skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Shopping Spree! What is essential and what is fun?
Created On Sunday September 16, 2012 12:13 PM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

nonni53
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 12:13 PM
View users profile

I have 5 half price coupons and 4 40% off coupons for JoAnn's this week. My question is what would you get with this? Pans? Mats? Molds ( wilton)? Supplies (gumpaste, debts, sprinkles, pearls, etc.)? What have you found to be invaluable and what wasn't.

These coupons are burning a hole in my pocket!!

Report Violation

Bottom

gmoakes01
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 12:52 PM
View users profile

My JoAnn's has downsized so there's not much left there that I really need. If you still need some basic pans, I'd used 50% off coupons for those. You can always stock up on fondant, gumpaste, fancy foil to cover boards, cake boards, flavors and colors. I have coupons, too but will buy yarn for a shrug I'm making.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 3:53 PM
View users profile

I agree, go for pans. Get two of whatever size you buy (not character pans, of course) so you can bake both layers at once. Then you can get whatever else you have on your list. Except the debts. Don't bother with that one, lol!

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Sunday September 16, 2012 4:14 PM

I don't care for the Wilton pans, I prefer Magic Line pans because I get a straighter edge with them..just my preference. With a 50% off coupon I would probably get a box of 100 disposable icing bags. I prefer the featherweight bags (that's a good idea too), but I like having the disposable on hand for when I'm in a hurry. If you will be, or already are, using fondant, you may want to try out some of the molds. I've gotten some of the dust, pearls, sprinkles, cutters, spatulas, tips, cake lifter (love that), scraper, or maybe get a class kit if you plan to take a class. So many options!!!! At Joanns you can use the coupons for the Wilton books too.

Report Violation

Bottom

tmana
Posted: Monday September 17, 2012 1:42 PM

Diet Coke: the sloping edge is why I held off on the Wilton 9" x 13". Duff was on sale at Michaels for 20% off last week, but no additional couponing. So I'm going to get it with this week's 40% coupon, or a future week's 50%. I personally DISlike the featherweight bags: with me, they have a history of blowing out at the seams and/or the tip edge. The disposables can be washed and reused two or three times, which is longer than the last three featherweight bags lasted me.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Monday September 17, 2012 11:20 PM

I didn't see anyone suggest an organizer so that would be a consideration with a 50% coupon burning a hole in my pocket if I didn't have an organizer already. I tend to favor the 3" high baking pans (don't forget that Michael's honors JoAnn's coupons too so check out their inventory as well) so I can tort 3 - 1" layers for my cake instead of needing to bake two layers. Just my preference. But not a lot of stores keep them in stock. I like to buy the 1# can of meringue powder with a 50% off coupon. And I agree with the 100 count disposable bags too. How about one of the higher priced turn tables?? I love the ones that raise the cake up 6" off the table surface. Oh~ I know exactly what I'd get if I needed it. It would be the new cake carrier that has the built-in turntable!! The turntable can be placed ON TOP of the cover raising the cake 14" off the table surface to make for REALLY easy icing!! It's WONDERFUL!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

tmana
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 6:37 AM

Aunt Tilly, I have that new cake carrier and while it's convenient for class, I'm not impressed with it as a turntable. It has a tendency to catch and skip.

Report Violation

Bottom

nonni53
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 1:36 PM
View users profile

Today I used the half price coupons to get
A set of square pans
A bag of gum paste
Silicone mini bunt pans ( for pumpkins)
16" disposable bags
Glucose
Baroque mold
Still have the 40% coupons. Already have two totes (one for buttercream work one for fondant and gum paste) and a set of plastic drawers for my cutters and pans. Any more stuff and I'll need a shed!

Report Violation

Bottom

nonni53
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 1:36 PM
View users profile

Today I used the half price coupons to get
A set of square pans
A bag of gum paste
Silicone mini bunt pans ( for pumpkins)
16" disposable bags
Glucose
Baroque mold
Still have the 40% coupons. Already have two totes (one for buttercream work one for fondant and gum paste) and a set of plastic drawers for my cutters and pans. Any more stuff and I'll need a shed!

Report Violation

Bottom

nonni53
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 1:37 PM
View users profile

The reply button on this iPad is touchy.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 8:40 PM

What a great shopping spree!!! Woohoo!! Bet you had a good ole time walking up & down the aisle deciding. I do try to know exactly what I want before going but then there are the times you arrive at the store to find what you wanted isn't in stock........ I'm definitely going to check out some of the Halloween/Fall decorating things for my coupons this week. There's great stuff this year!

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 9:42 PM

Speaking of Halloween and Fall decorations, I already bought my leaf shaped sprinkles. Last year I was too late and couldn't find them anywhere, so now I'm ready!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 11:54 PM

nonni53~~Your post made me re-live the good 'ol days of frantic shopping with my coupons. (That was 2-1/2 years ago.....by the way.)

I was going to jump in with all sorts of suggestions, but I see the burned hole in your pocket got the better of you and you went shopping today.

All of your purchases sound great except for the square pans. The Wilton square pans are NOT square. Unless you purchased the Decorator Preferred Square Pans (not usually sold in craft stores), you may wish to return your square pans. Look at the sides of your pans. Do the outer edges flare out and look like this? \_/

If they "nest", one inside the other, they are pans with angled sides which are really stupid pans. ALL cake pans SHOULD have sides that are straight up like this: l_l

Wilton and other manufacturer's use the flared sides so they can "nest" the pans which reduces inventory storage space needs.

As a hobby baker, I'm very happy with most of my Wilton pan sets. However, the 9" rounds (sold 2 to a package) AND nearly ALL of the square/rectangle Wilton pans are cruddy because they have angled sides.

Report Violation

Bottom

Aunt Tilly
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 2:42 AM

Whoknew~ I've noticed the angled sides on pans as well. The 3" pans don't seem to have this angling issue. Maybe that's another reason why I enjoy them so much. One pan baking, a loftier cake, and straight sides. Huh....who knew, who knew? Sorry.....just hit me as funny right now. Way too tired.........

Report Violation

Bottom

nonni53
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 8:37 AM
View users profile

Well, the fun is not over. Got more half price coupons in an email. These I think I will use to order deeper straight sided pans online. I hadn't thought much about the sloped sides because I always trim the crusts off my cakes top and sides, sometimes bottom if it ends up in the middle. These become cake pops!
Did get my silicone bunt pans washed up and will try to make some little pumpkin cakes today. Has anyone seen displys of pumpkin purée in the stores yet?

Report Violation

Bottom

nonni53
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 8:38 AM
View users profile

B u n d t pans. Autocorrect seems rather male oriented.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 9:09 AM

I read somewhere, probably here, that if you can stack your pans inside each other that they are not perfectly straight. This is why I prefer Magic Line pans. For example, my three 8" rounds do not fit/stack inside each other. Unfortunately they do take up more room when storing. But I love them and keep buying them

I just got an email from Country Kitchen Sweetart w/a $10 off coupon code with a purchase of $50. Their prices are VERY reasonable, at least on Magic Line pans. I would so love to go to their store but it would cost me too much in gas and an entire day of travel. The $10 off would save me the shipping cost, so I may be saying hello to some additional pans myself!!! You should get on their email list.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 11:23 AM

Aunt Tilly~~Now you know why I picked that for my avatar name.

I hate the pans with angled sides. I was so mad when I bought my Wilton square pan set then found out too late to return them that they have angled sides. Wilton should know better. Recently, I almost bought the Wilton 9" round pans that come 2 to a package. Barely found out in time that those have angled sides! The only reason I knew this was because I looked at the photo and saw they were nested inside each other. (Bad Wilton!)

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 3:59 PM
View users profile

I have Fat Daddio squares. They have a slightly rounded corner that Magic Line doesn't have, but it isn't a problem for me. At least they aren't sloped like Wilton.

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 5:28 PM

I have Fat Daddios square and rectangle pans.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: