skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Hard Candy Questions
Created On Monday November 02, 2009 8:16 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

starseryn
Posted: Monday November 02, 2009 8:16 PM

Greetings everyone!

I am in the process of figuring out a business plan for making hard candies. I have a few technical issues I was hoping someone might be able to resolve. I understand the basic ratio/recipe for making hard candy as far as ingredients, flavorings and colorings are concerned.

When it comes to hard candy, are preservatives necessary to keep mold and rancidity from occurring? Please keep in mind that these candies are meant to have some shelf life to them as they are being sold. I was looking through the candy supplies at LorAnn Oils and saw they had products there to address both mold and rancidity, but I wasn't sure if it was related to hard candy. If they are, can you give me some examples of products to use and amounts to use per batch size?

I would like my hard candy to have the clear, glistening look to it. I do not want to use confectioner's sugar to keep it from sticking together because it clouds the finish. I have read online that using cooking oil spray on the molds will keep sticking from happening and keep the shine with no aftertaste from the oil. Is this true? I am going to put the hard candy pieces in air tight boxes 7 pieces a box without wrappers. Do you think the oil will be enough to keep them from sticking together for a reasonable amount of time? Should I consider a light coating in something such as carnuaba wax? Will this mess up the finish and/or taste?

There are indentations in the hard candy which I would like to fill with white or colored edible "paint" if you will. Similar to when you would see lollipops with white over raised lettering and pictures. What can you suggest for an edible, somewhat fast drying product or recipe for this? I don't know the traditional terminology for what I described.

I understand that color can be added to the hard candy during creation and I have seen other colors added and swirled into hard sugar after it is poured on say Food Network challenges involving sugar sculptures. Is this feasible with molded sugar? Can I perhaps put drops of other colors into the poured sugar and swirl it with say toothpicks? Will the added coloring change the flavor if I'm not careful about it?

Can edible glitter be added into hard sugar at any point to leave a floating glitter effect in the clear hard candy? Would I have to paint glitter on after for the effect or can it be added directly at some point?

This one has more science behind it so bear with me.
It is my understanding that the state of CA wishes nutritional info to be added along with all food products from this point on. Thus, I need to figure out an accurate, inexpensive way to determine nutritional information for the candy. I have looked online and have found many websites that estimate 1 piece of hard candy being approximately 23-25 calories and about 6g of carbohydrates a piece with 0 or trace amounts of other categories listed. Should I go with these numbers or is there a way to make some of my candy and break down the numbers myself? Will different flavors, colorings or preservatives change nutritional information by much or at all?

Report Violation

Bottom

starseryn
Posted: Monday November 02, 2009 8:21 PM

P.S. If anyone knows anything else about FDA requirements for selling food products or anything specifically related to hard candy please let me know Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Tuesday November 03, 2009 1:59 PM
View users profile

You're asking candy questions on a cake forum - not sure if very many people have much experience with these kind of questions.
Good luck with your business!

Report Violation

Bottom

starseryn
Posted: Wednesday November 04, 2009 3:49 AM

Forums listed for posting on the wilton.com website:
1) Weddings: Board to discuss wedding cakes, planning, favors, etc.
2) Life Celebrations: Board to discuss Birthdays, Anniversaries, Showers, Graduations, Retirements, etc.
3) Seasonal: Board to discuss holidays and seasonal events!
4) Products: Board to discuss your favorite products, past and present.
5) Recipes: Board to share your favorite recipes. (This is where I posted.)
6) General Information: Board for general Wilton discussion.
7) Bake Decorate Celebrate! Television Show: Board to discuss projects, decorating techniques and party ideas as shown on the Bake Decorate Celebrate! Show.

As far as I can see, the word "cake" only comes up specifically under Weddings and the Bake TV Show Forums. Notice that the Weddings section also reads "favors" which can traditionally involve candy such as Jordan Almonds.

The Wilton website itself has a section, if you look at the menu to the left, dedicated to "Candy" as they do make products with which to make candy.

I appreciate your wish of luck with my business. However, I find your post berating me for posting about candy on a "cake forum" to be misinformed and somewhat belittling.

Report Violation

Bottom

starseryn
Posted: Wednesday November 04, 2009 3:53 AM

As I don't expect many sugarwork experts to view this forum, I was hoping posting here would shed some light on the issues I am trying to resolve. Yes, the majority of people that use these forums make cakes. I make and sell them myself. Unfortunately, sugarwork is daily becoming more of a professional "lost" art with very few books or websites dedicated to the subject. My only alternative is to seek out online communities such as this one that work with all forms of confectionary work to inquire at.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakelady56
Posted: Wednesday November 04, 2009 3:27 PM

I make hard candy or what my late mother called old timey hard candy. I use Lorann flavorings and for one batch I use a whole dram bottle, and I color with Wilton paste colorings. I have nevrer used molds just pour on a cookie sheet that I have covered in foil and sprayed with cooking spray. I have my special candy hammer that I crack the candy up with. I do use confectionery sugar to keep it from getting sticky. I use no preservatives just corn syrup, sugar and water. I do have a permit to operate a home bakery and this recipe has been approved by the health inspector. I wish I was as talented as you doing the sugar art. I do live in the state of Virginia so not sure if regulations are the same. Good luck

Report Violation

Bottom

Teresa0401
Posted: Wednesday November 04, 2009 4:01 PM

I have been making hard candy for years. I have sucker molds that are aluminum, spring form that I make a batch of around 45 at a time. I sell them for 60 cents each, and sell all that I can make. The best seller is cinnamon. I use the recipe on the back of the Lorann flavors, but I still use the recipe that they use to have on their flavors about 25 years ago. You put in your color when the candy reaches a certain degee, you add flavors after you remove from stove. I also let it cool a little and make snake/roll like you would with cream candy and cut in bite size pieces. I use cooking spray, don't like to use conf. sugar it gets all over your hands when you want to pick up pieces. I don't use any preservatives, the candy does not last on the shelve long enough to get old. It will stay good for a month with none.

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Wednesday November 04, 2009 11:07 PM

Check your local health dept., dept of agriculture and the licensing agencies for your state and city to get clarification on all point related to opening a home business. Some allow it, while others don't.

Haven't made hard candy yet, but welcome to the board!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Thursday November 05, 2009 12:37 PM
View users profile

Mea culpa - didn't mean to offend nor berate. Hope you post pictures of the work you'll be doing - would love to see them.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: