skip to content

FREE SHIPPING on all orders over $50! *Limited to domestic U.S. orders only.

Discussion Forum

Navigation:
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Topic Title: BETTERCREAM - questions on using it
Created On Monday November 14, 2011 9:13 AM
Topic View:

View thread in raw text format

dietcokenoice
Posted: Monday November 14, 2011 9:13 AM

I purchased a container of Rich's vanilla flavored Bettercream (not buttercream) at Gordon Foods and have a few specific questions. I already searched here, but couldn't find what I was looking for. I bought the 32 oz pkg that you have to whip up yourself. I want to make a cake that has a lemon curd type filling and I want to frost it using the Bettercream. I found a frosting recipe that called for a whipped icing, then you add a small box of instant lemon pudding and some lemon zest. The recipe wasn't very specific. I've never used Bettercream before so my questions are:

1. When do I add the pudding mix - during whipping or after?
2. Can I make the frosting, refrigerate it and frost cake the next day or does it deflate?
3. How much does the 32 oz package make? The pkg doesn't say and either does their website.
4. Can I use the bettercream as a dam prior to filling with the lemon curd, will it be stiff enough?
5. Is this stuff like Cool Whip?
6. Any tips/advice you have for me?

Thanks so very much.

Report Violation

Bottom

Baker_Rose
Posted: Monday November 14, 2011 12:50 PM

Well, I can't answer all your questions, but here goes. I used to work for a bakery and we used the liquid Bettercream. It whips like heavy cream, but you have to keep an eye on it and DON'T overwhip because then it's texture becomes very weird. However, underwhipping it and then sticking it in the fridge makes it liquidy. The more you use it the more you "just know". Yes, you can whip it and then refrigerate and use it over the next couple of days.

The gallon of liquid filled a 20 quart bowl after it was whipped, I'm thinking that the quart size would fill a 5 qt bowl. Making enough to finish two or three 8-inch 2layer round cakes.

It has the consistency of a thick whipped cream, it isn't heavy at all and I would think that a thick lemon curd may leak out. I would have the lemon curd thick enough to stand on its own and cold when putting the cake together.

It tastes like Cool Whip to me.

I don't know about the pudding mix, I haven't heard about that one.

It's an okay product. Of all the "non-Dairy" whipped toppings that I have tasted it tastes the best, but it is very sweet and artificial tasting. Some people love it, so it really depends on your personal taste and what end product you are going for. It's made with hydrogenated oils and high fructose corn syrup. Two things that I'm trying to cut back on and I try to make scratch icing recipes because getting this product means either a LOT of travel or a high postage. Neither I want, so I try to make due without. However I do find myself buying it in the late Spring for the freezer because customers do like it with Strawberry cakes. The rest of the year I don't get as much of a request for it.

Tami

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Tuesday November 15, 2011 1:50 AM

Here is a recipe from the Rich's website. It's for a cookies and creme pie, but I thought you might get an idea on how to mix your pudding in with the whipped topping. I've always added mine at the beginning, but they add theirs a little later in the process.
http://www.richsfoodservice.com/solutions/recipes/desserts/cookies-and-creme-pie/11

You could use lemon extract to make your lemon Bettercreme icing. The extract won't change the texture as much as the pudding will, and it will give it a nice, light flavor. The lemon zest will be a perfect addition. In my experience, the pudding gives it a thicker texture ~ not so light and fluffy as when using extracts. You'll also have to be very careful or you will over whip your product.
I've always used one - 1 ounce bottle of Goodman's flavored extract to a gallon of Bettercreme. I've used Bettercreme and made all kinds of flavors using extracts, puddings, Kool Aid, Jell-O, peanut butter, etc. (Pina' colada is one of my favorites - a mixture of rum, pineapple and coconut extracts.)

You can make the frosting, refrigerate and use it without having to re-whip. I usually set my timer to 8 minutes, but I don't wander far from the bowl. It can over whip in an instant, so I try to keep a constant eye on it. I'm usually making a whole gallon, so it won't take as long for you to whip 32 ounces. One way to tell when it's whipped is to look for it to lose its shine. If you watch, you'll see what I'm talking about. Be very careful not to over whip. If you do, you can add a little of the liquid product or liquid Coffe Mate to thin if back out, but....it will never actually be the same texture. (Could I possibly say whip/whipped one more time. Ha!!) It does make you think Cool Whip, but the texture and taste are much better. It's actually kind of fun to work with. If the 32 ozs. makes too much for you, you can either freeze or refrigerate the leftovers, or...just grab a spoon.

I've used the fillings that come in a bag, and it holds those fillings in just fine. Make sure that your lemon curd is thick and not runny. Make a pretty wide dam, and don't press down on your cakes too hard when putting the top layer over the filling.
Lemon would be one of my favorite flavors. I love lemon curd and white cake! I hope you have fun making your cake.
~Sugar Pie

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday November 16, 2011 8:09 AM

Thank you Baker_Rose and Sugar Pie. WOW, that was alot of information!!!! I called Rich's about this product and I got transferred around a bit and then ended up having to leave a msg. Later some guy called me and said they didn't know about it and that I needed to call a place called Dessert Builders and gave me the number. I called them and they make cakes for Rich's but use the stuff already made up and said they never add anything to it. So they were no help. Then, even later another guy called me saying he just checked the answering machine and wanted to make sure I got called back. He was so very nice, but unfortunately didn't have the answers I was looking for. But, he talked on and on about the product and how great it is and blah blah blah. I just listened and let him go on. Finally, he says to me "I have to go, I have another call". I had to laugh because he was the one that called me!!!!!

So, thank you again very much for all the info. When I try it, I'll have to post my findings since no one at Rich's can answer my questions.

Report Violation

Bottom

dietcokenoice
Posted: Wednesday November 16, 2011 8:42 AM

Sugar Pie - I checked out that website and it has alot of good information. I just wonder why no one at Rich's was able to tell me about this. I found this little video clip showing how they add juice prior to whipping and later stir in coconut. I don't care for coconut (unless covered in chocolate!!) but interesting to watch.

http://www.richsfoodservice.com/solutions/trainingtroubleshooting/22-richs-culinary-team-video-tips/202-deanna-day-cce-cec-culinary-manager

The sad part about all this is that it certainly makes me think about food at restaurants. I'm always thinking they are back in the kitchen making all this stuff from scratch, and now I'm seeing all these ready made products that they are probably using. Makes you wonder. I usually don't buy ready made items unless I'm in a time crunch. Thanks again.

Report Violation

Bottom

Sugar Pie
Posted: Thursday November 17, 2011 10:32 AM

Your welcome!
I watched the clip. What she's using is a totally different product than what you have. It's Rich's Whipped Topping Base ~ Base being the key word. You have to add a liquid to that product. You DO NOT add liquid to Rich's Bettercreme ~ you just pour it in the mixing bowl & mix at a medium speed until it forms the soft peaks. I'm just pointing this out so you don't ruin your product with a liquid.

I found my recipes for different flavors of Bettercreme. When I was answering your question the other night, I was having to be quiet, and couldn't make a lot of racket.
One of my other favorites is banana. You use 1 oz. banana extract and 1 small jar pureed banana baby food. It taste wonderful! I had forgotten about using baby food! Keep in mind that I'm using a WHOLE gallon of Bettercreme.
To make the peanut butter, whip to a stiff consistency and then blend in some peanut butter for about 20 seconds. It doesn't work well if you add the peanut butter at the beginning of the mix.

Here's a cake club you might be interested in: http://www.cakepros.com/

The site is sponsored by Rich Products Corporation. I've suggested this site before, but didn't know if anyone ever joined. It's especially helpful for beginners. You might get some cute ideas in the cupcake section for pull-apart cupcakes.

I use to work in a bakery. Going in, I thought that everything would be procuded on sight. Much to my surprise, the majority of the product arrived frozen. It was brought out of the freezer the night before so that it could thaw and be ready to proof & bake when the morning shift arrived. Very few items were actually made in the bakery, and those that were came in big bags of mix ~ you mixed so much of the mix and added eggs & water. Ocassionally we made things from scratch. I was always making banana bread, bread puddings and things like that. The cakes came in frozen and the icing was in buckets. I was the cake decorator. I used the icing in the buckets for birthdays & special orders, but I never used it for the wedding cakes. I made my own. I also baked the wedding cakes. I loved working there! Much like you, I was saddened that the products were pre-fab. About the only thing that I have ever bought is the cookies. O. M. Gosh! They were delicious hot out of the oven! What a shame that some of them got broken while being transferred from the pan to the tray. Everyone was the baker's friend at that time of day!
Although the restaurants are using these items, there is still a lot of prep work going on in the kitchen.
I've enjoyed this thread. I hope I haven't talked your ear off! Ha!

Report Violation

Bottom

View thread in raw text format
FORUMS > Products < REFRESH >
Navigation: