skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: MarshMallow Fondant Recipe
Created On Thursday October 29, 2009 1:09 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

bassettscreek
Posted: Thursday October 29, 2009 1:09 PM
View users profile

Used marshmallow fondant for the first time last week and thanks to all the ladies here who raved about bunnywomans MMF.

I made two batches; the first with bunnywoman's recipe. and the second with the recipe shown here below. The second batch, from the recipe shown below, was more pliable and not quite as dry. It worked beautifully on my cake. On Tuesday, received reports that the fondant was still soft , tasted great and had not dried out. Because of the additional liquid, used a 2 Lb bag of mini marshmallows and added 1/2 to 1 cup more powdred sugarto compensate. I reached a point where the mixture would not take any more sugar.

The performance was spectacular. Adding the white corn syrup for pliability is a real plus in my book. Made rolling out much easier.

I weighed the fondant after wrapping in plastic wrap and the yield was 3 Lbs. Cost was about $4.

Picture of my cake is attached. My first tiered cake and second fondant covered one.

Marshmellow Fondant ... from Design Me a Cake Site (Edna De la Cruz cake professional, who is also a Wilton Instructor in Florida. she has some great tutorials on You-Tube)

Ingredients:

15 oz. mini marshmallows
2 Tblsp water
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp lemon juice (fresh or bottled)
2 tsp light corn syrup (helps w/ pliability)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon extract
2 lbs (approx 7 C) confectioner's sugar, sifted
1/2 C Crisco or vegetable shortening

Directions:

Grease microwave proof bowl w/ Crisco. Also grease wooden or heat proof spoon. Pour marshmallows and water into bowl. Microwave for approximately 2 minutes stopping and stirring at 40 second intervals. Mixture should be soupy.

Take out of microwave and immediately add corn syrup, lemon juice, salt and extracts. Stir well. Sift confectioner's sugar into mixture, one cup at a time. After approximately 5 cups, grease your hands well with Crisco and knead the mixture in the bowl. Add the sixth cup and continue to knead. Now grease your work surface well and turn mixture out of bowl onto counter. Sift remaining sugar, regrease hands, and knead well. If mixture seems soft, add one additional cup of powdered sugar.

Shape into a mound and put a coating of crisco on outside. Double wrap in cling wrap and insert into ziplock bag. Press air out of bag and seal. Allow to rest overnight, but, can be used after sitting for a few hours.

Megan_18_12.jpg Megan_18_12.jpg  (58 KB)
Megan_18_21.jpg Megan_18_21.jpg  (41 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday October 29, 2009 2:40 PM

That is awesome news and beautiful cake!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Thursday October 29, 2009 5:51 PM
View users profile

Beautiful job !

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday October 29, 2009 6:59 PM

Your cake is fabulous looking!

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Thursday October 29, 2009 10:27 PM
View users profile

bassettscreek.... do I really have to sift the sugar?? LOL I usually use bunnywoman's recipe for MMF and have had pretty goods results. ( and don't have to sift) But you know me....I am always willing to try something new and experiment. I guess I am a glutton for punishment. And where are you located? I cannot get marshmallows in that size bag....which means I have to do the math....not one of my strengths. I DID see they now have those giant marshmallows now. I wish they would just give me a bigger bag of the minis......geez.

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Thursday October 29, 2009 11:47 PM
View users profile

Peachy, 2 Cups = 16 ozs. ^_^ If using Domino brand, you can get by without sifting. ^_^

My small grocery carries the 16 oz. bag of mini marshmallows. Am lazy and don't want to have to cut the large ones ^_^ I used the 16 oz bag. However, when I shopped this week, they only had the 10.5 oz bags. So will just have to cram 2 cups into my large Pyrex measuring cup. As with Bunnywoman's MMF, you pack the little fluffy puffs into your measuring cup.

You may 1/2 the recipe if you don't need large batch.

Most folks do not sift the Domino brand. I do because it settles after packaging and I can sift a 2 Lb bag in a jiffy. Feel the end result is a smoother finished product, whether buttercream or fondant.

Glutton for punishment, I sift Swans Down Cake Flour too. ^_^

Report Violation

Bottom

hpjmom
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 9:52 AM

Nice cake! Thanks for your review on the recipes!

Report Violation

Bottom

candymelt
Posted: Friday October 30, 2009 7:13 PM

I need a brownie recipe!!!!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

Peachygirl1
Posted: Monday November 02, 2009 8:10 PM
View users profile

Bassetscreek...quick question for you. How long in advance did you prepare the "other" fondant. I did a bunch of batches today of both and packaged them double wrapped and in ziploc baggies and they are resting till tomorrow. I am going to hopefully cut my decorations tomorrow morning and store until Friday and Saturday? Do you think the recipe above will be okay? Your thoughts or suggestions pretty please?

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 2:00 AM
View users profile

Sorry Peachy hon, didn't see your question until now. I made mine the day before covering my cakes. By now you've discovered how nicely the MMF is to work with and how great it tastes. Know your cakes turned out beautifully. ^_^

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 6:46 AM

bassettscreek....I'm going to try your mmf...

What size cake does one batch cover?

Does it have a lemony taste?

Thanks so much for posting the recipe!

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 12:25 PM
View users profile

Sweetgramma, one batch covered a two layer tier; 13 1/2 X 9 7/8 2in. Oval Pan. With some left over. Took what was left over and kneaded it with 1/2 of the Bunny batch.

Used Wilton's 13 1/2 oval for bottom tier and the 10 3/4 Oval for the top tier. Cut down three 16 in. cake boards, taped together, and covered to make my oval cake board for bottom tier. Used 14 inch foil covered cake board as transitional board until finishing covering top tier with fondant. Worked well and thank goodness for my cake lifer when was ready to stack. That top tier was heavy! ^_^

When started rolling the Bunny batch, it was not as pliable, so took 1/2 the Bunny bath and kneaded it with what was left over from my first batch. It was much more pliable and easier to roll out. so maybe I got to much sugar into the Bunny batch.

Rolled up my left overs in three layers of Saran Wrap and then placed it inside a Zip Lock for later use. Figured would give it a whirl for colored cut outs since it does stay softer than regular fondant and gumpaste does dry hard.

Loved the pliability and texture of the MMF. My shoulders were sore for two or three days after rolling out my first Wilton fondant for class package cake.

Lemon juice: did not substantially change the color it is such a small amount you don't taste the lemon. It tones down the sweetness just a bit. Really nice flavor to the fondant.

Love marshmallows, but they are so sweet, Added to the sweetness of the sugar and the Karo syrup, the lemon juice is a nice catalyst which abrings out the flavor of the added flavorings. So if you wanted an almond flavor to your fondant, the lemon juice would enhance.

Would love your feedback on your experience with this recipe ^_^

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Friday November 13, 2009 12:53 PM
View users profile

Realize that we make choices based on our subjective feelings from our experiences. BUT, after having first used commercial fondant and then using the MMF fondant, have some difficulty understanding why one would choose to use the commercial product.

PROS:
Taste: MMF wins this test hands down. It tastes good in the bowl ^_^
Pliability: MMF wins this test hands down. More pliable and easily rolls out to the desired thickness.
Transfer: Rolls up nicely on a tube roll for transfer to the cake.
Performance: Outstanding! Smooths onto the cake so nicely, and when set, remains soft. Does not dry out as much as commercial fondant. AND, it colors nicely!
Expense: Oh you can't beat the price. 3#s for approximately $4 - Approx 1/3 the price of commercial product (Two 1 1/2 Lbs pkgs. of commercial fondant = $13 to $14)

CONS:
Commercial fondant is ready to use.
MMF: The initial addition of the sugar into the Marshmallow mixture is a but messy (get the stuff all over the spoon and have always had difficulty kneading anything with a spoon).
TIME: Maybe 20 mintues start to finish to make.

Experience with commercial: Made a great cake (chocolate velvet) iced with chocolate buttercream. Yummmmy. Until I covered with commercial fondant. Gave the cake to friends ... cake was great but they hated the fondant.

Experience with MMF: Not only was the spice cake, with apple butter filling, crusting cream cheese buttercream, covered with MMF. Everyone raved about not only the cake but the fondant as well.

So......., no more commercial fondant for me. ^_^

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Saturday November 21, 2009 10:12 PM
View users profile

Thanks for the recipe Bassettscreek.
What is your first name by the way?
I'd like to try half the recipe and compare
it to my favorite. Thanks again.
Cat

Report Violation

Bottom

cattitude
Posted: Saturday November 21, 2009 11:00 PM
View users profile

Sometimes I make this when I don't have marshmellows.

Yummy Rolled Fondant Recipe

1 tbsp. gelatin = 1 small pkt.
1/4 cup cold water
9 tbsp. light corn syrup = 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp.
1 tbsp. glycerin
2 tbsp. vegetable shortening
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract or almond
8 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 – 3 drops flavor oils [optional flavoring instead of extract]

Sprinkle gelatin over water in a 2-cup heatproof glass measure and let stand for 5 minutes
Microwave at 10 second intervals until gelatin is dissolved [3-10 second intervals]
Blend in corn syrup and glycerin
Add the shortening and stir until melted
May heat additional 10 second intervals in microwave to melt shortening [4-10 second intervals]
Add vanilla or almond extract [or other choice of flavoring]
Place confectioners’ sugar in a large bowl and make a well in center
Add the gelatin mixture and stir with lightly greased wooden spoon until blended
Mix lightly with greased hand and knead in the bowl until most of the sugar is incorporated
Turn out onto a lightly greased surface and knead until smooth
If the fondant seems dry add a little shortening – lightly greasing your hands and kneading should work; if too sticky add more confectioners’ sugar
Keep fondant covered in plastic wrap and an air-tight container to prevent drying
Allow fondant to rest or cure 24 hours before using or at least over night
When ready to use – roll out onto work surface lightly greased with shortening
Lightly grease hands and knead fondant until desired consistency
There should be no drying or cracking while kneading…if so continue kneading with lightly greased hands – adding more shortening to hands as needed
Keep any unused portions of fondant triple wrapped in plastic wrap, then in Ziplock bag

Chocolate Fondant:

1-12 oz. pkg. Nestlé’s semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup light corn syrup

Melt chocolate in micro-wave at 1 minute intervals
Add corn syrup and blend completely
Pour mixture out onto waxed paper to cool to room temperature and harden - about 4-5 hours
Wrap well and store at room temperature until ready to add to Rolled Fondant Recipe
Knead chocolate mixture until soft
Knead into 2/3’s of the Rolled Fondant Recipe until smooth and even in color
Save remaining 1/3 of Rolled Fondant Recipe for other use
You can add Wilton Icing Gel Colors to make darker if needed
Roll out Chocolate Fondant to 1/8” thickness to cover a thinly buttercream iced cake
Makes about 36 oz. of Chocolate Fondant
Covers: [estimates from Wilton Yearbook]
4”x10” round
3”x12” round
4”x10-3/4”x7-7/8” oval
4”x10” heart
4”x8” square

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Tuesday November 24, 2009 12:32 PM
View users profile

Sorry Cat, my name is DeLores and thanks so much for the recipe. Gonna try it for T'giving dinner. have a great holiday ^_^

Report Violation

Bottom

doluvcakes
Posted: Sunday June 27, 2010 9:57 AM

Hi:
I am new to fondant and have a 1st birthday cake to do for a niece. I would like to do a fondant bow for the top tier and fondant daisies to place around the sides fo the cake.

I had thought of giving the store brand a try just for the accessories, but after finding your recipe, it sounds so much better. Do you think it would hold up, and how far in advance can I make the bow/daisies?

As far as the cake itself, I thought I would use buttercream mainly because I have never covered a cake in fondant.

What would be the best way to color the bow brown? I have only used the paste colors in the past. Also, would it be difficult to attach the fondant daisies to the sides of buttercream?

Thanks so much.

Report Violation

Bottom

blueeyedaries
Posted: Friday September 30, 2011 1:29 PM

I may try to make this in my kitchen aid mixer this weekend... have you ever tried it? I can't imagine it not working... especially on low speed. Can you imagine how much less mess it would make if it could all be done in one spot???!!! Email me if you have tried this troxy at live dot com. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday September 30, 2011 2:34 PM
View users profile

I have always used my Kitchen Aide mixer to make my fondant and it saves a lot of wear and tear on these old shoulders..I start with the paddle and when sugar all in I change to the dough hook and it does all the kneading necesssary..
I know this is an old thread but perhaps their a some out there with additional questions..
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Friday September 30, 2011 2:39 PM
View users profile

blueeyes, I sent you a PM as could not use the email you posted.
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: