skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Modeling Chocolate
Created On Monday February 01, 2010 5:55 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Joules
Posted: Monday February 01, 2010 5:55 AM
View users profile

Does anyone have a recipe for Modeling Chocolate? And can it be used in place of fondant to cover a cake?? I see it being used on Cake Boss and wonder if it would taste better than the fondant??

Joules

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Monday February 01, 2010 8:13 AM

Here's the Wilton recipe

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Candy-Clay-1

Here are a couple of others, but I haven't tried them They're pretty much the same

http://www.ehow.com/how_5226271_make-recipe-cake-dessert-decorating.html

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/MODELING-CHOCOLATE-1230009

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Monday February 01, 2010 12:41 PM

Here is what I found

Dark Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup (60 ml) light corn syrup

Semi-Sweet Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
3 1/2 - 4 tablespoons light corn syrup

White Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) white chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Milk Chocolate Modeling Paste:
7 ounces (200 grams) Milk Chocolate
2 1/2 - 3 tablespoons light corn syrup.

Note: To prevent the corn syrup from sticking to the measuring cup or spoons, spray with Pam or grease with vegetable oil before measuring.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or metal bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Stir the chocolate until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and stir until smooth and cooled a bit.

Stir in the corn syrup. The chocolate will stiffen almost immediately. Stir until completely combined. Transfer the chocolate to a sturdy plastic freezer bag and refrigerate until firm (about two hours).

When the dough is firm, remove from the refrigerator, and knead it until it is soft enough to work with. If it is too hard, cut off small pieces, and knead until pliable. Grease the counter where you are working with oil or spray with Pam so the chocolate won't stick.

I have used the one for White Chocolate and it worked great for making figures. I have never tried to cover a cake with it though. I have however cover a cake with candy clay, which is the first recipe Maria posted. It was pretty easy to work with but I found it to be very sweet. You might also like to try Marshmallow fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

JustADream
Posted: Monday February 01, 2010 1:44 PM

Ooooh I think I'm gonna try that recipe as well Thank you!!

Report Violation

Bottom

kris0
Posted: Friday February 19, 2010 1:30 PM

I was looking at another thread on this forum and it said not to refrigerate the wilton/corn syrup modeling chocolate recipe? I don't understand why you wouldn't want to. Chocolate melts. I am just now making this for the first time but logic tells me that if I don't refrigerate it and keep my hands cool while working with it, it's not going to hold up correctly. Does anyone have any other ideas on that "do not refrigerate" theory? I'm putting mine in the refrigerator and hope that I am doing the right thing. I have a cake to be done with by Sunday night and haven't done anything but make the fondant so I don't want to run into too many barriers on the way though some are inevitable.

Report Violation

Bottom

cheatize
Posted: Sunday February 21, 2010 1:51 PM

Chocolate blooms with moisture, so I think that's why you shouldn't refrigerate it. The humidity in the fridge will cause white spots to form on it.

I've had one experience with modeling chocolate. It was extremely difficult for me to work with because it got very hard and was nearly impossible to soften. I don't think I'd cover a whole cake with it for this reason. However, my recipe may have been wrong or I may have made it incorrectly, so take that advice with that in mind.

At the very least, I'd experiment with it first.

Report Violation

Bottom

coloradogirl
Posted: Monday February 22, 2010 1:48 PM

I just noticed that my post was the same as Marie's last link. Hehe, silly me!

To clarify, modeling chocolate and candy clay (which is made with the Wilton Candy Melts) are two different things. I have worked with both. I made the white modeling chocolate twice. One time I put it in the fridge and one time I didn't. It set up better and was easier to work with when I put it in the fridge. It took a while to warm up enough to work with but it was easier to shape and held the shape better. I only made the candy clay once. I think I added too much corn syrup because it was very soft. I had to put it in the fridge so I could shape it. I also covered the whole cake with it and put the cake in the fridge. I don't think it had any adverse effect on the candy clay.

Report Violation

Bottom

Littleone2648
Posted: Monday March 29, 2010 7:48 AM

Please help

I used the following link for modeling chocolate:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5226271_make-recipe-cake-dessert-decorating.html

I tried it once with milk chocolate wilton wafers and it turned out great. Then I tried it with white chocolate wilton wafers and used food coloring and had problems: there were white spots in the chocolate (areas that didn’t tint), and the chocolate never became as firm like the milk chocolate mold did.

Can anyone tell me what went wrong or what to do differently?

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: