skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Question for you pros! How long does buttercream icing last?
Created On Monday June 22, 2009 3:30 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

AuntBea
Posted: Monday June 22, 2009 3:30 PM

I want to make the icing/frosting in advance and keep it in the frig until needed.

How long before it goes bad?

Thanks a bunch

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Monday June 22, 2009 4:32 PM

The Wilton chart suggests two weeks. I freeze mine if I'm going to keep it longer than that.

Report Violation

Bottom

sandsher
Posted: Thursday June 25, 2009 8:34 AM

Hey, Jeanne. How long can you keep it frozen? I always make mine right when I need it, but that adds to the frustration of having so much to do last minute. I really need to learn how to do as much ahead of time as possible. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

gammato2
Posted: Monday July 13, 2009 3:07 PM

When I have any spare time and know that I will be needing a fair amount of icing in the near future, I make up a quadruple amount of the Wilton Buttercream recipe (doctored) and put in ziplock 1 Qt. freezer bags and freeze them. When I am ready to decorate, I remove the amount I need from the freezer about 2 hours or so before I need them. Just give them a good stir before using to remove any air and they are good to go.

Report Violation

Bottom

sweetgrandma
Posted: Monday July 13, 2009 4:54 PM

Jeanne & Grammato

Does freezing it change the taste?
I sometimes put bc flowers in the freezer for a few minutes to harden enough to put on the cake. Even just that short time I notice a difference in the taste. I've never frozen bc the way you're suggesting because I thought it would also affect the taste but if it doesn't it sure would be convenient.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday July 13, 2009 8:27 PM

I think it loses its richness in flavor. So for example when I freeze my BC recipe for really long periods of time (2months or longer) I have to add some more butter extract to it to revive it back to life.

Shorter periods of time and I do not have to do that. That is just my finding anyway........

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: