skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $60! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Topic: Difference between Fondant and Gum Paste
CindyD 08/06/2008 8:31 AM
Okay, this is probably a dumb question, but what is the difference between Fondant
and Gum Paste? I understand the fondant is placed on top of a cake that has the crumb
frosting on. But can you make flowers etc. out of fondant? Or only Gum Paste?
and Why?

Thanks for your help clearing up my question!!
mmumsie 08/06/2008 4:00 PM
Fondant (and there are several kinds) for lack of a better term is sugar dough. It remains soft for quite a while, but will harden over time, though it never gets bone hard. It can be used to make some decorations and is great as a cake covering.

Gumpaste recipes vary but typically involve gum tragacanth, making it not as sturdy as pastillage. Because of the added gum, the dough is very elastic and soft, making it able to be rolled out thinner and worked with longer than pastillage. Both will hold up fairly well in humidity, but gum paste will soften slightly, as it will if it touches buttercream (because of its fat content) or is refrigerated.

I prefer to make my flowers out of gum paste because they harden. But, a 50/50 blend of the two products will hold up nicely.
CindyD 08/07/2008 8:54 AM
Ah, that answers some of the issues with the fondant! I'm new in that whole area of fondant and gum paste.
Actually I have a 14" heart cake to do for this Saturday with roses and leaves that totally cover the base of the
heart. I successfully made the roses last Sunday with your suggestions for the royal icing and the extra whipping
certainly helped. But then came the large size leaves that I didn't feel comfortable with so I mixed up a can of
gum paste, tinted it and made the leaves. They look relatively like leaves. I used a cutter then pressed a rose
leaf design on the top and they are drying.

When I place those on the cake plate with the one end into the buttercream for stability, will is suck up lots of grease and look nasty? Only 1/2 of the leaf should end up being visable, but some leaves are supposed to be
up near the cake.

The cake also has "S" or scrolls all over. Have been practicing some, but the sides of the cake are making me nervous. I do have a tilting turntable.

Thank you for all of your help and support. I love this site!