skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Cake Mix Extender recipe....
Created On Tuesday February 16, 2010 1:41 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday February 16, 2010 1:41 PM

Cake Mix Extender

Add the following to a box mix to make 1 1/2 mixes.

1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup water

** I do like to use Cake flour too for this, but regular all purpose flour works just fine too.
** I just add all of the dry ingredients in with the box mix and stir it up with a whisk. You can sift this if you like, but I find the whisk works just as well and has less mess!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday February 16, 2010 2:37 PM

This one is courtesy of HPJMOM:

Cake Mix Extender

1 cup flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup oil
2/3 cup milk or water
1 tsp. baking powder

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Tuesday February 16, 2010 3:26 PM
View users profile

There is also a sour cream one too. I'll try and find it. This is great...a thread with all the extenders!!

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Tuesday February 16, 2010 3:30 PM
View users profile

Cake Mix extender

Prepare cake mix as per package directions. In addition to this add,
1 egg
1 cup flour
250 ml (or 8 oz.) sour cream or yogurt (I prefer to use low fat yogurt)
1 cup white sugar
1/3 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla or other suited flavouring

Instructions
Bake as per pkg. directions

Fat content will vary depending on whether or not you use full fat sour cream or yogurt. I’ve used them all including low fat sour cream, yogurt etc…. and the results are great each and every time.

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Wednesday February 17, 2010 11:54 AM
View users profile

Cassandrascakes Large Quantity Cake Mix
Posted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:55 PM

I have searched high and low to find a thread on mixing up more than one cake mix at a time for making a large quantity of cake batter at one time. I have mixed several suggestions from others and came up with this and it is wonderful. It produce a wonderful flavor with a fine crumb. I used it for a stacked 14"square, 12"round, 8"square and 6"round wedding cake that a bride wanted. It held up beautifully. I frosted my cake with Earlene Moore's cream cheese icing and it turned out great.

This cake recipe is the maximum quantity for your 5 quart mixing bowl. It mixed up perfect in my Kitchen Aid Accolade. It yielded 15 1/2 cups cake batter.

2 Duncan Hines Butter Recipe cake mixes (I guess you could use any flavor)
2 cups All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
4 Sticks Butter (I used half butter, half margarine)
2 2/3 cups water
6 eggs
1 box French Vanilla Pudding Mix (instant)
2 tsp Baking Powder

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, mix until blended. Add cake mix, pudding, flour and baking powder. Blend on low while drizzling in water in a thin stream. Mix until smooth (doesn't take long), and bake according to directions for your pan size. I had to share this because it turned our so good. I hope someone else enjoys!!

From Beanie70----
The only thing I do different is I use all butter and I use the large box of pudding instead of the small one. I also use Betty Crocker Golden vanilla instead of DH, but that's just my preference. It really taste wonderful!

Report Violation

Bottom

Mama Bear
Posted: Monday May 17, 2010 1:36 PM

bunnywoman : If I'm going to use 2 cake mixes, can I just use one recipe of the extender. Each of my cake mixes will give me about 5 cups of batter, and I only need 11 cups for the pan.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday May 17, 2010 3:21 PM

Sure you can.

Report Violation

Bottom

nzp9m5
Posted: Wednesday October 13, 2010 3:50 PM

I noticed that one of the extenders has pudding and another has sour cream. Has anybody used the pudding and the sour cream in the same extender or to a box mix without being an extender. I thought I saw a recipe that was from a couple years ago that used both in the same recipe? Thanks to anyone who could help me out.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Thursday October 14, 2010 7:41 AM

I use the instant pudding mix and yogurt in the same recipe...Not the extender......just a regular DH cake mix..but I also add extra oil, an extra egg and more flavoring. And I only use a couple of tablespoons of pudding mix and a half or whole container of yogurt...whatever flavor that goes with the cake mix.
I especially like pineapple yogurt with the DH pineapple supreme cake mix..to which I also add a half of a ripe banana. My customers love it!
That's what's so great about mixes..they're very forgiving..You can add almost anything to them and they still turn out good.

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Thursday October 14, 2010 10:08 AM
View users profile

Here's a link to a recipe that has pudding and sour cream without the extender. It works extremely well for other flavors, just omit the chips and match the pudding to the flavor of cake mix. Water also can be subbed for the milk.

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/recipes/dessert/the-best-chocolate-cake.html

Sweetgrandma--what's the difference with the cake if you use half a box of pudding vs. a whole box? Does it effect flavor, texture, height?

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Thursday October 14, 2010 1:36 PM

cattitude...
taste and texture...at least IMHO........ I made it the first time with the whole box and the next time with only a couple of spoonfuls and I liked the second one better. It seemed lighter and more flavorful. That said...we all have different ideas of what's good....I'd try it both ways if I were you and see which you prefer.

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Thursday October 14, 2010 2:00 PM
View users profile

Awesome. I definitely will.
Thank you SweetGrandma!

Report Violation

Bottom

nzp9m5
Posted: Thursday October 14, 2010 5:11 PM

WOW! both sounds yummy! Thank you SweetGrandma and Cattitude.. I plan on trying one or both of these recipes this weekend. Cattitude I checked out that link OMG my mouth was watering. did you use all that oil without the chips?

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Thursday October 14, 2010 7:39 PM
View users profile

I only use half a cup of oil and choc chips because my daughter is a chocolate lover. Only half!

Report Violation

Bottom

YOFJAB
Posted: Thursday December 30, 2010 3:50 PM

i still haven't tried an extender recipe yet but I promised myself I will in the next month or so for one of the cakes I bring to work. Question -- Does it effect the flavor of the cake box mix? I mean if I am using a lemon box mix with an extender, do I need to add lemon juice or lemon flavoring? Or more vanilla to a yellow or French vanilla mix with an extender -- or strawberry flavoring with a strawberry box mix and an extender?
Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday December 30, 2010 7:01 PM

I do just that. If I am making a lemon cake and add an extender recipe to it then I will add 1 tsp of lemon extract to it as well.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Thursday December 30, 2010 9:07 PM

Hey bunnywoman - would this work on my scratch cake mix do you know ? !!!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday December 31, 2010 9:23 AM

Yes it should.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday August 02, 2011 11:16 PM

I haven't used the BW extender recipe, I've stuck to my tried and true, The Cake Mix Doctor, Basic Sour Cream recipe. I LOVE it! Everybody else LOVES it. Nobody wants to ever eat anything else after they taste it. I call it a WASC, but maybe it isn't really.....I just know it is easy, consistent, reliable, sturdy, carves well, has a great crumb, and tastes fabulous.

Here's the recipe I use, exactly as printed in the Cake Mix Doctor book:
Basic Sour Cream White Cake
1 package (18.25 oz.) plain white cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I use almond extract)

and here's my favorite chocolate recipe so far:

Darned Good Chocolate cake (from Cake Mix Doctor book, Anne Byrn)
1 pkg devil's food cake mix
1 (4 oz.) box instant chocolate pudding mix
1 cup sour cream
½ cup water
½ cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
Chocolate chips if desired (I don't like the texture difference, so I don't add chips)

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Wednesday August 03, 2011 12:11 AM
View users profile

Well if you ever need more volume and just don't have the extra cake mix around, you might want to try it someday. I love the extender because it makes a taller cake, tastes great and it adds scratch into the cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: