skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Alice's Modified Royal
lovegrace 10/29/2009 12:22 PM
Hey, I'm glad this was bumped up, I hadn't seen it before. So, the theory of "one speck of grease will ruin RI" is false, huh? I thought so. Thanks!
bunnywoman 10/29/2009 2:42 PM
This is a "modified" royal. This is NOT actually royal-royal icing. KWIM?
bunnywoman 10/29/2009 2:49 PM
CUPCAKEDIVA: I use Melissa's Sugar Cookie recipe all of the time for cookie baskets and cookie bouquets. It works wonderfully!!!

JAKECORR: I use water. There is a fine line as to how much water to add too. It all depends on how much initially you are trying to thin down. If you add too much water, the mixture will look separated. Be aware of this. You can also add a little bit of corn syrup.....not much....to thin it down too. If you go overboard with that then it gets really, REALLY sweet tasting.

Best bet here is to just add a little bit, blend well, see what you get, and add a touch more if need be. ADD SLOW!

SUSAN: I would not recommend this recipe for your task at hand.
lovegrace 10/29/2009 4:57 PM
Can you make all the flowers with this modified RI that you can with Wilton's RI?
bunnywoman 10/29/2009 6:35 PM
No you can't.
lovegrace 10/29/2009 6:48 PM
Why not? You can pretty much do all the flowers with a stiff BC (they won't hold the shape of the flower former, but I'll give that up to actually be able to eat the flower). What's the difference besides a little more meringue powder?
CupcakeDiva 10/29/2009 6:59 PM
Bunnywoman, so glad to hear that you use Mel's sugar cookie recipe for bouquets. how thick do you make the cookies and do you insert a stick or place the stick on the back of the cookie? I've never made a boquet but really wanting too.

Also, with the Alice's RI, I understand that you will have 2 seperate batches, is that right? One that you outline the cookie with that is a little thicker and one that you fill in with that is a little thinner? Can you clarify this and also what types of consistency we are talking about? I just don't want to have icing running all over the place! HA!

Thanks so much for all the advise you give! And to the others too! This forum is the BEST!
bunnywoman 10/31/2009 6:55 PM
LOVEGRACE: That is correct. You can make any flower out of buttercream as you can out of actual royal icing. (Or vice versa) That is do-able. I have tried to make a rose out of the modified royal and it fell over. It would not hold its petal shape. Have I tried it since that attempt? No. Maybe I will give it another shot in the future adding way more powdered sugar to it to see if it will hold up.

CUPCAKEDIVA: I use the rolling pin rings so that I get an even thickness for all of my cookies. They are rolled to 1/2" thickness. I place the stick inside of the cookie BEFORE baking. I know I can't get as many cookies on one sheet, but that is ok with me. You can place them on the back of the cookie too after they have already baked. What you do there is dip your cookie in some melted chocolate and then lay it on the back of the cookie. Let that dry completely before attempting to decorate the front.

Depending on exactly how many cookies I need to make will depend on if I need to make separate batches. Typically, I will make just one double batch up all at once. I use a little less water initially so that my icing is stiffer. So just for an example for you.......say I want to make some pumpkin cookies for Halloween. I will make up a double batch of MRI and add orange food coloring to this. I will scoop out some of the icing and outline all of the cookies all at once. This will set up nicely. If I have any leftover icing in the bag I will squeeze it back out into my bowl and give it a stir with a spoon. I will then add either a touch of water or a little corn syrup to this leftover icing to thin it out. I stir it up just with a spoon. I drop it off of the spoon back into the bowl and when the icing will flatten out and disappear it is ready to flood. I use the chocolate bottles for the flooding icing. They work beautifully!!!!!!!!! My kids love to decorate cookies like that!!!!

Hope that helps,
Bunnywoman
relentrio 06/11/2010 7:32 PM
Newbie here...
Have a few questions about MRI?? what is the difference between MRI and RI?? Also what is flooding??
I used MRI and Melissas cookies and they turned out wonderful!
Thanks!
bunnywoman 06/11/2010 8:22 PM
RI is used for making decorations like flowers, plaques, cookies, and the like. It will dry rock hard when allowed to dry for a period of a few days. Wilton's RI has a base of meringue powder, water based flavorings, water, and powdered sugar. This icing accepts coloring very well. Oils or fats break down RI. I use disposable decorating bags for this as they are grease-free. Drops of water will thin down RI. You also beat it preferably with a stand mixer and the paddle attachment for about 9 minutes roughly until the glossy sheen has turned to a matte finish.

MRI is used for cookies IMO. You can outline the cookies with a thickened MRI and then thin it down for flooding the cookies. It dries hard enough on the outer exterior of the icing all the while keeping the underside soft. This accepts coloring very well. MRI has a base of butter, meringue powder, water, and flavorings of choice. You thin this down with water for flooding. I have no rhyme or reason to how I make this. I just dump it all in my bowl and beat with the paddle attachment. The taste of this is very good.

The term "flooding" is when you thin down the icing enough so that when placed on the cookie the icing will flood to the outlines. It will have a nice smooth finish.

Hope this answers your questions,
Bunnywoman
relentrio 06/11/2010 8:58 PM
Thanks so much BW! What is IMO??
Your icing is incredible too by the way!!
Thanks for responding! =)
relentrio 06/11/2010 9:03 PM
Also BW ...I have some left over MRI can I freeze it?? and for how long??
How fresh do baked cookies stay before freezing??
mickie11j 06/12/2010 10:53 AM
Do the colors bleed after a few days on either the RI or MRI? Or is it stable after it dries? And after it dries, I know that the RI is very hard, but what about the MRI...is it a bit softer for eating?
What kind of color medium do you recommend...powder, gel paste, liquid?

Thanks in advance for your help.

mickie11j
bunnywoman 06/13/2010 12:57 PM
RELENTRIO: IMO stands for...."in my opinion." I have never actually frozen it, but I would see why not. Give it a shot and see how it goes. As far as cookie freshness goes I have never had a cookie stay completely "fresh" 5 days out. After 3 days they get a different taste and/or texture to them. I say 4 days MAX.

MICKIE11j: I use the gel paste or Chefmaster or Americolors liquid colors. MRI dries hard on the outsdie but stays soft on the underside. It is more palatable in my opinion.
CupcakeDiva 09/04/2010 12:34 PM
Hi all! It's been a while since I've made this icing and I have a question. I am needing to do a few different colors, one of which is black. Any other type of icing I make (BC, MMF, etc) I always have a heck of a time with the color black. Any suggestions for Alice's MRI in regards to getting it black? Any specific brand of color you use or things you do to the icing to get it solid black (not greenish or seperating in color)?

Thanks so much!!
bunnywoman 09/04/2010 7:12 PM
I add a tad bit of cocoa powder to it and then Chefmaster Coal Black color. I get a jet black color. I do not really measure the cocoa powder either. I just dump in a little bit. I know. My bad.
cakecrazy25 12/14/2010 3:01 PM
If I make this in advance, can I feeze it in a baggie or can I decorate the cookies and then freeze the decorated cookies?

Thanks so much,
cc25
bunnywoman 12/14/2010 3:20 PM
I have never actually frozen the AMRI as is. I never have any leftover to freeze.

I have frozen the cookies with this on them. You have to place wax paper in between the layers or the cookies will stick to one another when they thaw out.
cakecrazy25 12/14/2010 4:14 PM
Thanks so much bunny!!
bunnywoman 12/15/2010 4:08 PM