skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Frosting recipe question!
angievelvet 12/27/2009 5:48 PM
I am going to be doing a LARGE batch of buttercream frosting - I noticed a lot of recipes call for butter & milk. I need a shelf stable recipe that can stay out for several days - covered in fondant that is. I am worried about spoilage since the butter/milk/etc is perishable. I cannot chill the cake because its gonna be Huge. Any ideas appreciated. I was going to do the standard wilton B.C. frosting recipe but ... ya any advice would be nice
mmumsie 12/27/2009 8:10 PM
I do not use butter in my recipe. I use all shortening. In fact I prefer high ratio shortening, but if that isn't an option this time Crisco will work in a pinch. Though I don't think the results are the same.

I also use hot water and dissolve powdered coffee creamer to be the "milk". You don't have the spoilage problem that you are concerned about. Don't use liquid creamer, just the powdered kind. Good luck! Post a picture in Life Celebrations when done. Love to see it!
Kesha314 12/28/2009 12:50 PM
mmumsie ?...how u do use the creamer mix as a equivalent for the milk? for existence what would equal a cup of milk?
bev4insur 12/28/2009 1:28 PM
does anyone remember the old frosting recipe where you use the canned meringue that you purchased at the wilton store and the evaporated milk? I've lost my recipe and can't remember the amounts of each. It is no longer posted on the wilton website. All the other ingredients are the same as the new one posted, it just doesn't taste as good as the old one.
mmumsie 12/28/2009 9:42 PM
What ever your recipe calls for in liquid, you take equal amounts of hot water to dry coffee creamer. So for example, if your recipe calls for 2T. of milk, I use 2T. of dissolved coffee creamer.

Of course, when I do this for my icing, I make a lot more hot creamer, since I'm doubling or tripling the icing recipe.

bev4insur- did you ask Wilton? Perhaps it's in a old yearbook? Personally, I can't stand meringue powder in my buttercream, so I just don't add it. Good luck with your hunt.
houmoore4 12/29/2009 7:28 AM
I used to put Meringue powder in my B/C. But I ran out at a needy time, so left it out...I didn't notice any type of difference; so I stopped. I do keep it on hand for when I need "egg whites." I never have been able to figure out what it was suppose to do for the icing.

karrietg 12/29/2009 7:01 PM
Try this recipe

1 kg icing sugar (about 8 cups)
1 lb of shortening (high ratio is best, in my opinion)

in a small bowl, combine:
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp meringue powder
1 tsp butter/vanilla powder (or 1 tbsp each of butter and vanilla extract)

slowly mix sugar and shortening, strain meringue powder mixture into sugar/shotening. Mix on low/med in kitchenaide for 2 minutes. Shelf stable for 2 weeks or so ( you will start to notice the water seperating from the mixture) and freezes well.

I guess you could incorporate Mumsies idea and add coffee whitener in the water. I've never tried it though