skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Need help making Navy Blue frosting - Anyone??
Created On Tuesday January 26, 2010 9:52 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Joyous
Posted: Tuesday January 26, 2010 9:52 PM

I am hosting a bridal shower for a friends daughter and her colors are Navy Blue and White. So, I am making some cutout cookies and want to frost them with navy blue frosting. I have never used the Icing Colors but Wilton says to use Royal Blue and Black to make navy. My question is what quantity are we talking about. Do I start with a tsp. of royal blue and 1/2 tsp. of black or do I need more. And does the Icing colors have a taste that will affect my frosting.

Thanks so much for any help you can give me!

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Tuesday January 26, 2010 10:54 PM

http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/coloring/colormixingchart.htm
This coloring chart might help you.

1/2 tsp. of black to 1 tsp. of blue is too much. You will need to add the black a little at a time, or you will end up with more of a black icing. As for an off-taste, it will depend on the brand of coloring that you are using. You will be using more of the blue color, so I don't think this will be too much of an issue. You'll have to give it a taste-test after you get your desired color.

I start with a royal blue icing. I then add a very small amount of black - a drop at a time. Mix this until you reach your desired color.
If I have black icing already mixed up, I add small amounts of this to my royal blue icing.
Both of these methods will produce a navy blue color.
Sometimes adding liquid coloring will thin your icing. You can add cornstarch to produce a stiffer icing. Powdered sugar can also be used, but I have great luck with the cornstarch. Start by adding a teaspoon at a time.

Hope your cookies turn out beautiful!

Report Violation

Bottom

riverchild
Posted: Wednesday January 27, 2010 6:53 AM

Joyous, Americolor makes a navy blue. It is very nice. There is no aftertaste. If you have access to a bakery supply store, they may have it. I order mine from cakeartpartystore.com.

Report Violation

Bottom

Joyous
Posted: Wednesday January 27, 2010 9:56 AM

Thank you so much.......I'm going on line now to order it. I really appreciate you help!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Joyous
Posted: Wednesday January 27, 2010 9:58 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and get the already made Navy blue food coloring, but if I can't get it in time and will use your suggestions on the Royal blue and black. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: