skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: When do icing colors expire?
Created On Thursday January 19, 2012 5:46 PM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

TracyD08
Posted: Thursday January 19, 2012 5:46 PM

I have unopened icing color jars purchased approximately a year ago. Are they still ok to use? I also have opened ones from a year ago, are they ok to use? I also have an unopened white white bottle of icing color from a year ago, is it ok to use? Thank you for guidance!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Thursday January 19, 2012 7:50 PM

I always go by if:

1. It smells funky.
2. It has funky little clumps/dots in it.
3. It is gummy or stringy.

..........then I pitch it!!!!!!! They are only $1.30 here and not worth the aggravation of trying to use glycerin to revive it back to life. It is too easy to just buy a new bottle in my opinion.

My 2 cents worth,
Bunny

Report Violation

Bottom

TracyD08
Posted: Thursday January 19, 2012 8:17 PM

Thanks! I appreciate it. I am new to this whole world. Do you ever refrigerate your icing after you've colored it, but before you put it on the cake? I friend of mine does this and I wondered if it was helpful for the medium consistency decorations.

Report Violation

Bottom

cakedujour
Posted: Thursday January 19, 2012 8:54 PM
View users profile

I spread my icing at room temperature. If I have a soft icing than I want to pipe flower petals with, or if it is a very hot day I might put it in the fridge, but that almost never happens. I don't have hot hands either so I don't often have need to use cold icing. Frankly, I think cold icing would cause problems when covering a cake. Smooth and creamy works for me, not cold and stiff.

Report Violation

Bottom

TracyD08
Posted: Friday January 20, 2012 7:11 AM

Thank you very much! That makes sense. After you decorate a cake with buttercream icing, what is the best way to store it? I am making the cake today and it will be served Sunday afternoon. Also, I was wondering if you have any experience with the color mist food spray and could advise for first time use. I've posted a new topic with this question. Thank you!

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday January 20, 2012 10:54 AM

Storing depends on a few factors:

1. Heat & humidity
Is it really hot & humid in your house/kitchen? I would recommend refrigerating it then.

2. Perishable filling
Did you put a perishable filling in between your cake layers? If yes, then it must be refrigerated.

3. Perishable icing
Did you use a cream cheese or whipped icing that is perishable? If yes, then it must be refrigerated.

Report Violation

Bottom

TracyD08
Posted: Friday January 20, 2012 4:21 PM

I used duncan hines homestyle butter cream icing from the can with karo syrup or confectioners sugar mixed in along with the icing colors. I also used a can of caramel icing (i think duncan hines) in between the two cakes as filling. That was it. Do you think it's ok to sit on the counter top until Sunday afternoon? Thanks for your help

Report Violation

Bottom

bunnywoman
Posted: Friday January 20, 2012 6:54 PM

Well this it what it says straight from the Duncan Hines website:

Store unopened can at room temperature, not over 90°F.
Stir room temperature frosting in can before using (cold frosting is difficult to spread).
Cool cake completely. Brush loose crumbs off cake before frosting.
Cover and refrigerate any remaining frosting for up to 2 weeks.

Report Violation

Bottom

pasteles de inglaterra
Posted: Saturday January 21, 2012 11:09 AM

here in southern mexico I have to refrigerate the Dh icing, until about 15 minutes before use.
It is then perfect.
I then stir it very well.
The humidity is very high here and so is the temperature.

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: