skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Scaling Wilton Gum Paste Mix recipe?
Created On Thursday July 30, 2009 12:01 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

HelloGorgeous
Posted: Thursday July 30, 2009 12:01 PM

Hi All,

I'm a total gum paste newbie and bought a can of Wilton Gum Paste mix this weekend. It says on the can to mix the entire contents with 1/4 cup of water.... I don't exactly need a pound of Gum Paste, just a little bit to make a few flowers for cupcakes.

Last night I used 1/4 cup of the Gum Paste mix and two teaspoons of warm water to mix the gum paste. It seemed to work fine but when I made little daisies they dried and cracked pretty quick and looked pretty bad.

Does anyone know the correct ratio/recipe for making smaller amounts of gum paste with the mix?

I just want to make a bunch of little daisies for 1 dozen cupcakes.

Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

vthorse
Posted: Monday August 03, 2009 7:19 PM

bump!

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Tuesday August 04, 2009 7:30 PM

I don't know how to divide it up to make the quantity you're looking for but you can make a half recipe of bunnywoman's marshmallow fondant and you would have enough to make your decorations.
It's very simple to make and tastes good.

You can eat whatever's left over!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday August 05, 2009 9:42 AM

Wilton does make an already made up gumpaste in a little bag. I'd use that since you want just a little amount. I have never made up gumpaste from the mix can. I use Nic Lodge's recipe for gumpaste. That recipe link is posted here in the RECIPES forum.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Wednesday August 05, 2009 9:44 AM

Or.........do like Sweetgrandma says and just make up the small batch of MMF and add some tylose powder to it and you basically have the same thing.

Either way will work.

Good luck!

Report Violation

Bottom

cheatize
Posted: Wednesday August 05, 2009 9:39 PM

I'd love to know the answer to this, too. I need to make a fireman's helmet and I need the brim to dry very hard and keep it's shape. I tried using MMF with gum-tex but it never dried. I thought it might be the addition of corn syrup and glucose to the MMF fondant so I tried again. Nope!

Gumpaste is my last resort. I know it won't taste good, but it will be technically edible and I want the whole cake to be edible. My first try ended up in the local paper. Oh my! Everyone else loved it but it's been 3 weeks and I'm still embarrassed about that dang brim.

Anyway, have you contacted Wilton to ask them?

Report Violation

Bottom

lovegrace
Posted: Wednesday August 05, 2009 9:46 PM

The gumpaste is good for like 6 weeks after you make it. So even if you won't be using the whole thing for this cake, could you use the rest within 6 weeks? That's what I've done.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 10:11 AM

"I thought it might be the addition of corn syrup and glucose to the MMF fondant so I tried again. "

Why did you add this to your MMF? I can definitely see why it didn't dry. Just curious as to your reasoning behind this.

Report Violation

Bottom

cheatize
Posted: Thursday August 06, 2009 12:22 PM

I was having horrible issues with cracking and elephant skin. I read in several places that people added glucose or corn syrup to their fondant. Once I started adding it, the problem went away. However, it looks like it brought a new problem: not drying. While that's great when you're covering the cake in fondant, it's bad when making figures and such that you need to dry.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: