skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How much cake batter for 16x16 sheet pan
Created On Saturday March 06, 2010 12:06 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

pwinners
Posted: Saturday March 06, 2010 12:06 PM

I have the Wiltons 16x16 cake pan but I have no idea how much batter it will take to fill it. I'm new to cake decorating and was given a set of pans as a gift. I don't use boxed cakes but most of the recipes I make produce 12 cups of batter. Does anyone know how many cups it takes to fill a 16x16 pan?

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday March 06, 2010 4:16 PM

A 16 X 16 takes 15 1/2 cups of batter for one 2" layer. Bake at 325 for 50-55 minutes.
For future reference: http://www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-party-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday March 07, 2010 1:41 PM
View users profile

I don't know about how many cups of batter, but if you're using cake mixes, it'll take 4 boxes

Report Violation

Bottom

pwinners
Posted: Sunday March 07, 2010 5:32 PM

Thanks so much The Wilton website is awesome. It gives so much information on just about any size and shape pan they make!

Report Violation

Bottom

heindell
Posted: Saturday March 24, 2012 8:21 AM

Thank you so much for letting me know how many cake mixes it will take! Have a "cake emergency" And you saved my bacon!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Saturday March 24, 2012 9:48 AM
View users profile

Your welcome heindell. Glad you could find this old post.

Report Violation

Bottom

tweetystyle
Posted: Sunday September 15, 2013 3:43 PM

so the 16 x 16 only takes 4 cake mixes?? I need to figure all of this out.. uggh.. starting to stress... I also have the 12x12?? Any help would be great...

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday September 15, 2013 4:20 PM
View users profile

Hi tweetystyle - Here's kind of a rundown on boxes needed for various sized cake pans

2 6" rounds = 1 box
2 8" rounds = 2 boxes (1 box ea. layer)
2 10"rounds = 3 boxes (leftover batter for cupcakes)
2 12"rounds = 4 boxes (2 boxes ea. layer)
2 14"rounds = 6 boxes (3 boxes ea. layer)
2 16"rounds = 8 boxes (4 boxes ea. layer)

The square cakes usually take about the same amount. Sometimes you have to extend the batter a little for the bigger layers by adding a little more flour, sugar, oil and water.

Hope this helps and btw, welcome to the forum.
Dana

Report Violation

Bottom

tweetystyle
Posted: Sunday September 15, 2013 4:27 PM

I am doing squares 16x16 12x12 and 8x8... that is what my daughter wants for the wedding... now to try to find a trick to stack them.. that should be fun.... uggghh

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday September 15, 2013 4:51 PM
View users profile

Have you done a wedding cake before? I wouldn't stack them ahead of time but wait until you take each tier to the venue and do it there. Makes it much easier to deal with. Email me if you have questions, ok?
danafiler@earthlink.net

Report Violation

Bottom

tweetystyle
Posted: Sunday September 15, 2013 5:10 PM

I have one done one stacked... freaked out major... the rest of the cakes I've done have been on tiered stands... lol any advice would be helpful.. thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

tweetystyle
Posted: Sunday September 15, 2013 5:13 PM

she wants them stacked going different directions... so any help would be helpful..

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Sunday September 15, 2013 8:23 PM
View users profile

Make sure a 16" square pan will fit into your oven. Mine is a standard 40" and it barely fits with the door closed. Also, do you have the straight sided pans or the ones that are slightly angled? If angled, then after baking, you'll have to even them off as straight on the sides. I use bubble tea straws for the supports and for that big of a cake, I think those tubular dowels that Wilton sells might be a better idea. Otherwise, you can still use the bubble straws, but also use smaller McDonald size straws inside the bubble straws for the bottom 16" tier. The 12" can have just the bubble straws. They're easy to use.....just stick them in and snip them off. You can get them at Bed,Bath &Beyond or an Asian market. Are you planning on freezing the layers? That's a huge time saver, not to mention it makes handling those large layers alot easier. If you are, you can bake them ahead of time (2wks), double wrap and then the 16", put into white garbage bags. The others you can just double wrap them in plastic wrap.

After baking, I just let the cakes cool for about 15min and while still in the pan, level them, using the edge of the pan as a guide (serrated knife). Place 2 pieces of wax paper over them, place a cardboard on top and flip them over. They get wrapped and put in the freezer while still warm. The offset placement of the tiers isn't hard to do. When if comes time to mark where they'll go, after you have the final coat of frosting on, just use the upside down upper tier pan to make an impression so you'll know where the dowels will go. If you need more info., holler, ok?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: