skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: metal cookie cutters are rusty after washed
Created On Wednesday April 11, 2012 3:10 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

chrissycalifornia
Posted: Wednesday April 11, 2012 3:10 PM

Hello Im new to this forum. Just curious, has anyone purchase the Wilton cookie cutters and when it washed it become rusted. Is there any suggestion to get rid of the rust on the metal cookie cutters? I recently purchased mini Easter cookie cutters. I left it too long and forgot to take it out to wash it out. Unfortunately, it turned rusty, tried my best to clean the rust off. I really dont want to toss it away it's very expensive. Any suggetion?

Chrissy

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Wednesday April 11, 2012 3:20 PM

I treat them the same way I do my black iron skillets. I always *heat* them a bit before I put them away. I put them on a cookie sheet and put them in a warm oven for a bit. I've also been known to lay them in a skillet and turn the burner on for a bit. Don't cook them. You're just wanting to give them a little heat to get them dry. This tends to dry them better and they won't rust on you. Put a paper towel in with them to absorb any moisture when you put them away or store them in their tins.

Report Violation

Bottom

my3angels
Posted: Thursday April 12, 2012 12:34 AM

Scrub them with sos pads...then put them on a cooling rack/cookie sheet and put it in the oven for a few minutes to let them dry. I had 28 students in my cake class today and they used my cutters. I put all of them in a bowl and add dish detergent and hot water to the bowl I then strain in under hot water until all the soap was removed and right now as "we speak"...they are in the oven. I just turned the oven off and I will remove them in the morning.

Report Violation

Bottom

CollectorEJ
Posted: Thursday April 12, 2012 3:02 AM
View users profile

Do be careful not to overheat the oven -- I did one time and my cookie cutter came apart and I had to have it soddered back together.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Thursday April 12, 2012 11:11 AM

CollectorEJ, I've had that to happen as well. That's why I said you don't want to cook them. I should have explained why.

Report Violation

Bottom

FRIBWL
Posted: Friday April 13, 2012 9:24 AM
View users profile

I wash them good. Rinse. Place in hot hot water after clean for a minute. Let dry in dishwasher over night. Lay them out separately.

Report Violation

Bottom

MARIE J
Posted: Saturday April 14, 2012 6:26 AM

chrissycalifornia - Welcome to the forum !!!

I'm with Sugar Pie on the treatment of the cutters !!!

I 'dry' my cake pans the same way !!! Put them into a hot oven, then turn it off, and leave them in there !!!

Report Violation

Bottom

whoknew?
Posted: Saturday April 14, 2012 5:19 PM

After all this time, you experienced bakers still surprise me! I don't do any of that (but then I also hardly ever do cookies!). I put mine in a bowl of hot soapy water to get off the fresh dough, then VERY lightly brush with a cleaning brush if needed, but mostly, just spray them with kitchen sink spray attachment. Then I lay them on a dry dish towel to drip dry. After about 10 minutes I transfer them (they are mostly dry at this point), to a second, DRY dish towel and leave them overnight.

chrissycalifornia, you HAVE to clean and dry them right away. Once you leave 'em......ooops.

Report Violation

Bottom

LesaVaughn
Posted: Wednesday April 18, 2012 8:24 PM

I do steps similar to Who Knew except I do place mine in the dishwasher in a lingerie bag that I hook to one of the glass stems so it doesn't tumble off into the bottom section of the dishwasher. When I take them out of the bag, they are usually damp as they were in the lingerie bag. So I dry them with a towel and lie them on another towel to finish drying for a few hours or overnight. IF they are very old cutters I will absolutely wash them by hand but newer ones into the dishwasher they go. I feel that removes the grease and flour better as I often use my cutters too for fondant.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: