skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Need help making Navy Blue frosting - Anyone??
Joyous 01/26/2010 9:52 PM
I am hosting a bridal shower for a friends daughter and her colors are Navy Blue and White. So, I am making some cutout cookies and want to frost them with navy blue frosting. I have never used the Icing Colors but Wilton says to use Royal Blue and Black to make navy. My question is what quantity are we talking about. Do I start with a tsp. of royal blue and 1/2 tsp. of black or do I need more. And does the Icing colors have a taste that will affect my frosting.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!
Sugar Pie 01/26/2010 10:54 PM
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/colormixingchart.htm
This coloring chart might help you.

1/2 tsp. of black to 1 tsp. of blue is too much. You will need to add the black a little at a time, or you will end up with more of a black icing. As for an off-taste, it will depend on the brand of coloring that you are using. You will be using more of the blue color, so I don't think this will be too much of an issue. You'll have to give it a taste-test after you get your desired color.

I start with a royal blue icing. I then add a very small amount of black - a drop at a time. Mix this until you reach your desired color.
If I have black icing already mixed up, I add small amounts of this to my royal blue icing.
Both of these methods will produce a navy blue color.
Sometimes adding liquid coloring will thin your icing. You can add cornstarch to produce a stiffer icing. Powdered sugar can also be used, but I have great luck with the cornstarch. Start by adding a teaspoon at a time.

Hope your cookies turn out beautiful!

riverchild 01/27/2010 6:53 AM
Joyous, Americolor makes a navy blue. It is very nice. There is no aftertaste. If you have access to a bakery supply store, they may have it. I order mine from cakeartpartystore.com.
Joyous 01/27/2010 9:56 AM
Thank you so much.......I'm going on line now to order it. I really appreciate you help!!
Joyous 01/27/2010 9:58 AM
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and get the already made Navy blue food coloring, but if I can't get it in time and will use your suggestions on the Royal blue and black. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!