skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: crusting cream cheese icing
Created On Thursday June 18, 2009 8:41 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

furball
Posted: Thursday June 18, 2009 8:41 PM
View users profile

Does anyone have a good crusting cream cheese icing that can be smoothed with a viva paper towel? I need one by sunday. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday June 18, 2009 9:16 PM

In the search box to the right of the FORUMS>Recipes header type the words cream cheese. You will see several recipes posted, and discussions about them.

Report Violation

Bottom

wegrowturkey
Posted: Friday June 19, 2009 12:38 PM

1 cup butter, softened
½ cup vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3½ to 4 pounds confectioner's sugar
½ teaspoon salt

cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extract. gradually add sugar and salt. beat on low until creamy. This is for a stiff consistency...adjust with more or less sugar. Will crust in about 15 minutes for smoothing with Viva. This is not a stark white icing...it is an off white to yellow depending on how yellow your butter is.

Report Violation

Bottom

SANDYSWEET
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 7:19 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the site. Been checking out the crusting cream cheese icing. I really hope it works!! Gotta deliver a 4 tier wedding cake on Saturday. Does it have the same consistency and butter cream icing?? I really don't want the cake to lose stability beacuse of melting or runny icing. If anyone can give me some advice it would be greatly appreciated!!

Report Violation

Bottom

wegrowturkey
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 8:35 PM

same consistency but it does have cream cheese in it and can't handle the heat. It needs refrig.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Thursday July 23, 2009 10:11 PM

SANDYSWEET, remember that you have two issues to consider. One is how the frosting looks and will hold up. The other is food safety. Frostings made with cream cheese must be considered perishable. How long will your four-tier cake be out of refrigerator before it is served?

Report Violation

Bottom

SANDYSWEET
Posted: Friday July 24, 2009 5:45 AM

Jeanne G--I need to set up by 12 noon. Wedding is at 6pm. Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot about the fact that the icing is perishable. Do you think this will be okay?? The bride is really set on cream cheese icing, is there anyway I can make this work?? If not, I think I'll go with the traditional buttercream recipe. Is there any flavoring I could mix in that would make the icing taste a little more like cream cheese?? Thanks again, hope you will answer soon. I don't have a lot if time left.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday July 24, 2009 8:57 AM

No, I don't think it will be OK. Sorry.

Cream cheese is one of my all-time favorite things to eat, but it shouldn't be left sitting out all day.

Report Violation

Bottom

SANDYSWEET
Posted: Friday July 24, 2009 3:41 PM

Jeanne G--Thanks for the advice. I was able to change the time of set up to 5pm. Just 1 hour before the wedding. Which actually will be better I think. Less chance of the cake getting knocked over!! HA!HA! Let's hope that does not happen!! Anyway, thanks again!!

Report Violation

Bottom

CJR4LSU
Posted: Friday July 24, 2009 4:38 PM

I just made my first batch of this; I haven't decorated with it yet (yes, it's in the fridge)
Jeanne G-I had to giggle and thought about you as I'm measuring out 3 1/2 pounds of confec. sugar....I don't measure out my confec. sugar either and I was having my 8 1/2 yr old daughter write down the math for me-LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

wegrowturkey
Posted: Friday July 24, 2009 9:04 PM

I don't measure out 3½ lbs. I use 4 lbs. and thin it down with a little milk and I've not had any problems. Made what I thought was a big mistake with one batch. Used vanilla/butternut flavoring instead of vanilla. Made a wonderful caramel flavored cream cheese icing that I used on a french vanilla cake filled with a traditional caramel filling.

Report Violation

Bottom

Jeanne G
Posted: Friday July 24, 2009 9:10 PM

Oh gosh. No way would I measure that powdered sugar! 3.5 to 4 pounds is 1.75 to 2 bags. I'd leave about 1/4 of one bag out (by eyeballing it, not measuring) and add it in gradually if I needed it.

Report Violation

Bottom

CJR4LSU
Posted: Friday July 24, 2009 10:19 PM

Well, I won't measure it out again , BUT I did decorate the cake and loved how the icing came out! It tastes yummy too!

Report Violation

Bottom

N8sMom96
Posted: Sunday August 16, 2009 7:56 PM

wegrowturkey thank you for the wonderful recipe. I halved everything, because I didn't need that much. I also added 3 tbsp of cold milk to get it to thin consistency. It is an awesome recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Report Violation

Bottom

Mom 2_6
Posted: Wednesday October 28, 2009 10:04 PM

We grow turkey,

I am looking for a cream cheese icing that is kind of fluffy. Every time I make one, it seems so heavy.
I know it is hard to decorate with cc icing so I am looking for something I can atleast pipe a decent cake with. Do you think this is it or should I keep looking? How big of a cake will this recipe cover?

Report Violation

Bottom

wegrowturkey
Posted: Wednesday October 28, 2009 11:41 PM

it pipes for me just fine. I've not tried it with roses or any other flowers, but borders are just fine. I can't tell you how much cake it covers. One turn makes a lot of icing. I always have it leftover...and it freezes well. The best mistake I've ever made was flavoring it with vanilla butternut instead of just vanilla. Wonderful! Lovely caramel flavor. Try it, you won't be sorry.

Report Violation

Bottom

wegrowturkey
Posted: Wednesday October 28, 2009 11:43 PM

oh...and it crusts great for the Viva towel treatment. Just remember to refrigerate it, it is cream cheese.

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Monday November 02, 2009 10:38 AM
View users profile

Basically, this is the same recipe I use, doubled. Difference is the salt. I use 1/2 teaspoon per 2 Lb bag of powdered sugar.

Stiffer consistency needed for roses. Otherwise it is fantastic recipe. I thin with Karo syrup and drop or two of milk (use milk sparingly). If you thin with milk, make sure it is whole milk and use drops or start with 1/4 teaspoon per cup. A little milk goes a loooooong way with this icing.

Like Wegrow, have enjyed great success with this icing. Viva Method works great with this recipe.

Wilton's Cream Cheese Recipe does not use vegetable shortening and only 1 Lb of sugar with 1/2 cup butter and 8 ozs of Cream Cheese. OK for filling but not substantial enough for decorating.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakeace
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 11:08 AM

Does this icing color well using Wilton gel colors?

Does anyone have a photo of their cake using this recipe for cream cheese icing.

Thanks.

Report Violation

Bottom

bassettscreek
Posted: Wednesday November 11, 2009 11:46 AM
View users profile

Cakeace, this is one of my absolute favorite recipes and really like both the taste and performance. DH does not care for regular buttercream but loves this.

Am attaching a picture of one of my cakes using the Crusting Creamcheese Buttercream ... if you look closely, you'll see where I cracked the icing on this cake because my cake board was insufficient for the weight of the cake.

This cake was the first cake iced completely with this Crusting Creamcheese Buttercream ... from crumb coat to final icing. thined with Karo for crumb coat.

After crumb coating, I slid my hands under the cake baord to move the cake. Duh, the cake needed three boards taped together; had only covered one. Quickly clid another board under the cake, but had already cracked the crumb coat.

The crumb coat crusted nicely in short order. After letting the cake sit awhile, came back and iced with nice layer of icing .. it crusted nicely. Again, in moving the cake from my turntable to flat surface, I cracked the cake. The cake board was too flimsy for the weight of the cake.

I did not thin this icing to pipe the borders.

Cake and borders iced with Crusting Creamcheese Buttercream
Writing, leaves and deco piping is RI
Flower Decos: Callas and roses are gumpaste.
White Easter Lillies are RI flowers

I posted this Crusting Creamcheese Buttercream Recipe on another thread.

Crusting Creamcheese Buttercream - 2 Pound Bag; Recipe may easily be doubled or halved.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of shortening
1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter @ room temp
1 8oz bar cream cheese @ room temp
1 tblsp white vanilla extract
2 lbs shifted powder sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Directions:

Cream together shortening, butter, and cream cheese until nice and smooth. Add vanilla into mixture and combine. Sift together sugar and salt, and slowly add to shortening, butter & cheese mixture. Make sure that all sugar is incorporated. Enjoy!

team_spirit_cake_11.jpg team_spirit_cake_11.jpg  (39 KB)

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: