skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Help! Looking for a great tasting buttercream frosting that crusts and is pure white!
Created On Monday September 21, 2009 2:03 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Monday September 21, 2009 2:03 PM
View users profile

Hi everybody!

Is there a recipe floating around for a good tasting buttercream that forms a nice crust. I would also like it to be as white as possible. I make the Wilton buttercream, but shortening is so greasy, but I guess it might be the only way to get a true white frosting. Let me know what you guys got!!! Thanks a bunch!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday September 21, 2009 2:21 PM

Have you tried Wilton's Snow White recipe?

http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Snow-White-Buttercream-Icing

Report Violation

Bottom

2sly11
Posted: Monday September 21, 2009 2:29 PM

Hi. I thought I would let you know that Wilton makes a product called White-White Icing Color. It is only a couple of dollars and is supposed to make your icing whiter. If that isn't available, you can always put a small amount, and I mean a smidgeon, of purple icing color (I just use Wilton violet) into your icing. Believe it or not, it works. Someone told me blue works as well. I haven't tried blue so use at your own risk! Either way, you can use just about any icing you want and get a white color. You can even use the Wilton Buttercream Icing recipe and substitute butter for part of the shortening. I am in the middle of a cake (had to take a break while it crusts) using a new buttercream recipe I found. I'm not done with the cake yet, but if I'm happy with the end results, I will post the recipe later. Hope this info helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Monday September 21, 2009 2:50 PM
View users profile

I just checked out the Wilton recipe...Thanks! I do have the icing whitener that Wilton sells, but for some reason...I've been afraid to use it. Not sure if I can use it in any icing or only wilton icing...I'm trying to move away from the shortening and would prefer to use butter, but as we all know, butter doesn't give you a white icing. I'll try the tip about using violet though and see what happens. I'm really just looking for a crusty icing that taste great!!! I'm not a big fan of the taste of the Wilton recipe...just seems really sweet to me.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday September 21, 2009 8:57 PM

Butter also doesn't give you a stable decorator's frosting. Many people use part shortening for the stability and part butter for the flavor.

Here are few crusting buttercream recipes to consider:
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=120152
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=109208&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=7&threadid=92577&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

Report Violation

Bottom

LavenderLily16
Posted: Tuesday September 22, 2009 7:58 AM

Just throwing this out there...you can replace some of the shortening with coconut oil. It's pure white and definitely adds a nice flavor. It's softer than butter, though, so don't go more than half coconut oil, if even that much; and allergies are a consideration since it's technically considered a tree nut...but it is an option.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Tuesday September 22, 2009 11:37 AM
View users profile

Thanks Jeanne! This forum is great! Response time is awesome and everyone is so darn eager to help! Can anyone tell me where to find popcorn salt???? I looked in two different stores last night cuz bunnywoman calls for it in her recipe. I've seen popcorn seasoning and that's it. I tried Wal-Mart and Smith's (Kroger in some areas) Is it really finer than table salt???

Report Violation

Bottom

2sly11
Posted: Tuesday September 22, 2009 2:46 PM

It is finer than regular salt. I even use it on french fries when I make them at home - it just seems to stick to them better. Anyway, look in the seasoning aisle, like where the salt is located. If you can't find it there, check by the popcorn. Just don't use the popcorn seasoning!

Did you find a good buttercream recipe that isn't too sweet? The one I tried yesterday was good. It wasn't greasy, was easy to work with, and crusted nicely. But, it was pretty sweet. I think I saw a suggestion on a thread one time for making your icing not taste so sweet. Does anyone know what it is?

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Tuesday September 22, 2009 3:13 PM

My local grocer stopped carrying popcorn salt, darn. It used to be stocked with the other salts. It is not necessary to use it. Its fine granularity makes it nice on things like popcorn and french fries because the same amount of salt is spread out over more surface and every bite gets a little salt. But as long as you mix it in well, regular table salt is fine for frosting and filling recipes.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakesbychrystal
Posted: Tuesday September 22, 2009 4:13 PM
View users profile

2sly11,
What recipe did you use?

Thanks Jeanne,
I won't go crazy looking for popcorn salt.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday September 22, 2009 5:14 PM

Popcorn salt is a very fine grain of salt. I can find it in Super Wal-Mart, Super Target, Hy-Vee, and Fareway grocery stores. The Hy-Vee and Fareway are Midwestern grocery stores. Not sure where you are from.

I can find it by the regular salts and I can find it over by the microwave popcorn.

I like it because it dissolves very nicely in my liquids and I don't have to worry about the "spotting issues."

This is just my preference and I have had great success with it. I stick with what works well for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

2sly11
Posted: Tuesday September 22, 2009 5:36 PM

This is the buttercream recipe I used yesterday. I have been experimenting with different recipes looking for the perfect recipes for buttercream, white cake, fillings, etc. I liked it this one for the most part but it was a little sweet.

Buttercream Frosting

8 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup shortening
1/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 tablespoon meringue powder
purple icing color

Beat powdered sugar, meringue powder, butter and shortening in large bowl on low speed until blended. Beat in milk and vanilla on medium speed until smooth. Mix in a touch of purple icing color to make white. Add additional milk or powdered sugar if necessary to achieve desired consistency. Makes about 6 cups.

FYI - this is a Betty Crocker recipe that I added meringue powder and icing color to. Just want to give credit where credit is due.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: