skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Melissa's sugar cookies
Created On Wednesday April 28, 2010 6:07 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

jswilliston
Posted: Monday May 03, 2010 4:24 PM

I am very bad about forgetting but I have found out that I can lay them out in the morning but leave them in the box (I always make a double batch) and they are perfect when I get ready for them after lunch while the baby is taking her afternoon nap.

Report Violation

Bottom

joyb
Posted: Monday May 03, 2010 6:04 PM

I made the Melissa"s cookies and they are really really yummy! Now I want to decorate them, with a thin icing, has anyone tried the poured cookie icing from Wilton's recipes? Would a thinned fondant icing work? Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday May 03, 2010 7:10 PM

Anything works for icing for these.

Report Violation

Bottom

joyb
Posted: Monday May 03, 2010 7:17 PM

I want the icing to kinda harden and look shiny so I looked at the icing recipe with the corn syrup. Is it good?

Report Violation

Bottom

joyb
Posted: Monday May 03, 2010 8:37 PM

I'm making the poured icing from the Wilton's recipes and its not working? :(

Report Violation

Bottom

Kesha314
Posted: Tuesday May 04, 2010 8:00 AM

i would do the fondant cause it's less messy.but if u want it shiny try the cookie icing recipe or royal icing but that's kinda hard

Report Violation

Bottom

DesignGirlinMo
Posted: Friday May 07, 2010 2:38 PM

My Wilton instructor ices her sugar cookies with color flow icing. Haven't tried it myself, but she loves the results.

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Friday May 07, 2010 5:21 PM
View users profile

Okey Dokey.....did a trial run of these today and they turned out so wonderful that I put them in the freezer. I do not actually need them until next week. I did find that were extremely easy to work with, rolling out and kept their shape beautifully!!

Here is my question. I only did a few with MMF, cutting out with the same cookie cutter and placing them on while warm. I was going to try a different icing, but I really like the "clean and neat" appearance of the MMF. (Plus I had to do a taste test....right? ) Anyway...my question is this....Ohhhhhhhhhh Bunnywoman. Since I did not put MMF on all of them while warm (since I wanted to freeze them..when I take them out to thaw..can I still apply the MMF? If so...would I just use a bit of piping gel? BTW.....LOVVVVVVVVVVVE them with the MMF !!! Love this recipe and thanks for sharing. And yes....after this crazy week of baking....the Chocolate Version is next on my list!

Thanks,
Peachy

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday May 08, 2010 9:49 AM

I take one of those chocolate bottles that Wilton sells.......you know those plastic bottles with the little red tip? I fill that with clear corn syrup. I have complete control of the syrup in those bottles. Just squeeze a little bit out and swirl it around and then place your MMF shape on top.

Good Luck,
BW

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Saturday May 08, 2010 7:53 PM
View users profile

Thanks for the confirmation of using the piping gel Bunnywoman....I shall carry on now!!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday May 08, 2010 9:21 PM

I use clear corn syrup, Peachy. Piping gel will work just fine, but the clear corn syrup flows out of the chocolate bottles easier with less mess. The piping gel would have to be painted on.

Report Violation

Bottom

lumifan4ever
Posted: Sunday May 09, 2010 7:52 AM

For those who want to use an icing to decorate instead of a fondant, i used the wilton cookie icing recipe and it worked pretty good for me. First though, you need a nice tall boarder around the area where you want the icing...once you let the boarders dry, you can cut a very small hole in a disposable icing bag and squeeze the icing out where you want it. I will use a royal icing for the boarders (first time i used buttercream) but wiltons cookie icing recipe for filling in. The Wilton Cookie Icing gives you that shiny look but doesn't get "hard" like the royal icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

LesaVaughn
Posted: Sunday May 23, 2010 7:30 PM

so are these cookies made without leavening in Melissa's recipe (no baking powder, no baking soda)?

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

LesaVaughn
Posted: Sunday May 23, 2010 7:32 PM

Do these not use any baking powder or baking soda?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday May 23, 2010 8:41 PM

That is correct.

Report Violation

Bottom

jswilliston
Posted: Sunday May 23, 2010 9:16 PM

LesaVaughn - i had the same thoughts you are but they are wonderful!!!! I add vanilla and almond to mine and they are like very very good

Report Violation

Bottom

LesaVaughn
Posted: Sunday May 23, 2010 9:33 PM

Bunnywoman and Jswilliston....THANK YOU! Can't wait to try these on some antique detailed cutters. I have another question, someone mentioned using MMF while cookies are warm...is that the proper way for using MMF or should you use corn syrup after they cool then the MMF? Does it matter? I would think the MMF would soften too much.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 2:12 AM

It works both ways. I like to put the MMF shapes right on my hot cookies as they come out of the oven and save a step, but using a little corn syrup in a chocolate bottle works just fine too.

Report Violation

Bottom

jswilliston
Posted: Monday May 24, 2010 10:19 AM

I am with bunnywoman. I did fifty cookies last week and have another fifty to go this week. I either do my mmf the night before or while the butter is getting soft. I get one sheet in and work on getting the next one ready. When the first one is done I pull it out and pop my mmf on. I have done designs where I had mmf base and mmf details ... they all held up well just made sure they are THIN. I put my next sheet in and roll out my next cookies. By the time I get them rolled out the first ones are cool enough to move. Since these cookies dont really spread I can put 6 - 12 on a sheet depending on their size. I can have the cookies in bags probably no more than an hour after they first go in the oven. I really like that because I dont have to wait around for royal icing to dry while they sit out. I get great raves on the cookies everytime.

Report Violation

Bottom

ysant683
Posted: Friday June 04, 2010 2:14 PM

I made this cookies and everyone loved the taste but thought the cookies were too crumbly or fell apart easily...Can anyone advise me on what I did wrong?

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 1 2 3 4 5 6 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: