skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Help! Frosting separates!
Created On Wednesday March 03, 2010 10:50 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cakeycakerson
Posted: Wednesday March 03, 2010 10:50 AM

I've used many different recipes and it seems like no matter what I do my frosting ends up separating after a little while and you can see little white dots all over. This is only visible when I've added color and the flavor is not affected. It happens more drastically with recipes containing shortening. Am I doing something wrong? Am I just not supposed to color the frosting and instead use a spray on color?

Also if anyone has a good standard frosting recipe that is NOT buttercream let me know! I love Kroger's light and fluffy frosting but cannot duplicate it yet and unfortunately I loathe buttercream. Thank you!!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday March 03, 2010 11:38 AM

A few things came to mind when I read your entry. What recipe are you using? What are the ingredients? Are you using pure cane powdered sugar in your recipe? Another thought, are you using table salt? Hot hands can also cause icings to separate over time.

Try Italian Buttercream and Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It's not traditional shortening bc's. I think you'll like them. You can also try the Roux Icing recipe left here as well.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday March 03, 2010 1:15 PM

If and when you make buttercream with shortening use high ratio instead. This will also help your icing to hold together. Good luck

Report Violation

Bottom

cakerygirl
Posted: Wednesday March 03, 2010 1:47 PM

In some recipes I have tried, if the recipes call for 1 cup shortening, try half a cup of butter to half a cup of shortening. High ratio shortening is better to use that Crisco. Try it and maybe you will start to like buttercream. Good Luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakeycakerson
Posted: Thursday March 04, 2010 12:25 PM

I've tried a few recipes but they're all pretty similar, main ingredients being shortening or butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, maybe salt (yes table salt) or milk depending. It's just weird for it to look that way, it appears like the shortening and butter are solidifying and popping up as little dots. Lol, is my house too cold or what?

Report Violation

Bottom

BooBear
Posted: Thursday March 04, 2010 1:33 PM

Maybe you're over beating...or not beating enough?

I know when I add salt I dissolve it in the water or milk (slightly warmed) that my recipe calls for.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday March 04, 2010 2:31 PM

My guess is that you are using an all-butter buttercream recipe.

Butter will break down if it gets a little warm whether that means the heat of your hands or the heat in the room.

Are you using meringue powder in your recipe? Are you using regular table salt? Those are culprits of the dreaded "white spots."

Report Violation

Bottom

vanilla sugar
Posted: Friday March 12, 2010 11:20 PM

My buttercream sometimes does that too! I find it happens most when I'm decorating with bright colors. The heat from my hands sort of melts the icing in the pastry bag and it's visible in bright colors especially. It happens when the room is hot, too.
Also happens when I'm mixing in colors, holding the bowl in my hand. It always seems to be heat for me that melts it and that makes the white spots or streaks.

(I use all Crisco and that too must have something to do with it. Most of the time I forget the Meringue powder and I always dissolve the popcorn salt in the liquid.)

Vanilla Sugar

Report Violation

Bottom

pthelen
Posted: Tuesday March 30, 2010 6:07 PM

Can you tell me what hi ratio means? Does Crisco make a hi ratio shotening? Also, does anyone know if Bunnywoman's buttercream icing is considered "Wilton's" medium consistency?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: