skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Bunnywoman's buttercream recipe
Created On Friday January 29, 2010 8:14 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ << 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format

MarieB217
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 8:30 AM

I have been using the Wilton buttercream and had found it improved by using high-ratio shortening. I still wasn't completely happy with it, though, mainly because it was so "put you into a diabetic coma" sweet. I like sweet, but it was a little TOO sweet.

So, for my niece's birthday cake, I decided to try bunnywoman's recipe. Oh. my. goodness. It was DELICIOUS. It was still plenty sweet, but not so richly sweet that you can't eat much of it (in fact, that may the only problem with it...the temptation to eat too much of it!). I'm incredibly impressed and will definitely be using this recipe from here on. Thank you, bunnywoman, for sharing it!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday October 02, 2012 7:03 PM

Bless you!

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

zimleechy
Posted: Wednesday October 03, 2012 10:54 PM

Hi Bunnywoman,
Approx. how many cups does this make?
Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 7:49 AM
View users profile

zimleechy, go back one page (to page 21) of this thread. Bunny posted the yields at the top of the page.

Report Violation

Bottom

WendiWickedCreations
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 4:35 PM

I was just told in class yesterday NOT to use butter for the color of the frosting wont be pure white and will effect the color when i add coloring ? So................. why do so many 0n this post use it .
My email is pugscardinal@aol.com if anyone cares to talk and or teach me .
Wendi

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 6:52 PM

Wendi,

Trust me..... this is a white frosting. The key or the trick to it is to beat the butter & shortening for the FULL 7-8 minutes FIRST and then add in the remaining ingredients. This works much better with a powerful mixer like a Kitchen Aid stand mixer or a Cuisinart or something similar. Just turn it on and let it rip! I multi task while it is mixing away.

I promise I will make a believer out of you! Send your teacher my way. I will make a believer out of them too. This takes on color beautifully. I get rave reviews all the way around for my icing.

Give it a whirl and let me know what you think!

Good luck,
BW

Report Violation

Bottom

tmana
Posted: Thursday October 04, 2012 9:54 PM

Wendi, I only use shortening for class cakes -- I don't like the taste, smell, or nutritional values of shortening. I use only butter, and my buttercream comes out white to ivory white. If I need it to look "optical white" (aka "bright white") I use something like Wilton's "Bright White" or Country Kitchen's "White-White" to help it along.

Report Violation

Bottom

vickistpierre
Posted: Sunday October 21, 2012 7:59 PM

Has anyone tried this recipe without a cup of butter more high ratio shortening? If so do you get lots of tiny air bubbles? I seem to get air bubbles in almost every icing recipe I make, any suggestions?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday October 21, 2012 9:36 PM

I have. The more high ratio I use the more "whippy" in texture it gets. You can certainly eliminate all of the butter and use strictly high ratio, but it isn't going to taste the same. I do like the taste of the richness that the butter gives it. That is why I use a mixture of the two. I get the best of both worlds then. The richness of the butter and the creaminess of the shortening. It is what works best for me and my needs and environment.

If you are getting too many air bubbles you need to do the following:
1. Make sure you are using the flat beater (paddle attachment) DO NOT use the whisk attachment. That whisk will incorporate air into your buttercream and make it very, very airy.

2. Make sure your butter is of room temperature that it is soft but not on the verge of melting.

3. Make a 4 pound batch. This will get the paddle below the icing so that when it revolves around it stays below and doesn't make big holes therefore incorporating air back into the icing. Some people like to do a 5 pound batch, but I like the 4 pound best. WHY? Because then I do not have to measure any powdered sugar. I just open up two bags and I am good to go.

4. Make sure you are using pure cane powdered sugar. I find I just have much, MUCH better luck when I use this. I can get the C & H brand here all over. I know others can get Dominos locally which is another brand of pure cane 10x sugar. Either works just fine.

5. You may need to adjust up or down on the liquids depending on your environment. If it is really hot & humid then I will scale back some on the liquids. If it is a really cool or cold day with low humidity then I might need to add just a touch more. Climates are different throughout the country so make adjustments accordingly.

6. If you still have bubbles when done then you can take a spatula or spoonula and "slap it back and forth" in the bowl for like 5-8 minutes. This is tiring, but it does work.

Good luck,
Bunny

Report Violation

Bottom

vickistpierre
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 9:47 AM

Thank you Bunnywoman. I do use the paddle, I make the 4lb batch and the paddle does go below the icing. The 5 gets in mixer head. I always Dominos, so it could be the liquids bc I live close the New Orleans and if that's not it I will try slapping the bowl.
With the liquids I find I need more liquid to keep it from being so stiff. Should I make it stiff then add a little water after taking small batches out of the bowl? Also I have a brand new Kenmore mixer and the paddle is a little different that the kitchen aid, do you think that could be the problem? I just want to get very smooth icing and I just can't seem to get it.
Thank you so much!

Report Violation

Bottom

a baking fool
Posted: Tuesday October 23, 2012 3:33 PM

BW I used a store brand (shop rite) 10X sugar and was not happy with my results...tastes fine, whippiness (is that a word?) fine but there is a very faint grittiness to it...I usually use Walmart brand with no problem, am I being to fussy or have others come across this problem...

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday October 23, 2012 8:40 PM

Vicki: If you do more shortening than butter (or omit the butter and use all shortening) then you have to add more liquids to it. Shortening can take allot more liquids, whether that be more flavoring or more creamer liquid or a combo of both. It is up to you as to what you want to do with your batch of icing. If you need 3 different consistencies then yes remove what you want in the stiff consistency and set aside. Do the same with the remaining only add more liquids to make it medium consistency and even more liquids for a thin version.

A Baking Fool: If you have a slight grittiness that comes from the powdered sugar you use. I always get that when I use the GV brand from Wal-Mart. I have contradicted that with adding more liquids to it and beat the living daylights out of it. If you can find some Dominos or C & H brand powdered sugar try that and see if you like the results better.

Bunny

Report Violation

Bottom

Mickeebabe
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 4:00 PM

Can I substitute the 1 tsp of almond extract for 1 tsp of cinnamon extract? Or would that be too much cinnamon?

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 6:23 PM

TOO MUCH cinnamon!!!! That stuff is really potent!!!!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

vickistpierre
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 7:21 PM

Thanks Bunnywoman!

Report Violation

Bottom

crystl2critt
Posted: Monday November 05, 2012 11:53 AM

Can this be used for a wedding cake? I am doing my first and sometimes the buttercream I make I use butter and shortening and it looks greasy and cracks sometimes.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Monday November 05, 2012 12:59 PM
View users profile

This is a lovely buttercream for wedding cakes. Mock Shack's is good, and Cami's buttercream is good. You will be happy with any of these.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Monday November 05, 2012 11:07 PM
View users profile

I recently used Sharon Zambito's recipe for a wedding cake and I was able to get perfect edges and was so proud of myself..Also, Cami's recipe does a fantastic job..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

turtle2778
Posted: Tuesday December 11, 2012 6:56 PM

Okay I have made this several times and everyone LOVES it. First question, does anyone else notice that it gets WET?? I mean literally wet and I have made it in 2 different states at different times of the year and it always gets greasy looking on top. Some times even looks like water droplets on the top. Second, how do I make it stiffer for doing lets say flowers? Or do you use something else. The flavor is fantastic, but I'm struggling with what I am doing wrong to make it NOT be wet. Also it takes a VERY long time to crust, HELP!!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday December 11, 2012 8:03 PM

Wet????? Sounds like your butter was on the verge of melting instead of just softened. There is a huge difference in the two.

Flowers? Add more powdered sugar to it to stiffen it up. You want it stiff enough to hold a petal but not too stiff that your hand feels like it will fall off from squeezing the bag too hard. Know what I mean?

BW

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ << 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 >> Previous Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: