skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Rice Krispie Treats (RKT) for shaping - buy or make?
Created On Tuesday September 25, 2012 12:30 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

dietcokenoice
Posted: Tuesday September 25, 2012 12:30 PM

I see many here use RKT for making shapes for your cakes and was wondering if you make your own or do you buy them? A while back I remember seeing a big sheet of them that you could buy, but haven't seen them like that in a long time.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Tuesday September 25, 2012 3:14 PM
View users profile

I've bought them but I think I would be smarter to make them. By the time you get them all squished up you've used up a whole box and it might not be enough.

4 cups (1 lb bag) of rice krispie or similar cereal
5 cups (16 oz bag) of mini marshmallows

Instructions
Put the marshmallows in a saucepan to melt over low heat. Keep stirring until the marshmallows are melted and shapeless.
Add the cereal.
Stir quickly to make sure all the cereal gets covered in marshmallow.

You can use the butter that is in the recipe on the box (3Tbsp) but the treats tend to be soft if you do. For sculpting you'll have better results if you omit the butter.

Report Violation

Bottom

scubabaker
Posted: Tuesday September 25, 2012 7:07 PM
View users profile

If I was making something large, I would definitely make my own. The biggest RKT thing I've made so far was a life-size graduation cap, and it took not quite all of a 16 piece box of premade I got cheap at Walmart. The only place I've seen the large, premade RKT sheets is at my local cake supply store (also an internet store). As I recall, it is pretty pricey...about $15 for a 11x15" sheet.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: