skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Thinning Candy Melts for Dipping Truffles
Created On Wednesday October 14, 2009 12:29 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

Jcollazo
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 1:09 PM

I like Merckens. They melt so much more smoothly without any lumps. I don't like Wilton melts or make n mold because of the reasons you stated. In the past, with using wilton, I added the shortening or oil until the melts were thin enough for dipping. I hated to do that because the flavor is off. A "greasy" feeling and taste. Merckens can be found at a cake supplier. Plus, the flavor is better than other melts. BTW, to thin out the melts, I read somewhere that for every cup of melts add 2 tablespoons of shortening or oil. I hope this helps you. Good luck

Report Violation

Bottom

Recoil
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 3:55 PM

Thanks.

I did add some shortening, but probably about a teaspoon as I really didn't want it to turn greasy. So I was talking to my mom about it and she told me to try Almond Bark. I've never used it but she said it was great for dipping like that. I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 5:16 PM

I had trouble with the candy melts too. I tried mixing candy melts with that stuff you melt and dip strawberries in and it worked better. I think I added a little shortening also.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday October 14, 2009 7:36 PM

I added some canola oil to mine and it worked perfectly. Never tried shortening so I can't attest to that one.

Merkens is wonderful!

I have used almond bark too with great success!!! I use that for my molded Oreos. Works like a charm!!

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Thursday October 15, 2009 8:13 AM

Hey bunny - I'm curious - why canola oil ?

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday October 15, 2009 9:45 AM

Adding oil to chocolate thins it down. I use canola oil in my cake recipes .....so I have it on hand readily. I wouldn't see why vegetable oil wouldn't work. How much to add? Well that depends on the amount of chocolate you have already melted. I added teaspoons at a time, mixed, and then let it drizzle off the spoon. When I felt I got it right then I did my test cookie. (I was doing round snowman cookies last year. I used blue melts for the hats and white melts for the faces.) Once I got the consistency I wanted it worked like a CHARM!!!!

Shortening????? I dunno about that one. That just doesn't appeal to me.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Thursday October 15, 2009 5:32 PM

Thanks

Report Violation

Bottom

caf
Posted: Thursday October 15, 2009 6:54 PM

Where do you find almond bark?

Report Violation

Bottom

Recoil
Posted: Thursday October 15, 2009 11:25 PM

Thanks for the tips on this. I got some almond bark, and the unopened bag of white candy melts, so this weekend I am going to be trying different stuff and flavors to see what I can come up with.

The shortening didn't appeal to me either, which is why I put in such a small amount. The truffles that I did make were great, but just looked a bit off.

And I got the almond bark at Walmart. It comes in white chocolate and regular chocolate (I think). It just looks like HUGE bars of candy

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday October 16, 2009 7:22 PM

Right now in my local Super Wal-mart they have in the center aisle all of the cake and candy making for the holidays. The almond bark is right there along with the nuts, flour, pans, cake mixes etc.etc.etc.

I can also find it in both of my local grocery stores. It is relatively cheap too. I melt it in a double boiler for maximum results.

Report Violation

Bottom

DIBBERS
Posted: Sunday October 18, 2009 9:27 AM

I add paramount crystals to my candy melts.
Do a test after adding a little to get the consistancy you need.
I think candy melts taste alot better than regular chocolate and they hold
up better - they don't melt as easily as chocolate.

I use CK products brand - in reading on the internet it states to use cocoa butter to thin real chocolate -
didn't know that!

Paramount crystals are chips of partially hydrogenated palm kernel oil combined with lecithin and citric acid (as a preservative)... paramount crystals have virtually no flavor (tasteless) ...

Report Violation

Bottom

deedee4420
Posted: Sunday October 18, 2009 6:10 PM

There is a website that offers different types of candy melts as well as real chocolate. They have the traditional candy melts, dipping and enrobing melts, (which is a thinner consistency), and drizzle chocolate.

I like the ease of using the dipping melts when I need a thinner consistency you do not have to add anything to it.

You can find them at www.chocoley.com. They also have other items for candy making. The candy tastes great also.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: