skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Reduced size cake mixes..Final thoughts?
Created On Sunday September 16, 2012 3:45 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

atomicladie
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 3:45 PM

What has everyone finally decided on the reduced size cake mixes? Is anyone using them as they are, adding more of same mix to make up for old size, or just adding a basic extender to it? Really curious to know if anyone out there really thinks it still makes the same size cake.

Report Violation

Bottom

saradars
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 5:48 PM

I'm still baking through my huge stash and buying up any large sizes I come across (which does happen) but I plan on (begrudgingly) following The Cake Mix Doctor's advice of adding 6 TBSP flour to all mixes to bulk it back up to the 18.25oz. size.

Report Violation

Bottom

atomicladie
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 6:03 PM

So just six tablespoons of flour and nothing else, that is all we need to do?

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 11:01 PM
View users profile

I have been adding the extra dry mixture from another box to make it weigh the 18.5
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

Teresa0401
Posted: Monday September 17, 2012 2:49 PM

I have been adding 1/3 cup out of another box. Mostly I open a white and use 1/3 white added to what ever flavor I am making.

Report Violation

Bottom

atomicladie
Posted: Monday September 17, 2012 5:47 PM

When you do this and add extra mix do you use the other old measurements of liquids and eggs or the ones listed on the smaller box?

Report Violation

Bottom

Teresa0401
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 3:35 PM

I follow the old measurements recipe that calls for 18.5 oz mix.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 12:02 AM

I'm also working thru my old 18.25 oz. packages. IF USING THE “NEW “ 16.5 OZ. SMALLER MIXES:
Add to smaller (16.5 oz.) cake mix in addition to other ingredients recommended in Cake Mix Doctor recipes:

1/2 cup flour
1/8 to 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

(saradars~~I am curious about the 6 TBSP of flour as recommended by the Cake Mix Doctor. I wrote her in February 2012 and got a reply with different advice. Did she post this on her site?)

Here's what I got when I sent her an email :

"Thanks for your email. It is really distressing that food companies think they can keep reducing the size of products. For the past few years the mixes have lacked the structure, and I have advised cooks to add a little flour to the dry cake mix to ensure the cake will have structure and not sink while cooling.
I, too, would rather pay a little more and keep things consistent.
Let's let the dust settle, and I will be interested to try my recipes with the smaller DH mixes.
In the meantime, it's a good idea to add a little flour (up to 1/2 cup), a little sugar, if desired, and a half teaspoon of baking powder to the smaller cake mix before adding other ingredients.
Or, check out my cake mixes on my website - www.cakemixdoctor.com - clicking on Anne's cake mix. They are a little larger than the conventional cake mix.

Thanks for your interest, and let's keep in touch!, Anne"

------------------

I've also tried the 3 ounces added from a second box. Both work fine for me so far.

Report Violation

Bottom

saradars
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 5:29 PM

@WhoKnew?-

It's a solution on DH site and other places online. I'm still working through my 18.5 boxes...so I haven't tried it yet.

Report Violation

Bottom

trecur
Posted: Thursday September 20, 2012 9:30 AM
View users profile

I always "extend" my mix (thanks to you guys) so are you saying to add extra ingredients in addition to the "extender" recipe? That would be about 1 & 1/2 cups of flour plus more of the other stuff? That seems like a lot of extra stuff just to get a full cake. Won't the additional ingredients change the flavor of the mix? I realize that most of the people that have been baking a while or a lot use white mix but I buy the flavors. Any opinions on this?

Report Violation

Bottom

another cake lady
Posted: Tuesday September 25, 2012 8:19 PM

In response to a letter I sent regarding the newly reformulated cake mixes that were introduced in July, the Smuckers® company, owners of Pillsbury®, has responded and invited me to meet with their marketing and research and development teams in October. While the company knew that many bakeries buy their wholesale bulk cake mix for volume production work, they were surprised to learn that so many small home businesses and bakeries used the 18.25 oz. boxed cake mixes for their cakes. They assumed that grocery store sales reflected household consumers, and the outpouring of unhappy responses they received from business owners regarding the new product was unexpected. In an effort to give them a more accurate picture of how we use cake mixes in our cake decorating businesses, I’d appreciate your feedback in the following questionnaire if you’d like to participate. Feel free to sign your name or reply anonymously, and thanks so much for your response!
Sincerely, Dianne Rockwell
dianne.rockwell@comcast.net

I've invited you to fill out the form Cake Mix Survey. To fill it out, visit:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?fromEmail=true&formkey=dEJ2Z3FSbDhTLVZUZFYwQXFpV29qNXc6MQ

Report Violation

Bottom

Baker_Rose
Posted: Monday October 08, 2012 9:52 AM

I simply weigh my cake mix to the old weight and use the old amount of oil/eggs/water.

They bake the same as they did back then, but they cost more. It would have been a whole lot easier if the company just kept things as is and changed the price.

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Tuesday October 09, 2012 2:15 PM
View users profile

So true...I just scale out the amount of mix I need for my extender recipe and be done with it.
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

Kattykake
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 12:01 PM

I've been curious about the cake mix queries. Do most decorators use boxed cake mixes? Which is preferred? Betty Crocker? Duncan Hines? Other? Is it the convenience or quality over scratch cakes?

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Monday October 22, 2012 12:35 PM
View users profile

Each baker has his/her own preference. What they grew up with, what their local markets sell, what they think tastes/performs better.

As far as scratch vs box, some folks are strictly scratch, others are strictly box, and still others do both.

After you have experimented to see what works best for you, you can then decide what you want to do. Plus, you've got to take into consideration what your target market wants (if you are selling your cakes). If you are doing it just for family, then what do they prefer?

There are no right or wrong answers to your questions. Just each individual's preferences.

Report Violation

Bottom

Kattykake
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 3:45 PM

Good to know. Thanks. Just went to Pathmark (in NJ) that sells America's Choice brand products (I think A&P stores do as well.) Got boxes of 18.25 oz cake mixes for less than $1.00 per box, so I got 2 Red Velvet, 2 chocolate and 2 yellow. Hoping it's really brand name just repackaged as a store brand. Fingers crossed!

Report Violation

Bottom

Kattykake
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 3:47 PM

Do you get warehouse size amounts of mix, or just add some from another box to get up to 18.25 oz? GOSH I LOVE THIS FORUM! Learn so much!

Report Violation

Bottom

atomicladie
Posted: Wednesday October 24, 2012 5:01 PM

From what I understand they add from another mix to make it 18.25 ozs. They then add the old measurements of water, eggs, and oil that came for the old 18.25 oz boxes. I have not had to try it yet. Some also just add a standard extender for each mix. Not sure of the measurements because I do not have it at my fingertips at the moment.

Report Violation

Bottom

nevadagrandmother
Posted: Friday January 18, 2013 5:04 PM

Wow, I didn't pay attention to the new size, I just came from the store and was upset because the price of one cake mix that used to be $1 to $1.25 is now $3 each. C&H powered sugar is now $3 each also.

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Friday January 18, 2013 5:34 PM
View users profile

If you have a Sam's Club nearby that you can buy your C&H Pure Cane powdered sugar at, I'd definitely recommend going there. Their 4# bags have come down to $3.14. When I first got into caking in 2011, they were $3.74 for 4#.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: