skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Melissa's sugar cookies
Created On Wednesday April 28, 2010 6:07 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

nmgirl
Posted: Sunday March 18, 2012 9:11 PM

Just found the answer to my question!! LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

nmgirl
Posted: Sunday March 18, 2012 9:54 PM

Hey Cakedejour--
would the premade decorating gel work on top of bunny's RBC? I found some in a sparkling black, and thought it would be cute to add some paw prints on the cookies since our mascott it a bulldog. I found and printed the recipies and will try them out in the next day or two since I'm off this week. Also, since I can make the cookies ahead of time, I plan to make them and freeze them then we will decorate them next weekend.
Thx--nmgirl

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 10:36 AM
View users profile

The sparkling gels do not dry, they stay soft to the touch. So if you use them, do not stack your cookies or they will smear.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 11:30 AM
View users profile

Ditto. And if you put the cookies in a treat bag, it will stick to the plastic or cellophane.

Report Violation

Bottom

nmgirl
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 8:47 PM

Thx for the heads up ladies. That is good to know. Guess I won't be the sparkling gel since we will be bagging the cookies.

I made MSC recipie today and really liked them! I also tried the MRI recipie, but may need to add more water. The outlines look good, but they just fall off if you touch them. Any suggestions on what I need to do to correct this? I used up the original RBC that I had, but will try the MRBC when I make the baseball cookies.

Going to try to post a pict of them.
NMgirl

cookie.JPG_photo.JPG cookie.JPG_photo.JPG  (132 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday March 19, 2012 10:32 PM
View users profile

They look great!

Report Violation

Bottom

LRae7
Posted: Tuesday March 20, 2012 8:53 AM

They do look great! Beautiful!

I made the RBC for the first time a few weeks ago. Don't think it worked quite right. I got it made and on cookies, but it was not easy.

First, it never got to a mixture like the picture m_mckinney1 posted after your challenge.
-It stayed completely crumbly. I poured it out on my vinyl like that and then had to dig the stuck on portion out too. I guess I should have added the water. ??
-I kneaded it from that part, but it was very hard to do. Especially since i have bad hands and wrists, it just about killed me.
-The color did not get mixed in the mixer either so as I kneaded it mixed in well.
-It would crack everytime I would turn it over to knead it the other way.

-Then it became very greasy. Made it good to not stick to the vinyl while I was rolling it out, but it was greasy everywhere.
-I got it all rolled out and cut into bunny shapes for my cookies. Layered them between wax paper sheets to wait for the cookies. (I knew it needed to be ready for when the cookies came out and I had not even made them yet, so thought this was the right way to do that.)

-I made the cookies and put the RBC cut-outs on the cookies as soon as they came out of the oven, but they were still extremely greasy. (And stuck to the wax paper because of the grease.) And as I went trhough my two batches of cookies the edges of the RBC cut-outs started to get hard.
-They all adhered to the cookies beautifully, but they stayed greasy the whole time. I kinda rubbed the grease in before I decorated them (a couple of hourse later).

I have attached pictures of as many steps as I remembered to take pictures of. It is hard to see grease in photos, but maybe you can.
It is beautiful on the cookies and it tastes great, but it was way too hard to knead and the grease concerned me. I was hoping to be able to use it on a cake, but with those results, I don't want to try it. :(

What did I do wrong? Please help!

I'm sorry this is long. I get long-winded. I just wanted to cover everything so you would know how to help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all.
LRae

Boy Bunny Cookie1.jpg Boy Bunny Cookie1.jpg  (137 KB)
Girl Bunny Cookie1.jpg Girl Bunny Cookie1.jpg  (137 KB)
Greasy Bunny1.jpg Greasy Bunny1.jpg  (104 KB)
Greasy Hands1.jpg Greasy Hands1.jpg  (135 KB)
RBC Dough Ball1.jpg RBC Dough Ball1.jpg  (141 KB)
RBC Dough1.jpg RBC Dough1.jpg  (113 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

nmgirl
Posted: Tuesday March 20, 2012 11:16 AM

LRae sorry I can't help you with your problem--as I am new to all this and I have not made this RBC yet. I may try it in a few days.

I do have a question for anyone still following this thread--Can you make this RBC a few days ahead of time (like 3 or 4) cut out the shapes for your cookies then keep the cutouts in the fridge in a ziploc bag ready to go when I had the time to finish off the decorating? I was thinking of making the cookies ahead of time and keeping them in the freezer then making the RBC and keeping it in the fridge till the weekend when I could put them all together.

Thx nmgirl

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday March 20, 2012 1:41 PM
View users profile

Sounds like a plan, nmgirl!

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcakesbymegan
Posted: Friday March 23, 2012 9:42 AM

about how many cookies does this make?
I cant wait to try them!

Report Violation

Bottom

cupcakesbymegan
Posted: Friday March 23, 2012 9:45 AM

FOund my answer! Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

mystyqe
Posted: Sunday September 30, 2012 2:15 AM

My dough was very sticky, and I couldn't separate the cut cookies from the dough without ruining the edges: Do you freeze the entire thing? the bottom parchment paper with rolled out dough and cut cookies? Will I be able to seprate the cut cookies from the dough after freezing?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday October 01, 2012 12:21 PM
View users profile

Mystyqe, When I roll out the dough onto the parchment paper, I then make the cuts leaving 1" of room between the cookies, to remove the excess dough. I leave the cut cookies on the parchment, slip the parchment onto a cookie sheet, either refrigerate it for 15 minutes before baking, or just pop into the oven. By leaving this much room, I usually do not have any problems with the dough sticking. HTH

Report Violation

Bottom

brandyu
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 12:25 PM

My dough was pretty sticky too, but I think my butter was too soft. Next time I make them I won't get distracted & see if that helps. If not then I'll try your trick Spooky.

Report Violation

Bottom

Kally
Posted: Friday October 05, 2012 8:27 PM

I want to thank all of the regular contributers on this site. Over the last couple of months I have learned so much from recipes to techniques. I used this recipe along with Alice's modified royal icing to make cookies for a wedding tomorrow. They turned out great. This is now my goto sugar cookie recipe.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday July 07, 2013 10:42 PM
View users profile

bump

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday September 25, 2013 11:06 AM

bumping

Report Violation

Bottom

Tscupcakery
Posted: Wednesday September 25, 2013 11:03 PM

Is it unsalted butter the recipe calls for? Also where can i find the recipe?

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday September 25, 2013 11:30 PM

The recipe calls for salted butter. The recipe is on page one of this thread. Kesha314 posted it about half way down the page. I just made the dough for these today, baking tomorrow. These are great because they don't spread at all.

Report Violation

Bottom

Tscupcakery
Posted: Wednesday September 25, 2013 11:32 PM

Perfect thank you

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: