skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Bunnywoman - Buttercream/Decorator Icing Recipe
Created On Monday March 09, 2009 10:01 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

gamergates
Posted: Thursday February 14, 2008 11:04 AM

Bunnywoman, You had said in a reply to me that you had a butter cream icing recipe somewhere on the forums. I can't find it. I found CharismaticCake, hpjmom and pterrell's recipes but not yours. Do you mind pointing me in the right direction?

thanks in advance,

Deb in Austin

Report Violation

Bottom

gi-gi
Posted: Friday February 15, 2008 10:22 AM

I would also love your recipe bunnywoman...I think you are just great...Thank you in advance!!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday February 15, 2008 10:24 AM

Heck I can't find it!!!!! I know it is on here about 3 or 4 times. I am just gonna post it again here for you.

BUTTERCREAM ICING

1 cup Crisco shortening
1 cup butter (can use salted or unsalted)- softened
1/3 cup luke warm water
1 tsp popcorn salt
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp butter extract
2 lb. bag of powder sugar

**** I recommend using a stand-up mixer (Kitchen Aid) for this.****

Cream together the butter and Crisco until nice and fluffy. (I use speed 6 for this on my KA.)

Measure out the luke warm water in a standard measuring cup and dissolve the popcorn salt in this water.
I then add the flavorings to the cup. Stir it up well with a spoon.
Turn your mixer speed to the lowest possible setting and add in the powdered sugar slowly. Alternate back and forth
with the water mixture. Keep the mixer on low until all liquid and powdered sugar are combined.
Once combined then turn the mixer up a notch and mix well. Approximately 2-3 minutes.

Heavy cream or milk can be substituted for the water too. This will make for a smoother, creamier frosting. Refrigerate your
cake if you use these.

You can mix and match flavorings in my recipe. I have done all sorts of different combinations. I love Lorann
Flavorings in this too!!!!! They have over 30+ different flavors!!!!!

This will make what I call between thin to medium consistency icing. I can frost my cakes just fine with this
and do simple borders as well.

To make roses: If I have to make a ton of roses (and only roses) I use the same recipe above, BUT I half everything. Meaning, ½ cup of shortening, ½ cup butter
etc. etc. etc. Instead of 1/3 cup water……. I add ¼ cup water. This will give you a stiffer icing, but not so stiff it will make your hand feel like it is gonna fall off!!!!

*****NOTE******
Everyone’s hand grip is different so if you feel this is still too stiff for you add and additional tsp(s) of water and mix again. It just needs to be stiff enough to hold the petal shape, but yet flow decently out of the tip. Play with it. See what works for your liking.

This icing gets rave reviews by my customers, friends, and family.

Enjoy,
Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

sandyyydandy
Posted: Friday February 15, 2008 3:09 PM

Bunnywoman, W

Would you recommend using all crisco instead of 1/2 crisco 1/2 butter for this recipe? I'm just worried about the color and I need a pure white frosting. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

gi-gi
Posted: Friday February 15, 2008 3:15 PM

Thank you so much bunnywoman...you truly are very generous with your recipes and advice...thank you ...I wish that you were my instructor!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

katie-kakes
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 11:25 AM

dear bunnywoman, I am just starting the wilton class and would like to ask about using popcorn salt in the buttercream icing? My instructor said that one of the other instructors was using it but did not why. I was wondering why popcorn salt and not regular salt? thank -you for your time and answer. katie-kakes

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 12:08 PM

Come on down Gi-GI!!!!!!!! I'll take ya in my class.

SANDYYYDANDY: You certainly can. It won't effect it at all. It will just produce the "white-white" frosting.

Oh one other thing ladies..................

I have done recently with a suggestion of my dear friend Sharon "Sugarshack" to replace the liquid with coffee creamer. Let me explain so as not to have any confusion.

What I do is go equal ratios. So for example: if I need 1/3 cup liquid........I take 1/3 cup water and nuke it in the microwave till it boils. Then to that boiling water I add 1/3 cup powdered (dry) coffee creamer. Blend with a spoon to dissolve it completely. I use this for a "KICKED up NOTCH" on my icing. Since Sugarshack told me this I am forever in her debt. It really makes for a nice smooth, creamy icing. I like to use the "extra creamy" coffee creamer too. Try it and see what you think.

I purchased her Buttercream DVD and she has a fondant DVD coming out. Check it out at: www.sugarEDproductions.com She is awesome!!!!!!

****NOTE****
Sugarshacks icing is different than mine. She uses all high ratio shortening in her recipe and swears by it.

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday February 18, 2008 4:14 PM

KATIE-KAKES: The popcorn salt is a finer grain of salt. Regular table salt has a coarser grain to it therefore it doesn't like to dissolve as well in the liquid. Never just dump in salt in the mixing bowl. Always dissolve it first before adding it in. I have found also that when I was using just the regular table salt if I colored my icing it would make it all spotty. Meaning if I made black icing it would get purple spots or blue spots all dotted throughout. I switched to the popcorn salt and all my troubles were over.

Please share this info with your instructor.

Good Luck in class!
Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

gi-gi
Posted: Tuesday February 19, 2008 11:08 AM

Thank you bunnywoman the problem is that I live in Barrie Ontario Canada! Thank you for the tip on the coffee creamer I am going to try it on my next cake!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Tuesday February 19, 2008 4:00 PM

Good Luck! Let me know if I can help you further.

Hugs,
Bunny

Report Violation

Bottom

Jacknmollymom
Posted: Friday February 29, 2008 11:46 AM

Bunnywoman where do you teach? I keep hearing your praise and would love to learn under your wing. I have completed course 1 and 2. Also, I am looking for other good frosting recipes. My famly has grown tired of the same ol thing... THANK YOU!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Sunday March 02, 2008 8:33 PM

I am in Iowa right out in the middle of no where! HA! HA!

Report Violation

Bottom

CooleyCakes
Posted: Monday December 15, 2008 10:48 AM

Bunnywoman,
Hey! So I made the buttercream icing this weekend ... AMAZING!! WOW!! Hahah ... it was awesome. I have almost half the icing left and I was wondering how long it lasts. I put it in a tupperware and put it in the fridge. Is that OK? How long will it last? If I want to use it next weekend, how should I prepare it to use? Any info would be great. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Monday December 15, 2008 4:20 PM

I usually put it in a tupperware container and then I put a piece of saran wrap and then seal the lid on top. Put it in the frig. I have used it a month out. It will/can lose some of its butter flavor to it. So what I do is take it out of the frig and set it on the counter for it to come to room temperature. Once it is softened (so at least you can stir it with a spoon or spatula) then I add another 1 tsp butter extract to it and whip it back and forth with a spatula/spoon OR you can even use your mixer again.

Give it a taste first before adding anymore extract to it. I like the really pungent flavors so I taste it and if it lost some of its flavor then I add a little more to bring it back to life.

Good luck,
Bunnywoman

Report Violation

Bottom

Dreamt Illusions
Posted: Thursday January 15, 2009 3:26 PM

Thank you so much for this recipe! A friend and I are getting together to attempt some MMF cakes today. She made the wilton recipe and wasn't too impressed. I wasn't even half way through your recipe and it smelled amazing! This is the first time I have made buttercream and it is the best I've ever had!

I am using it under MMF. For future reference if I wanted a whiter buttercream would I just use more shortening? Will it change the flavor? Would I adjust the flavoring to add more butter extract if I was using less butter?

Right now the color is not an issue...Just curious for down the road.

Many many thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday January 16, 2009 8:07 AM

To achieve an all-white icing you need to use all shortening. Just omit the butter and use the same amount of shortening in its place. I think it tastes different. I like the richness of the butter taste so that is why I do the half and half combo. There is nothing wrong with using all shortening. I, then in turn, would add another tsp more butter extract to give it a boost in flavor.

Report Violation

Bottom

Renescakes
Posted: Friday January 16, 2009 8:11 AM

popcorn salt? lol How interesting, curious as to why it has to be a popcorn salt

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday January 16, 2009 2:44 PM

The white popcorn salt is a finer grain of salt which dissolves nicely in the warm liquid. That is why I use it.

Report Violation

Bottom

kathyandtim@suddenlink.net
Posted: Friday January 16, 2009 2:44 PM

bunnywoman, was just wondering if you had a "whippy" icing recipe for wedding cakes or any ideas.... My niece wants a wedding cake with "whippy" icing???????

Report Violation

Bottom

KatieLG
Posted: Tuesday January 20, 2009 4:36 PM

Bunnywoman,

One of your earlier posts suggested the substitution of coffee whitener. That would be Coffeemate right? I was wondering, have you ever tried that substitution with one of the flavoured whiteners such as hazelnut or the irish cream?

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Recipes < REFRESH >
Navigation: