skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: How much filling in the cake?
Created On Wednesday June 10, 2009 4:44 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

snapple856
Posted: Wednesday June 10, 2009 4:44 PM

Hi,

How much filling do you put in a 12inch cake, a 10 inch cake and an 8 inch cake??? I am going to use buttercream

Report Violation

Bottom

cakes06
Posted: Friday June 12, 2009 1:00 AM
View users profile

I always spread a thin layer of buttercream on the lower layer first, then pipe a stiff frosting damn around the edges of the cakes, about 1/2" in from the edge, then spread on the filling. I get commercial fillings that come in those 2lb plastic sleeves so after opening, I squeeze it into a container and just spoon out and spread it on. I can't give you a measurement. Just eyeball it but don't go over the frosting dam.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Friday June 12, 2009 7:02 AM

I'm with cakes on this - ther's not a specific measurement as it depends on how much you, or your customer want in their cake

Report Violation

Bottom

furball
Posted: Thursday June 18, 2009 9:02 PM
View users profile

I can't remember where I got this chart from, but I also took everyone's advice and wrote down the amount of filling I used after I made the cake. Here is what I've been going by. A 8 inch uses 3/4 cup filling, 10 inch usese 1 1/4 cup filling, a 12 inch uses 1 3/4 cup filling. Sometimes I use a little bit more because I like alot of filling. I make the icing dam a little bit higher. Hope this helps!

Report Violation

Bottom

tinaw
Posted: Tuesday June 30, 2009 8:04 AM

snapple856

i use a icecream scoop to measure and make sure all my cakes have the same amount of icing in them. (it also helps with food control and how much icing to make). there the icecream scoops that have the little arm on the inside that swing and push the icecream out. well inside(normally) are numbers on the arm, telling u the size of the scoop. (normally) the smaller the number the bigger the scoop. i use a size 4 scoop. i use 4 scooops for a 10" cake. but in this ideal u can us any size scoop u want. normally u want a 1/8-1/4 in. of iceing in the center depending on hte sweens of ur cake. the scoops r great to for measuering batter for cupcakes. hope this helps

Report Violation

Bottom

tinaw
Posted: Tuesday June 30, 2009 8:34 AM

side note but in the end its all about your taste and the customers taste

Report Violation

Bottom

vogt51
Posted: Friday February 01, 2013 11:59 AM

I realize this thread was started ages ago, but here is how I do it:

I first decide how thick I want my filling to be. This is really completely up to the person ordering or making the cake. Your icing wall needs to be higher than the filling so the filling doesn't leak out. So take your icing tips and measure how big they are across the opening.

Example: If you want the filling to be 3/8" thick, you need to use tip 808 (5/8") or bigger for your wall.

Next, get the pan out that you will be using for your cake, a ruler, a pitcher of water and a large measuring cup.

Stand the ruler on end in your cake pan, then pour the water into the pan until it comes up to 3/8" on the ruler. Pour the water from the pan into a measuring cup. That's how much filing you will need to have it 3/8" thick for that size cake.

So as long as you know how thick (high) you want your filling to be, you can figure up how much filling you will need to make for each layer of filling you use.

I'm sure there is an easier way to figure this out mathmatically, but my mind refuses to be mathmatically inclined. LOL

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Friday February 01, 2013 12:10 PM
View users profile

I consult this great chart posted by bunnywoman for filling amounts. Of course you can also use more or less, but this works for me.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: