTracey
Posted: Sunday February 20, 2011 9:30 PM

Thank you Bunnywoman! Tracey

Report Violation