skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Ganache under Fondant?
Created On Saturday June 19, 2010 6:30 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

amynicole
Posted: Saturday June 19, 2010 6:30 PM

I am making my friend's wedding cake and she just showed me a picture. But she said she wanted ganache instead of frosting, but the cake will be covered in fondant. I'm new to fondant but I've always but buttercream under it. Can you cover a cake in ganache and then put fondant on it?

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesrnuts
Posted: Saturday June 19, 2010 7:06 PM

YES! In fact it works wonderfully and I prefer ganache to BC under fondant. It dries harder than BC, so you can really get your fondant smooth. Tastes great too!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday June 19, 2010 7:54 PM

DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!

I love doing this!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

auntiesquizzle
Posted: Sunday June 20, 2010 12:11 AM

Do you mean chocolate ganache (as in chocolate and cream)? If so, why would you put fondant over the top please? To me ganache itself is wonderfully decadent! Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesrnuts
Posted: Sunday June 20, 2010 7:39 AM

Yup, chocolate ganache! I put fondant over it (although I have just used ganache with no fondant a couple times for small cakes) because you can color the fondant to any color you want, or keep it white. You can't color chocolate ganache any color but brown or black. White chocolate can be colored, but some people don't care for white chocolate (I'm one!). More importantly, fondant gives a much smoother finish. Which is why many brides choose it for their wedding cakes. They want that flawless look, even if the fondant is not eaten by some.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday June 20, 2010 11:03 AM
View users profile

Oh, yeah!!! Ganache under fondant is incredible!!
Smooth it out as you would for buttercream and let it set for several hours. Sharon Zambito (on her Topsy Turvy DVD) brushes a simple syrup on the sides before applying the fondant, but not on the top. Then she can easily adjust the fondant if necessary to cover the sides completely. Works like a charm.

Report Violation

Bottom

miss mollie
Posted: Wednesday June 23, 2010 12:31 AM

I'm confused. Do you let the ganache set up to a medium to thick frosting texture and then frost the cake, let it set and smooth with Viva? I have so much to learn. thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: