skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Chocolate cake with fondant
cahieanne 02/07/2010 3:30 PM
I want to make a chocolate cake on the inside, but cover it with white fondant. Would I use buttercream or chocolate buttercream under the fondant?
Also, does anyone have an enhanced chocolate cake mix they would like to share?
Thanks a lot,
Cathieanne
cakedujour 02/07/2010 4:28 PM
When I cover a chocolate cake with fondant I put a thin coat of white buttercream under the fondant. I don't use mixes much so I can't help you with an enhanced recipe using one. I do know that many people use recipes from the Cake Doctor book to enhance mixes.
bassettscreek 02/08/2010 9:21 AM
Cahieanne, you may use either chocolate buttercream or plain buttercream to crumb coat your cake before covering with fondant. Have used chocolate buttercream and it was soo yummy. ^_^
bassettscreek 02/08/2010 9:22 AM
don't use cake mixes ... but if you want a outstanding chocolate cake, make my Fantastic Devil's Food Cake ... the recipe is posted here. Best chohcolate cake you'll ever eat. Once you eat a piece of this cake, you can't get enough ... you'll keep coming back for more. ^_^
cahieanne 02/08/2010 3:05 PM
Where is that yummy recipe? I will make it!
I am making a birthday cake for my granddaughter for Sunday and it's going to be chocolate with white fondant with those little cut out presents on it. (She's 7)
Thanks,
Cath