skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Not so sweet butter cream icing
Created On Thursday May 13, 2010 11:16 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

seranthie
Posted: Thursday May 13, 2010 11:16 PM

Hi, I am looking for a butter cream icing recipe which is not as sweet as the wilton recipe.... any ideas ?

Report Violation

Bottom

chianti
Posted: Friday May 14, 2010 6:56 AM

Yes Bunnywoman's buttercream or chasesy"s
Bunny's uses 1/2 crisco and 1/2 butter and you eat more than what goes on the cake!!!
Chasey's is all butter and again you eat more than what goes on a cake. do a search for both on here in the recipe section
YOU wont be disappointed with either recipe!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

chianti
Posted: Friday May 14, 2010 7:03 AM

BUTTERCREAM ICING

1 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup butter (can use salted or unsalted)- softened
1/3 cup luke warm water
1 tsp popcorn salt
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp butter extract
2 lb. bag of powder sugar

**** I recommend using a stand-up mixer (Kitchen Aid) for this.****

Cream together the butter and Crisco until nice and fluffy. (I use speed 6 for this on my KA.)

Measure out the luke warm water in a standard measuring cup and dissolve the popcorn salt in this water.
I then add the flavorings to the cup. Stir it up well with a spoon.
Turn your mixer speed to the lowest possible setting and add in the powdered sugar slowly. Alternate back and forth
with the water mixture. Keep the mixer on low until all liquid and powdered sugar are combined.
Once combined then turn the mixer up a notch and mix well. Approximately 2-3 minutes.

Heavy cream or milk can be substituted for the water too. This will make for a smoother, creamier frosting. Refrigerate your
cake if you use these.

You can mix and match flavorings in my recipe. I have done all sorts of different combinations. I love Lorann
Flavorings in this too!!!!! They have over 30+ different flavors!!!!!

This will make what I call between thin to medium consistency icing. I can frost my cakes just fine with this
and do simple borders as well.

To make roses: If I have to make a ton of roses (and only roses) I use the same recipe above, BUT I half everything. Meaning, ½ cup of shortening, ½ cup butter
etc. etc. etc. Instead of 1/3 cup water……. I add ¼ cup water. This will give you a stiffer icing, but not so stiff it will make your hand feel like it is gonna fall off!!!!

*****NOTE******
Everyone’s hand grip is different so if you feel this is still too stiff for you add and additional tsp(s) of water and mix again. It just needs to be stiff enough to hold the petal shape, but yet flow decently out of the tip. Play with it. See what works for your liking.

This icing gets rave reviews by my customers, friends, and family.

Enjoy,

Report Violation

Bottom

chianti
Posted: Friday May 14, 2010 7:06 AM

arrgggghhhhh!! Im doing a search for chaseys and now i cant find! someone will be along soon who can help!

Report Violation

Bottom

seranthie
Posted: Friday May 14, 2010 10:20 PM

Hi , Thank you for the reply, I will try this recipe out... by the way this recipe needs 2 lb of powdered sugar , then would it still end up being too sweet?...

Report Violation

Bottom

german_girl_with_curls
Posted: Saturday May 15, 2010 2:30 AM

Bunny's BC all the way! And NO, the 2 lbs. of sugar does not make it too sweet. Half of the recipe is made with butter, so that right there cuts through the sweetness. And did you notice the 1 tsp. of popcorn salt? Hardly any BC recipe I've used in the past calls for this amount of salt (it's popcorn, so it's very fine, not like table or sea salt). I've actually added quite a bit of regular salt to mine in the past, but popcorn salt is amazing in this recipe and really makes it top-notch. My husband, who does not like sweet icings, really likes this one with my version of the WASC cream. Give it a try...I don't think you'll be disappointed!

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Tuesday May 18, 2010 8:57 AM

I use salted butter and not added salt. I don't find this recipe too sweet!

Chasey's BUTTERcream

2 sticks plus 2 tbls of salted butter (Land O'Lakes has the best tasting butter!)
6 cups of powder sugar (at least a 2 lb. bag)
3 tsp vanilla (I use French Vanilla coffee syrup and it gives the icing a hint of caramel vanilla)
5 tsp milk (plus more)

Cream softened butter until fluffy and slowly add in alternating powdered sugar with the vanilla and the milk. Adjust the milk to your desired consistency after mixing most/all of the sugar in.

Beat until very fluffy. (it won't be snow white, but pretty close) You can add Wilton's white-white if you need snow white.

It doesn't have to be stored in the fridge and the finished cake can stay at room temp.

Report Violation

Bottom

madchen779
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 7:57 PM

Chasey-
How much icing does this make? I need enough to frost a 2 layer cake plus enough to make decorations (roses). What consistency does this make? Is there a way to stiffen it up for roses?
I have made Bunnywoman's frosting and it is sooooooo good, but I thought I would try a recipe with all butter -- rather than using Crisco (even though it's probably not any better for us)

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: