skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Bunnywoman's buttercream recipe
Created On Friday January 29, 2010 8:14 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

rhondascakes
Posted: Friday January 29, 2010 8:14 PM

Ok I must be nuts, I have searched in the recipe section and cannot find Bunnywoman's recipe for her buttercream icing that I keep hearing about.

Can someone please give it to me.

Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

caf
Posted: Friday January 29, 2010 8:36 PM

I bumped it for you. I had a hard time finding it also don't know why

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday January 29, 2010 8:53 PM

BUTTERCREAM ICING

1 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup butter (can use salted or unsalted)- softened
1/3 cup luke warm water
1 tsp popcorn salt
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp butter extract
2 lb. bag of powder sugar

**** I recommend using a stand-up mixer (Kitchen Aid) for this.****

Cream together the butter and Crisco until nice and fluffy. (I use speed 6 for this on my KA.) When it lightens in color (almost white) it is ready for the next step.

Measure out the luke warm water in a standard measuring cup and dissolve the popcorn salt in this water.
I then add the flavorings to the cup. Stir it up well with a spoon.
Turn your mixer speed to the lowest possible setting and add in the powdered sugar slowly. Alternate back and forth
with the water mixture. Keep the mixer on low until all liquid and powdered sugar are combined.
Once combined then turn the mixer up a notch and mix well. Approximately 2-3 minutes.

Heavy cream or milk can be substituted for the water too. This will make for a smoother, creamier frosting. Refrigerate your
cake if you use these.

You can mix and match flavorings in my recipe. I have done all sorts of different combinations. I love Lorann
Flavorings in this too!!!!! They have over 30+ different flavors!!!!!

This will make what I call between thin to medium consistency icing. I can frost my cakes just fine with this
and do simple borders as well.

To make roses: If I have to make a ton of roses (and only roses) I use the same recipe above, BUT I half everything. Meaning, ½ cup of shortening, ½ cup butter
etc. etc. etc. Instead of 1/3 cup water……. I add ¼ cup water. This will give you a stiffer icing, but not so stiff it will make your hand feel like it is gonna fall off!!!!

*****NOTE******
Everyone’s hand grip is different so if you feel this is still too stiff for you add and additional tsp(s) of water and mix again. It just needs to be stiff enough to hold the petal shape, but yet flow decently out of the tip. Play with it. See what works for your liking.

This icing gets rave reviews by my customers, friends, and family.

Enjoy,
Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

rhondascakes
Posted: Saturday January 30, 2010 7:47 AM

Thank you, I'm excited to try it.
Rhonda

Report Violation

Bottom

ChrisCanBake
Posted: Monday February 01, 2010 5:01 PM

OMG!

Why did I wait to try this recipe? It is fantastic! I love the way it looks just sitting in my container. Tastes creamy and looks like it will be easy to use on my cake.

I normally do an all shortening buttercream. Will this one crust at all?

I followed the directions almost to the "t" (didn't have any butter flavor extract). Since I used the butter and water, not the milk or cream, do I need to put it in the fridge?

Thanks so much.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday February 01, 2010 5:11 PM

It will crust and NO you do not need to refrigerate the cake using water and butter.

The ONLY time I refrigerate my cakes is if I use a perishable filling or it is really, REALLY hot & humid.

Report Violation

Bottom

divac
Posted: Monday February 01, 2010 6:26 PM

Bunnywoman, Oh my goodness! I am about to finish the Wilton Course One. Made your frosting for my last cake project this week. I am not a frosting fan. In fact, I usually ask for the piece of cake in the center with the least frosting on it. Never again! I think I have eaten 1/4 cup of the frosting already...by itself! I hope I have enough left to finish my cake without making more. I fear my recent weight loss efforts will be ruined by the discovery of your recipe. Thank you so much for sharing!!!!! It's awesome!

Report Violation

Bottom

Charliecake
Posted: Tuesday February 02, 2010 10:08 PM

Wow !! Made Bunnywoman's buttercream tonight after reading all about it and all I can say was YUMMY !! The kids loved it, the hubby loved it and it was super easy to whip up. Thanks Bunnywoman for sharing !!!

Report Violation

Bottom

rhondascakes
Posted: Tuesday February 02, 2010 10:13 PM

I did not have much success with my first batch of Bunnywoman's buttercream recipe.

I went to the store (I'm in Canada) to buy popcorn salt, but could not find any. But remembered fine salt would do the trick, I found some and went home and whipped up a batch of the icing. YUCKY!!!!! After closer examination of the salt box, it is actually sea salt. That is some potent stuff.

This weekend I will try another batch with regular salt, hopefully I'll end up with the good stuff everyone is raving about.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 2:17 AM

Rhonda,

You are not the first one who has tried the sea salt in it. Sea salt and popcorn salt are two totally different things. As you found out, the sea salt is horrible in this. It does NOT work.

You need a finer grain of salt. Popcorn salt works the best. Please try the popcorn salt and then let me know how it worked for you.

Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

Journey0826
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 6:45 AM

Bunnywoman, if popcorn salt is not available what would you use instead? I am going to the store now to see if they have any, but we are very limited in the stuff we get. x_x

Thanks a ton!
Journey0826
(Brandi)

Report Violation

Bottom

ladycatisadiva
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 7:04 AM
View users profile

If you cannot find popcorn salt, or Diamond Crystal Salt, just use regular table salt dissovled in water or milk.

Report Violation

Bottom

Journey0826
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 7:37 AM

Thanks a lot ladycat! <3

Report Violation

Bottom

katiekakes86
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 12:32 PM

I'm venturing away from the Wilton buttercream we were taught to make, and thought I would try bunnywoman's recipe. I have questions of course ;)
Can this recipe be cut in half? Or does it even need to be to use with my KitchenAid stand mixer?
I need white white icing so should I use all shortening in place of butter?
Can you use a Viva papertowel on the cake after it sets for awhile?

Thanks so much ahead of time!

Report Violation

Bottom

Journey0826
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 2:46 PM

I used this recipe today but it was way to cold and rainy to walk to the store with the baby so I used table salt. It has been several hours and it hasnt crusted at all. I tried the viva paper towel trick and it worked in some parts, but some of the icing stuck to the paper towel. I dont know if this is because I used table salt or not.

as for the color, it looks pretty dang white to me! It could probably be whiter, yes, but it would defiantly pass as white in my book. I would post a pic, but I ran out of icing at the last min so I am going to make another batch in the morning to finish the last few inches of the border lol.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 3:36 PM

"Can this recipe be cut in half?"
You can. When I want to make a ton of roses I do that with the exception of the liquids. As far as making a half a batch of icing for use as a base icing for my cakes? No. I do not make just half a batch then. I make the full and freeze the leftovers in a freezer Ziploc baggy. I will just refrigerate the leftovers if I will need the icing in 2 weeks or less.

" Or does it even need to be to use with my KitchenAid stand mixer?"
I highly recommend using a Kitchen Aid stand mixer (or some type of stand mixer) for this. WHY? Because I let the Crisco and butter cream for about 7-8 minutes until it is fluffy and lightens in color. Then I add in the rest of the ingredients and mix for another 7-8 minutes. I am not real keen on standing there holding a hand held mixer for roughly 16 minutes. Know what I mean? I turn the mixer on and basically let it run by itself while I catch up on other things quick. A hand held can whip up the Crisco and butter nicely, but when it comes to adding in all of the other ingredients then the mixer will bog down slightly. A standing Kitchen Aid mixer is a great investment that I highly recommend to all.

"I need white white icing so should I use all shortening in place of butter? "
You most certainly can. I think the recipe as is ...is pretty white to me.

"Can you use a Viva papertowel on the cake after it sets for awhile?"
You bet! I do it on every single cake I do. It takes roughly 10-15 minutes for it to crust nicely for me. Allot depends on the elements. If it is really hot and humid it is gonna take 15-30 minutes before you will notice a crusting effect.

Report Violation

Bottom

katiekakes86
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 3:59 PM

Thank you so much! I'm excited to try this tonight! I have a big cake to do for the weekend.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 4:24 PM

Keep me posted. If you need help just give me a hollar!

Report Violation

Bottom

rhondascakes
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 5:02 PM

Ok is there something I am doing wrong? The icing is good, but I'm not as enthused as everyone else.

Here is what I used.

1 cup butter (salted)
1 cup high ratio shortening
1 bag icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter extract
1 tsp salt (had to use regular but disolved it in the water)
1/3 cup water

It still has a salty taste to me.

Thanks
Rhonda

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday February 03, 2010 6:20 PM

Since you used salted butter then try using only 1/2 tsp popcorn salt.

This will be better.

If you used regular salt you HOT water so that it really dissolves the salt completely. My guess is that is didn't dissolve adequately enough.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: