skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Yellow cake using oil
Created On Monday January 04, 2010 3:40 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

clarefg
Posted: Monday January 04, 2010 3:40 PM

Does anyone have a yellow cake recipe using oil. The yellow cake recipes that I have been trying come out too dense. I've tried shortening, butter, shortening and butter, but they are all too dense and I'm told that they taste more like corn bread or muffins than cake. However, when I use Duncan Hines, or other box mixes and I use the ones that call for oil, they seem more light and fluffy, which is what I'm looking for. I would like to make my cakes from scratch and I'm wondering if anyone has a good recipe

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Monday January 04, 2010 4:25 PM

Try cutting back on your liquids some - about 1/4 cup & replacing that with vegetable oil

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Monday January 04, 2010 4:26 PM

Here's the link where I posted my cake recipe - from scratch Try the trick above, & that should do the trick for you

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=121598&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakeisalie
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 5:07 AM

If you want light and fluffy, here's one for you. This is actually so light and fluffy that you have to take care when handling it, it's not like a boxed cake mix where you can just sling it around. This is taken from a Le Cordon Bleu textbook, and it's not exactly a recipe, so much as a formula and a mixing method. From what I remember, the recipe makes enough for 3 cake pans. I have notes in the book with the measurements in grams reduced to 75% what they were. I'm pretty sure I got 2 very full 9 inch cake pans out of that. The book says 680-800g for a 10in cake pan, the recipe makes 1905g, so reducing it to 2/3rds what it was will probably be good for a 2 layer 9 in cake. Here's the original recipe, I'll include metrics and American measurements since the metrics ones are way easier to work with:

12 oz(360g) butter
13 oz(390g) sugar
.12 oz(2/3 tsp)(4g) salt

7.5 oz(225g) egg

15 oz(450g) cake flour
.62 oz(3 3/4 tsp)(18g) baking powder
15 oz(450g) milk
.24 oz(8g) vanilla extract

The book then says "creaming method". You can actually use any variation of the creaming method with this ratio of ingredients. I'll give you this book's version modified to be precisely for this recipe:

1. Have all ingredients at room temperature(70 degrees).(this really is important in a recipe like this, don't neglect this step)
2. Beat butter until smooth and creamy
3. Cream sugar, salt, and butter at moderate speed until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes(there are a ton of contradictory definitions of 'light and fluffy', the one I've used for this recipe is what the book says, 10 minutes)
4.Whisk the eggs together, add a little at a time making sure eggs are absorbed fully before adding more, then mix until light and fluffy(this whole process should take about 5 minutes)
5. Scrape down sides of the bowl
6. Sift together dry ingredients(flour and baking powder) and mix together wet ingredients(milk and vanilla).

add about 1/4 of the dry ingredients and mix until just blended
add about 1/3 of the wet ingredients and mix until just blended
repeat until all ingredients are used. During this process scrape down the bowl occasionally or you'll end up with lumps.

That's the creaming method. For the rest of it, grease and flour(easiest thing to do is use that Baker's Joy flour and oil spray) your pans and line the bottom with parchment paper. From the table the book says you would bake it at 360 degrees for about 30 minutes, so it's probably 25-35 depending on various factors. A cake is done at between 195-205 degrees. Easiest way to test is to stick a toothpick in the middle and see if it comes out clean.

These professional recipes are difficult, but they blow away the boxed cake mixes or simple recipes. I've done them enough so that they're easy to me. As I said before, handling is difficult, you want the cakes to be completely cool before you attempt to move them off the cooling rack. Covering them and putting them in the freezer for a little while also helps as long as they've been cooling long enough. I do try to avoid exposing my cakes to cold though, there's a reason I don't put milk or anything that spoils at room temperature in buttercream.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 8:20 AM

thecakeisalie - thanks for the recipe/formula !! I'm going to give it a try when I get a chance Will let you know how it works

Report Violation

Bottom

clarefg
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 11:31 AM

Thanks, I'll try both suggestions.

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakeisalie
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 4:52 PM

I have tomorrow off. My goal is to make 6 layers of yellow cake, each using a different recipe, including the one I just posted. Then I'll pick the best one and that will become my base yellow cake recipe. I can post the one that comes out the best tomorrow. I want to try chocolate fudge icing again. I tried it once a while back, and when it cooled down after I iced the cake it basically became fudge. I was looking for something along the lines of what they use to ice chocolate cakes in grocery stories, or just the fudge icing that you can get from a can. I'm pretty sure I overheated the icing when I first tried it, I didn't have a good thermometer back then, now I have an expensive probe thermometer. I'm using a different recipe this time too.

My coworkers are going to be happy . They'll be shocked, though, because normally I bring in stuff like banana chocolate cake, peach vanilla cake, blueberry cake, or any other weird stuff I can dream up. This is like the first ordinary recipe, aside from the strawberry cake, that I''ll be bringing in.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 6:28 PM

thecakeisalie - sounds like you're gonna have a fun day ahead of you !!! LOL

What buttercream recipe do you use ? I just add 1/4 cup cocoa powder or dark cocoa powder + 1 tsp of instant coffee for every 1 lb of powdered sugar & it comes out really, really good (BTW The more you add, the more chocolatey it gets )

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakeisalie
Posted: Tuesday January 05, 2010 6:45 PM

I haven't really gotten fancy with buttercream. I just use a 4:2:1 ratio of of powdered sugar:butter:shortening. For example 24 oz sugar, 12 oz butter, 6 oz of shortening. I beat it at high speed and thin it with water to make it fluffier and then add whatever flavor extract I'm going to use. I've added other stuff to the buttercream as well, such as peanut butter, jam, or fine ground Oreos. It's a solid base recipe overall, but I do want to get a little more creative later. I have an egg yolk based buttercream recipe that I want to try. After I decide on my favorite yellow cake recipe, I want to try a butter-pecan cake using that buttercream.

I've added cocoa powder and instant coffee to the buttercream before, though never at the same time(mocha buttercream, nice idea ). I don't want a chocolate buttercream this time, though, I want a fudge icing.

Report Violation

Bottom

HomeTown Baker
Posted: Wednesday January 06, 2010 9:00 AM

Here is the yellow cake recipe I use if you want to try for seven cakes to test!

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (do not sift the flour)
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1-teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
Vegetable oil
1 stick butter (not margarine), softened
1-tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350°

Cut wax paper to fit the bottom of (3) 9 x 1 1/2-inch round pans. Spray the pans with cooking spray, place the wax paper in the pans and spray the paper.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt, mixing well.

Measure the 1-1/4 cups of milk in a 2 cup measuring cup….then add enough vegetable oil to bring the liquid up to 1-1/3 cups.

Add the milk/vegetable oil mixture, butter and vanilla to the flour mixture and beat with an electric mixer on medium to medium-high speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl as needed.

Add the eggs and continue beating an additional 2 minutes. Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted near center of cake comes out clean, or until cake springs back when touched lightly in the center.

Cool cakes on wire racks for 15 minutes; remove from pans and cool completely.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Wednesday January 06, 2010 9:20 AM

thecakeisalie - the instant coffeee intensifies the chocolate taste, so yoiu don't taste it

Have you taken a look here under recipes, there's a chocolate fudgy recipe there, although I haven't tried it so I don;t know how it is

Thanks for the reciepe HomeTown Baker

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakeisalie
Posted: Wednesday January 06, 2010 10:04 AM

Alright, I made a mistake. If you want a thick cake, don't reduce the weights in the recipe I posted and fill the pans 2/3rds full. You'll probably have a little extra batter, but that's no big deal. You don't want to overfill the pans. 2/3rds of that recipe will yield a pretty thin cake. Of course if you bake enough you probably know how much to fill a pan to get the size you want. I just did that recipe and a variation on it, that's 2 cakes down for today. Also, I didn't mention that you should cool the cakes in the pan for 15 minutes before taking them out.

"Have you taken a look here under recipes, there's a chocolate fudgy recipe there, although I haven't tried it so I don;t know how it is"

I have 5 textbooks from various culinary schools. I always try those first because they have more precise instructions, usually, and weight measurements. I get really good results with these books, so it's what I stick with for the most part.

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakeisalie
Posted: Wednesday January 06, 2010 8:06 PM

Whew, long day of baking.

This I think was the best overall recipe I did today.

5 oz butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, 4 egg yolks, blended

3 cups(12 oz) cake flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla extract
1 and 1/4 cup of milk

Then do the creaming method I posted above. I tried the method of using butter at 65 degrees, and warming the eggs to the temperature of the creamed butter and sugar(it was 73 degrees in this case) and I got a great looking batter. I think I overdeveloped the gluten in the flour in the last stage when you alternately add liquid and dry ingredients(the result of my kitten causing trouble), so I got some pockets of air in some parts of the cake, nothing serious though. So just make sure you mix as little as possible after the flour is added.

The first recipe I posted does taste a little better I suppose, but the difficulty in handling it is a big downside. This one is very easy to pick up and move, it's something you could use for wedding cakes without problems.

Report Violation

Bottom

clarefg
Posted: Thursday January 07, 2010 11:56 AM

this one looks easier. What is the texture of the cake - dense or light?

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakeisalie
Posted: Thursday January 07, 2010 6:11 PM

"this one looks easier. What is the texture of the cake - dense or light? "

It's firmer, but it's also very light, full of air, just make sure to cream the butter and sugar enough, without creaming it to the breaking point. I would go with this one, definitely. The other one is softer and harder to handle.

Report Violation

Bottom

clarefg
Posted: Friday January 08, 2010 11:03 AM

thanks. I'll try it this weekend

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: