skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Cream cheese icing that can stay out
Created On Saturday August 29, 2009 7:13 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

rhondascakes
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 7:13 AM

I am making wedding cupcakes for the end of September.

Does anyone have a recipe for cream cheese icing that can stay out for a few hours?

The bride really wants this kind of icing but also wants them on display.

Thanks,
Rhonda

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 8:05 AM

Boy Rhonda.......I would have a serious chat with the bride about this one. Let her in on the food safety issues that all home made cream cheese icings must be refrigerated. Ask her if she would like a room full of guests with food poisoning??????

Buttercream would be a better option.

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 9:01 AM

Ditto. I don't even offer cream cheese for weddings for that reason.

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 9:02 AM

LorAnn makes a cheesecake flavoring that you can add to your buttercream. You can test that out to see if your bride likes the flavor.

Report Violation

Bottom

habsfan
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 9:54 AM

Rhonda...I am making carrot cake as some of the cake for my niece's wedding. I explained the cream cheese issues to her. I am making regular white cake with fillng for her cake, then having carrot sheet cakes kept in the back fridge. It makes for more work, but she gets both cakes this way. Of course, I had to explain to her that no one would know that one of her tiers was not carrot...so everyone thinks their piece is from the cake on display.

maybe you can display buttercream cupcakes and have cream cheese iced in the fridge.

Report Violation

Bottom

sharridee
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 9:11 PM

you can do this on wedding cakes, as long as the room stays below 75 they can sit out, just leave out the milk, they say thats was make the cream seperate. I have used this several times with no problems, its been brought up on here before or just google it, they say its safe.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 9:18 PM

What do you mean by "this" -- that you can do if the room is under 75 degrees? Use real cream cheese in the frosting? Real cream cheese (as opposed to flavoring) makes the frosting a perishable item. The issue isn't about cream separating, it is about food safety. Maybe I'm not following which part of the thread you are replying to ...

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 10:08 PM

The temperature inside a fridge is 41 degrees Fahrenheit (give or take 1 or 2 degrees.) You cannot warm it up 30 degrees and expect it to be fine.

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 10:33 PM

I LOVE habsfan's solution!! That's perfect!

Report Violation

Bottom

rhondascakes
Posted: Saturday August 29, 2009 11:05 PM

Sure having a second set of cupcakes in the fridge would be the solution, but I doubt she will want to pay for them.

I sent her an email explaining that she can either have cupcakes with buttercream icing on display at her reception or she can have cream cheese icing that will have to be kept refrigerated until serving time. I'll let you know what she picks.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday August 30, 2009 9:33 AM

If......IF she still won't listen to you Rhonda about food safety then I would make her sign and date a waiver holding you harmless for anyone who gets food poisoning.

If she is that set on it then let her be responsible for her own stupidity.

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Sunday August 30, 2009 11:33 AM

If she doesn't want to pay for cakes in the back, she can have vanilla. No food poisoning, no waiver, no exception. That's silly to risk wedding guests health for a stupid flavor.

My husband once ate cream cheese that had been sitting out for 3 hours - we forgot to refridgerate it , and he thought it would be fine. He was down for 2 days. Now, at a wedding with like 200 guests? NO THANKS! NOT worth it!

Report Violation

Bottom

sharridee
Posted: Sunday August 30, 2009 7:38 PM

google this.. the sugar acts like a preservative.

Report Violation

Bottom

sharridee
Posted: Sunday August 30, 2009 7:50 PM

I researched this some more and theres too many opinions, I guess to be safe don't use it. I have always used it but there's conflicting reports...so be safe not sorry. sorry I had said anything.

Report Violation

Bottom

binkbink
Posted: Sunday August 30, 2009 8:09 PM

Sharridee don't be sorry for doing research and sharing your experience. I found this post to be interesting. I know someone who makes GREAT cheesecakes--I was asking them for tips and they said they leave the cream cheese out over night and bake the next day! Would I do that? Probaly not. That person gave me their opinion no harm in her sharing!!

Report Violation

Bottom

rhondascakes
Posted: Sunday August 30, 2009 8:56 PM

Thanks for all the info, sorry if I opened a can of worms.

I'm still waiting to hear from the bride.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Sunday August 30, 2009 9:02 PM

Sharridee, sugar does indeed act as a preservative in some situations, but not in others. If you cut up strawberries and sprinkle sugar over them and let that sit on your counter a week, I doubt that you would want to eat it! But if you cook them together in the right proportion to make jam, yeah, then the sugar prevents growth of bacteria.

I am not a food scientist and I don't always understand how and why these things work. I feel I need to rely on people with more knowledge and more qualifications to set guidelines. I love cream cheese. I was really, really hoping that the sugar in frosting would act as a preservative and make cream cheese frosting safe at room temperature for long periods. I contacted Kraft foods (makers of Philadelphia cream cheese) with my question and then said, no. According to them, cream cheese frosting must be treated as perishable.

You are also right that there are lots of different opinions on this. You can find any opinion you want on the internet. But not all opinions are created equal. I try to find answers from qualified, knowledgable people. In matters of food safety that includes the FDA, the manufacturers of the product, many county extension services, and college and university web sites.

Sure, you can find people like binkbink's friend who tell you to leave the cream cheese out overnight. And probably that person has gotten away with the practice many times. But that does not really prove it is safe or that you'll be lucky if you try it. I'm guessing that you did not make up the "room under 75 degrees" guideline -- you heard it from someone. But was that someone really qualified to set that guideline?

I hope you don't feel anyone is picking on you, sharridee. That is never our purpose here. We enjoy sharing experience and opinions. But when it comes to food safety we can be pretty strong in our attempts to pass on qualified advice to help prevent unhappy consequences!

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 10:07 AM

Don't feel badly about adding your comments.

For my sister's wedding cake, I used cream cheese frosting, and I'd argued over it with her and her groom several times, but they insisted. (Actually it was key lime cream cheese.)

I, too, had read conflicting ideas about it being safe or not.

The cake was taken outside about an hour before the wedding started on a July afternoon, put under cover of a tent. It sat out all day and die-hard partiers were still eating it well into the evening.

This doesn't mean I'd advise anyone to do the same thing. It was entirely up to the couple in this case.

Report Violation

Bottom

rhondascakes
Posted: Tuesday September 01, 2009 10:08 AM

She has decided to go with buttercream icing so I don't have to spend the next 3 weeks worrying.

Thanks for all the info.

rhonda

Report Violation

Bottom

brookek228
Posted: Friday September 04, 2009 9:54 AM

What about butter that is used in buttercream icing? Is it OK to leave that out for extended periods of time, seeing as it's a dairy product as well? Just checking...

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: