skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: Hobby Lobby & Foam Core Boards
Created On Wednesday August 22, 2012 10:23 AM
Topic View:

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format

Spooky_789
Posted: Wednesday August 22, 2012 10:23 AM
View users profile

Last night I went to Hobby Lobby to pick up a few supplies for a cake for this weekend. My HL only sells foam core in 20x30 inch sizes, either 3/16" or 1/2" thick. The 3/16" boards were $1.99. Since the boards are located near the picture framing department, I asked the gentleman there if it were possible for him to cut the board for me into four 10x14 inch boards. He said no problem, and no charge!

I know you can buy a hot knife to cut foam core boards, but I haven't invested in one of those. Now that I know HL will do this for me, I may not invest in one. I'm not sure if they do circle cuts, but considering that they do cut out mats for framing in oval shapes, they probably can do circles.

But anyway, it was cheaper for me to have this done, since my closest Michael's is 40 minutes away. I've not seen foam core boards at JoAnns. I just thought I'd share in case any of you could use this information.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Wednesday August 22, 2012 10:57 AM
View users profile

I had no idea that they would do the cutting in the frame department! That is a great thing! And if they will cut circles, I will be an incredibly happy girl! Thanks for this super information, Tori!

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Wednesday August 22, 2012 2:40 PM
View users profile

That is so nice to have a place that will cut the foam core boards..I have a hot knife and able to cut my own circles..Sometimes I will get my brother-in-law to cut me a stack of circles in exchange for some cupcakes..LOL
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

divajai
Posted: Thursday August 23, 2012 6:15 AM

Awww that's nice! I haven't attempted to cut my own boards because I know I'd mess it up. Sometimes the folk at my HL are mean and rude so they may not do it but it's worth a shot... not all of them can be horrid lol.

Report Violation

Bottom

teenykat
Posted: Thursday August 23, 2012 10:36 AM

so seriously what is the trick to cutting circles??? I only do squares for all my cakes....i cant even really draw a straight line with a ruler. they are always crooked.. i cant imagine a clean cut circle... Do Tell!!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Friday August 24, 2012 10:21 PM

CDJ - why not ask about rounds. The worse they can say is NO. Right?

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Saturday August 25, 2012 10:57 AM
View users profile

When cutting circles I found that a real sharp exacto blade or the hot knife do the trick. Since all my boards - that you can see - get covered with some kind of decoration , weather it be wrapping paper or fondant, know one can really tell if they are not perfect. I prefer to have the security of knowing that my cake has a good and proper support..and it saves a ton of money.
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Saturday August 25, 2012 11:28 AM
View users profile

Oh, don't worry mmumsie! I will definitely be asking them to cut rounds for me. I can do it myself (and do) but if they'll do it for me, yay!!!

Report Violation

Bottom

mmumsie
Posted: Saturday August 25, 2012 10:01 PM

Hardware stores will cut rounds. I found that out and love it. MDF here I come!

Report Violation

Bottom

thecakediva40
Posted: Monday September 17, 2012 10:51 PM

The Dollar Tree has the Form Core board for $1.00! Hoppy Lobby charges $1.99 for theirs. Just some fyi

Report Violation

Bottom

Spooky_789
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 8:27 AM
View users profile

What size and do they cut the boards too?

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 8:38 AM

What is your preferred thickness for the foam core boards....1/2 inch?

Report Violation

Bottom

becamico
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 10:26 AM

OH man I made a hell of a mess cutting a straight line last time, I can't imagine cutting my own circles! This is awesome knowledge!

Report Violation

Bottom

ginnyl
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 6:36 PM
View users profile

The foam core at Dollar store is not that strong..learned from experience..so I wait for them to go on sale at Micheal's, usually for 99cents and stock up..and I will use a 50% off coupon when I need the 1/2" boards.
Have gotten the 1/2" foam core very inexpensively at Crafts and Stuff here in Florida..
I find that a sharp exact blade really does the job cutting circles..just lasts a little patience.
ginny

Report Violation

Bottom

tlh
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 10:40 PM

Good to know. Thanks!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Tuesday September 18, 2012 11:45 PM

AWESOME! I've been procrastinating on getting a foam core cutter because, just like Becamico, "I made a hell of a mess cutting a straight line last time, I can't imagine cutting my own circles!"

Whoa.....if Home Depot or Lowes can cut circles to size.....if Michael's frame dept. can cut 1/2" foamcore to size.....I'm there! Unfortunately, I don't have a Hobby Lobby in SoCal.

Report Violation

Bottom

becamico
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 10:41 AM

I didn't even know WE had a HL until a couple of weeks ago. Someone my Mom works with happened to mention it, and she told me and I flipped out! We had them in Texas where I lived but I hadn't seen one here so you can guess where I beelined it to as soon as I could! I can't wait to find out if they'll cut circles here, too.

Whoknew? There are some HLs in the LA area...still too far for you? :(

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 11:14 AM

Becamico, I'm going to a California Cake Club meeting on the weekend of the 29th, and they have one nearby so I'll check it out. (It's about 1-1/2 hours from my home.)

Report Violation

Bottom

becamico
Posted: Wednesday September 19, 2012 7:01 PM

Woohoo!

Report Violation

Bottom

MomToManyBlessings
Posted: Wednesday September 26, 2012 9:08 PM

WhoKnew... I don't know how far south you are in CA; but I think Temecula just got a HL.

Report Violation

Bottom

Pages: [ 1 2 >> Next ]
View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: