skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Liquid creamer cake flop
Created On Saturday November 14, 2009 9:12 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

dianners
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 9:12 AM

I made a white cake yesterday and used liquid coffee creamer in place of the water. Didn't I see a thread on here that said you could do that? Anyway, it was a flop. My cake sunk and was very dense. Did I do something wrong or maybe I misunderstood the thread? I did learn from this though.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 1:30 PM

I think bunnywoman did that and it worked for her. Seems like she added half water and half creamer..

Bunny?

I added some amaretto flavored creamer to my buttercream frosting and it was good.

Report Violation

Bottom

mumsy5
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 3:55 PM

I think the creamer was added to butter cream frosting and not a cake. I could be mistaken...but I do use the coffee creamer when I make my butter cream frosting and it really tastes great. Never tried it in a cake though. Sorry...that's all I know about that. ;o)

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 4:53 PM

It is equal amounts of water and dry creamer for icing. So as an example.....

1/3 cup of hot water to 1/3 cup dry creamer....mixed together.

As far as adding it to the cake batter, I have used the already pre-made creamers. I just measured substituted out some of the water for the creamer.

So as an example.......if the cake mix called for 1 1/3 cup water .....I used 1 cup water and 1/3 cup of the flavored creamer.

Does that help?

Bunny

Report Violation

Bottom

dianners
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 6:50 PM

Yes that does help! I substituted the entire amount of water for the creamer. Oops! Apparently that doesn't work! Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 8:21 PM

Anytime I make a cake using a cake mix, I substitute 2% milk for water. It turns out just fine. Less shrinkage and a full bodied cake. Cake mixes contain non-fat dry milk solids. So using 2% milk just enhances the milk solids. If am out of milk, use equal parts water to equal part evaporated milk.

Liquid coffee creamers contain many of the same ingredients of your cake mix. It doesn't contain an ingredient that will activate the non-fat dry milk solid.

Next time, you might try removing one or two tablespoons of water and adding thaat amount of liquid creamer, if your cake mix calls for 1 1/3 cups of water. Wouldn't try it if cake mix calls for 1 cup of water.

Sorry you had a flop ... we've all had our share ^_^

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday November 14, 2009 11:05 PM

Thanks for taking one for the team. We live and learn something new everyday!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday November 15, 2009 10:15 AM

I have the battle scars.................just sayin'.

LOL! LOL! LOL!

Report Violation

Bottom

dianners
Posted: Sunday November 15, 2009 12:34 PM

This is the first major flop I've done, but I expect more will happen the more I venture out in creative baking. Though I must say, this site, with all the great tips and advice has prevented lots of those "flops". You all have been great! Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: