skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Buttercream Frosting turning to Marshmallow
Created On Tuesday January 19, 2010 8:28 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

pthelen
Posted: Tuesday January 19, 2010 8:28 AM

I have tried two times to make buttercream frosting and both times it has turned to a marshmallow consistency. What am I doing wrong? I follow the directions to a T!
Thanks for any help.

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Tuesday January 19, 2010 9:28 AM

What recipe are you using? Posting your recipe will aid us in helping you find a solution. Sounds like you're getting a medium consistency rather than stiff.

Report Violation

Bottom

pthelen
Posted: Tuesday January 19, 2010 10:52 AM

I am using the recipe from Course 1 from the Wilton Class I. When I am making it it is really stiff even for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer so I did add an additional couple of TBS water to the mix and then mix on #4 for two minutes.

Report Violation

Bottom

pthelen
Posted: Tuesday January 19, 2010 11:01 AM

I am going to give you the recipe because of all the different ones I see. Yields 3 Cups
1 C solid white vegetable shortening (I used Crisco)
1 tsp Wilton Flavor Vanilla
2 T water or milk (I used water)
4 Cups pure cane sugar
1T Wilton Meringue Powder
A pinch of salt

Cream shortening, flavoring and water. Add dry ingredients and mix on med. speed until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed together. Blend an additional minute or so, until creamy. At this point I added 2T water and mixed on medium for two minutes.

Thank you again for your answers.

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Tuesday January 19, 2010 5:46 PM

You may have over beat your icing ... a little too much air. However, it shuld thin nicely for icing. YOu might have to add a little more powdered sugar when you scoop out a portion for coloring for roses. For borders, try a practice run on your practice board or a styrofoam plate. If your borders hold up nicely it will not be necessary to add powdered sugar for them.

Our instructor cautioned us about over mixing our icing and getting too much air in it. This is not a problem unless you're wanting to pipe roses. Then you'll need to add powdered sugar a Tablespoon at a time until it is stiff enough for your purposes.

Not a disaster ^_^

Report Violation

Bottom

Chasey
Posted: Wednesday January 20, 2010 7:36 AM

pthelen, have you tried this recipe that was on a pure cane sugar website? It doesn't contain shortening though. I'm wondering if the shortening was too whipped and gave you that consistency?

Description:
A Traditional Buttercream Frosting--Extremely Popular and Perfect for Most Any Cake

Cooking Time: No cooking required

Ingredients:
3-3/4 cup (l lb. box) C&H Pure Cane Powdered Sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/3 cup butter or margarine (2/3 stick), softened

Instructions:
Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer or with heavy spoon until smooth and creamy; scrape bowl often. If too stiff to spread easily, beat in a few drops of milk.

Variations: Peanut Butter Crunch—substitute peanut butter for butter, sprinkle either candy peanut butter pieces or chopped peanuts over frosting.

Chocolate—add ½ cup cocoa, top with chocolate curls, if desired.

Orange—substitute fresh orange juice for milk, add 1 tsp. orange rind, top with thin strips of orange peel.

Cherry—substitute 3 tbsp. maraschino cherry juice for milk, add in 1/3 cup chopped maraschino cherries.

Serving Size: Makes enough for a 9-inch two-layer cake

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Wednesday January 20, 2010 8:16 AM

pthelen - sounds like you may have overbeaten your icing Also, which blade are you using ? You need to use the flat beater blade, not the whisk, since that will incorporate too much air into the mix

That's the recipe I use all the time with great results

Report Violation

Bottom

pthelen
Posted: Wednesday January 20, 2010 8:45 AM

Thanks for your help. I did seem to mix it a long time. I did use the flat blade on my mixer. I will try your tips and the new recipe on my future endeavors. Thank goodness I am just baking for my family and friends and don't need to make a living at this. ha Bless you all.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: